car wont start - battery problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car wont start - battery problem

I left my headlights on for about an hour and the battery died. Nothing works, no lights on the dash, remote trunk/powerlocks do not work. I took the battery inside and let it charge for 45 min - 1 hour, and nothing. Before I took the battery out, when I turned the key, there were 2 distinct clicking noises, one from the engine, the other I don't know. Now after the battery was 'charged', there is no sound at all from the engine when I turn the key, the engine doesn't want to turn over and there is no juice anywhere, the charger was on 12volt, 10 amps (trickle). What's up with my battery?

it dead

ours cars have some horrible batteries it seems...time for a new one

Comment

you possibly killed the battery so bad even a charge won't fix it. By the way it's gonna take a hell of a lot longer for a trickle charger to charge a completely dead battery. I have a battery charger on wheels and in my other cars I would put the charger on engine crank for the first 10-15 mins then take it down a notch.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I'd invest in a new battery. This has been discussed many times. Try the search feature up top and you will find some more insight in this problem.

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

these batteries are terrible, mine died on me twice before i got fed up and replaced it. just be glad its your battery and not the alternator or something
          just remember, fat kids are harder to kidnap

Comment

I've heard numerous members talk about how shitty their batteries are but I have never had a single problem with mine at all

*knock on wood*
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
              I've heard numerous members talk about how shitty their batteries are but I have never had a single problem with mine at all

*knock on wood*
              Me too....

shouldn't this be in the "troubleshooting section"?

Comment

actually yes it should, where the damn moderators at

Comment

*knock on wood*
                  Word.

Comment

I had the same problem. Call a dealer and have them fix it. It will still be covered under warranty.

Comment

I understand the car's battery is dead but if you are talking about your G6. It should not have happened. You see Gm cars and trucks have what they call RAP. RAP stands for Retained Accessory Power. Which turns off anything that might drain the battery if left on after ignition is turned off. It turns everything off after about 10-20 min. Radio and ect. Just some info to go by.
                      Here we......GO! 06 G6 GTP M6 coupe, performance package.(Fully loaded for 06). stealth gray metallic or 59U - GRANITE METALLIC. GM Peformance strut bar, Hammer Head Spoiler, GM Body Kit, Chrome Lower Grille Inserts, MSD Dash Hawk, Head Light Eye Lids, HID Conversion-10,000K. ZEX Nitrous Kit 75 Shot-Wet. (New Add On!)

If I had something smart to say, I would be smart enough not too!

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire

*knock on wood*
                        Word.
                        :smoke:
                        Here we......GO! 06 G6 GTP M6 coupe, performance package.(Fully loaded for 06). stealth gray metallic or 59U - GRANITE METALLIC. GM Peformance strut bar, Hammer Head Spoiler, GM Body Kit, Chrome Lower Grille Inserts, MSD Dash Hawk, Head Light Eye Lids, HID Conversion-10,000K. ZEX Nitrous Kit 75 Shot-Wet. (New Add On!)

Comment

Originally posted by BIG ISH
                          I understand the car's battery is dead but if you are talking about your G6. It should not have happened. You see Gm cars and trucks have what they call RAP. RAP stands for Retained Accessory Power. Which turns off anything that might drain the battery if left on after ignition is turned off. It turns everything off after about 10-20 min. Radio and ect. Just some info to go by.

You're probably thinking of battery run-down protection, which shuts off things like the interior lights after 10-15 minutes to save the battery. Headlights are not included in battery run-down.

RAP is something different - just keeps power going to the accessories (radio, windows, sunroof, heated seats, etc.) after the key is turned off for 10 minutes or until the driver door is opened.

Comment

^ Agree :smoke:

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. My problem wasn't a dead battery. When I reconnected the cables to the battery I didn't turn the screw on the negative terminal far enough. I turned it not even a 1/4 turn and it started right up.

Comment

Working...
                              X