Changing to Synthetic motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to Synthetic motor oil

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm going to be changing my oil today either by the dealer or I'll do it myself depending if they're gonna charge me an arm and a leg. Anyhoot I know there are different ways of changing from conventional oil to synthetic. I thought about just buying an extra quart of Mobil 1 and draining the oil and just letting the extra quart run through the engine and drain out before filling the car completely with synthetic. Suggestions would be awesome sauce!
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

I've honestly never heard of a "way" to do it besides just filling it up with Synthetic haha... I plan on doing mine for my next oil change, I'll be interested to see what others responses are to this question!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Well if I took it in and watched them I'm sure they just drain it and pour the Mobil 1 right in, seems like you would want to pour an extra quart in there first to kinda rinse the old conventional oil out, but hopefully some members know whats up!
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

wow what timing. im actually changing my oil over tomorrow, though i wasnt planning on running the extra quart, i would like to know what people think...good timing and question lojac

Comment

Thanks, I'm doing my own today so I guess I'll just do the extra quart thing since no one has really said much.

Comment

yeh i might follow in your steps, i just got the 5 qrt jug so im not planning on keeping it around for 1 qt..hopefully this will help, like you said, to get old stuff out

Comment

Hey what weight did you buy-is it Mobil 1?

Comment

yes and 5w-30

Comment

It really won't make a difference. The small amount of the thicker dino oil that remains won't stop the synthetic from doing it's job in any way. All you're doing by running a quart of sythetic through it is putting a 5 dollar bill in the drain pan under your car. Besides, it doesn't go through the entire system anyway, just the shortest passage to the bottom.

I'd skip the rinse step and just treat it like a normal oil change.
                  Just my .02
                  2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                  :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                  :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                  :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Hmm good point Mr. Kyle, thanks man.

Comment

Here's the way I did it:

1. Shift to second from third at red line.
                      2. Bend three intake and three exhaust valves.
                      3. Wait 34 days for the dealer to get parts to fix it.
                      4. Dealer installs new parts and puts Synthetic in.
                      5. Car runs amazing now.

sigpic
                      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Quick question, I know the oil cap on the car says 5W 30 but when I switched to Mobil 1 today I went with 10W 30-I didn't even think about the 5W 30 and just bought the "universal" synthetic weight. You guys think 10W30 is fine??

Comment

oh yeah you would be fine, the 10 is just a bit thicker at warmer temps. Which you have lol. I was actually going to do that, but the guy already had it in before I thought to say anything. BTW it's 0.3 degrees here right now and a -15 wind chill! SO, enjoy that heat!
                          "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Comment

the fram touch guard oil filter has two numbers according to my autozone store

i got the tg3675, ill let you know if it fits on monday

Comment

This post has some more information about oil approved by GM and a list of GM 6094M approved oils.

I looked on page 5-18 through 5-20 of the owners manual and I felt that the diagram on page 5-19 was vague. In fact, that entire section has always been very vague ever since GM had the 5w-30 and 10w-30 controversy starting in the mid 1980's. One would think that GM would try to simplify this standard once and for all. The manual seems to encourage 5w-30 oil that meets GM6094M standards while at the same time not completely rule out 10w-30 oil.

However, in extreme cold weather of -20 degrees F or lower, the manual mentions on page 5-20 to use either 5w-30 synthetic or 0W-30 standard dino oil.

It also states to not use 10w-40 and not to use 20w-50 or any other viscosity.

A friend of mine who used to work for the Buick dealership where I live told me that at one time, GM had a standard that had a horizontal line across the USA that started on the east coast right above Richmond, VA and ended on the west coast above Sacramento, CA and above Santa Rosa, CA. If you lived north of this line, you had to use 5w-30 at all times. If you lived south of this line, you could use either 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil but never 0w30, 10w-40, nor 20w-50.

Comment

Working...
                              X