Funny Idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny Idle?

Does anyone know if the Malibu Maxx SS has a normally rough idle or where the RPM's should sit at idle?

Mine are sitting around 500-600 and sometime kicks/boggs while idling. Not when accelerating or anything just sitting at a light on the brake or even in park. Has a rough shake to the car. Normal or no?

My car will do that sometimes. I blame GM, for not being able to make a pushrod motor.
    Crimson Brotherhood Member

Comment

lol...

All pushrod engines run a little rough at idle. It's the nature of the beast.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Just tell people you have a cam.
        Crimson Brotherhood Member

Comment

When I had my 2005 Malibu MAXX LT, it would do that when sitting in traffic. It would idle any where between 500-700, and there were a couple times when it felt like the car was going to stall out. Freaked me out one time when I was leaving the Motor City Bowl in Detroit last year...I thought I was going to be stranded. But all was well. So I would just say it is a characteristic of the engines in the Malibu, as well as I "assume" the G6.
          2007 G6 Base V6 Sport Package
          Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic
          Panoramic Sun Roof

Comment

LMAO about the telling people I have a cam!!!

Yeah I felt the same way there is a few times it will drop close to 500 and feel like someone is letting off the clutch in a manual car without enough gas, it freaked me out especially when I just bought the thing my first reaction was "oh he## no, they sold me a lemon that someone raced hard and beat to $h!t!" But ok glad to see im not crazy. Thanks guys.

Comment

No problem, any other q's about the Malibu MAXX let me know. It was a fun car to drive for two years. I thought it was very useful for moving around and great on gas. But it just was not my style once I found the G6
              2007 G6 Base V6 Sport Package
              Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic
              Panoramic Sun Roof

Comment

Yeah, I own a VW Golf & a VW Jetta with a G60 Swap, Im currently selling the Golf but comparing that to the malibu on gas mileage I got better in the Golf but thats expected in a 4 Cylinder. I went from 1 tank every week & a half to 1 tank every 5 days. Its going to take some getting used to. However I just bought my malibu exactly 1 week ago from today and I drove the golf yesterday to pass emissions since they suspended my license for it (never got a notice since I moved) and it felt foreign to me. It was smaller and slower and ackward!

I can't get over the feel of owning my first V6 3.9L. The only car I ever owned new was a mirage 1.8L. I love the pickup. I just hate that the car looks so good and there really isn't many mods I would want to do to it other than simple things, I dont want to make it look tuner or anything but It would be nice to take to some shows with a local car crew. Or even get-togethers without looking like every other one out there. Ya know?

Comment

funny HA HA funny or like not so funny??
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

my 04 maxx with the 3.5 idles a bit rough, it got a little smoother after i got my new exhaust.

Comment

yeah my 3.5 idles rough as shit also, it used to be really smooth but now the damn thing is like sitting in the cab of a semi at idle
                      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thanks, you guys know how to make someone really want to keep this car! LoL...I wouldn't mind changing the exhaust but it already has chrome dual pipes on it. I guess I could keep the pipes and just change the exhaust.

Comment

i have a malibu LT, so i had to have my duals put on there. you may be able to keep the tips you have, i'm not sure.

Comment

Mine idles rough as well, 16k miles or so on it, owned it less than a year (its got the 3.9L). I've taken it to the dealership twice to have it looked at, and it didn't help, so I've resolved not to worry about it. I got another two years on the warranty, if it gives me any actual trouble I'll go yell at them

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Originally posted by wormhole
                              Mine idles rough as well, 16k miles or so on it, owned it less than a year (its got the 3.9L). I've taken it to the dealership twice to have it looked at, and it didn't help, so I've resolved not to worry about it. I got another two years on the warranty, if it gives me any actual trouble I'll go yell at them
                              Mine has about the same amount of miles same engine. I just assume its a fluke in design. I've learned to ignore it. I have an extended warranty as well so not to worry. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X