Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using 235/50-18 on the GTP wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using 235/50-18 on the GTP wheels?

I'm trying to find tires for the 06 GTP Coupe, but there isn't much to pick from in the stock size. I have read everything I can find, measured, and done my homework but I'm still not sure that 235/50-18 will clear the bottom of the strut.

Is anyone actually using this size on the stock wheels? The clearance looks really, really close to begin with. Less than .5 inches from the looks of it. Specifically, I am looking at the Toyo Proxes 4 in this size.

Unfortunatly it looks like 235/45-18 will not fit on a 7" wide wheel.

If anyone is actually using them I would love to hear about it before I shell out hundreds of dollars on tires I'm not sure will fit.

Thanks!

Hmm, I guess nobody here has used them yet. I called Discount Tire and they assured me that they have sold 235/50-18's for the G6 GTP and they do fit.

When I get them I will post my results.

Comment

You'll be fine with that size, it's not a big jump from the stock 225/50R18.
      Originally posted by TLS2000
      It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

yes they fit just fine and they ride and handle great. Got a set of BFG KDWS's from ONLINETIRES. com for 360 otd. Had them mounted and ballanced for 35 bucks.
        6spd silver g6 is my daily driver. love the car too many problems

Comment

yes they do fit im using kumho ecsta rsx 235/50r18 one my front tires right now until i get more green backs so i can get 4 new all the way around but here is some pics, sorry for the dirty pics, weather has been off and on past couple of weeks

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

If you could, take some pictures of the rear of the tire to see how wind they are on the rim.
            2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
            Black/Black coupe

Comment

crap, that's close!

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

so u hit a slight bump, and u feel it?
                2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                Black/Black coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jerrodmann
                  If you could, take some pictures of the rear of the tire to see how wind they are on the rim.
                  i will take some tomorrw when theres some light out.

Originally posted by jerrodmann
                  so u hit a slight bump, and u feel it?
                  nope feels normal, got to remember the shock and spring moves above that all so the tires wont rub

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                  Originally posted by ahuhn
                  so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

I wish I could agree they fit fine and tell you that I have 4 new tires now, but I can't. The 4 BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS in 235/50/18 that Discount Tire assured me would fit, don't! They let it down off the rack and it touches the strut. They had me start it and turn the wheels and you could hear it rub.

They're taking them back and paying shipping.

Comment

hmm, Im planning on getting 235/45/17 I hope those dont have any problems. Ill make sure I talk to someone who assures me they'll fit.
                      BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I have a base sedan and I plan on getting the eibachs to lower it. I also want to get 18 inch rims and put 235/35-18's tires on it. Do u think that they will fit or not?

Comment

Originally posted by MP2
                          I wish I could agree they fit fine and tell you that I have 4 new tires now, but I can't. The 4 BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS in 235/50/18 that Discount Tire assured me would fit, don't! They let it down off the rack and it touches the strut. They had me start it and turn the wheels and you could hear it rub.

They're taking them back and paying shipping.
                          I'm confused.

It looks like "SnowmanG6" is happy with his 225/50/18's and MP2's are rubbing against the struts.

Can someone else comment on their tire upgrade.
                          I need new tires ASAP and was going to go with the 225/50/18. I don't plan on dropping the car and therefore do not want to increase the fender/wheel gap.

Later,
                          Chris in Ottawa
                          Black GTP, 6-speed
                          Ottawa, Ontario
                          Go Sens!!!

Comment

Re: Anyone using 235/50-18 on the GTP wheels?

Originally posted by MP2
                            I'm trying to find tires for the 06 GTP Coupe, but there isn't much to pick from in the stock size. I have read everything I can find, measured, and done my homework but I'm still not sure that 235/50-18 will clear the bottom of the strut.

Is anyone actually using this size on the stock wheels? The clearance looks really, really close to begin with. Less than .5 inches from the looks of it. Specifically, I am looking at the Toyo Proxes 4 in this size.

Unfortunatly it looks like 235/45-18 will not fit on a 7" wide wheel.

If anyone is actually using them I would love to hear about it before I shell out hundreds of dollars on tires I'm not sure will fit.

Thanks!
                            Who told you a 235/45-18 will not fit on the stock rim? It will fit just fine, and your speedo would be closer to the OEM tires.
                            2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                            Forge Motorsports BPV
                            CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                            HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                            HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

I'm going with 225/45/W18. Is the difference between the 50 and 45 just the profile of the tire? But how could I have a lower profile, but the 225 is the same as stock and I'm getting the same size rims? I've been explained before, but I still don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X