Speed Limiters for Semi Trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Limiters for Semi Trucks?

I thought this was kind of a good idea...

http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/200 ... 40750.html

What do you guys think?

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

I didnt read the whole thing yet but, YES! It's a good idea.
    2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

I've come to many close calls with big rigs on the highway.. they really do need to slow the frig down

Comment

Most are good drivers but sometimes I see them going way too fast and driving way to aggressive. There were a few accidents in the Chicago area in the last few years involving semi's where people were killed, one a Semi plowed into the back of a bus.
        2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

I don't know... I don't like it
          Originally posted by TLS2000
          Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
          GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

I REALLY disagree...... I drive a 16ft desiel truck in the summer for my job. You dont understand what some of the trucks go through to you drive them. Even on long stright aways that you think are flat always arent there accally going up hill and if you have a load on its a B*tch to get the F-er up and now your doing like 50 in a 65 and people all fliping out lik its your fault. Next, when in a hill area and going down hill, yes you HAVE to get over the limit in a 65 to like 70-75 MPH so when going back up hill you slow back down to 55 or slower. And yes the trucks stays floor 90+% of the time.

Am not saying its right but thats why truckers drive like they do even cut-ish people off some times because its hard to mantian a decent speed half the time. So you dont want to get stuck behind an A-hole doing 50 in a 65 because with a load ONCE you get around him it takes a few mins NOT secs to get from 50-65 MPH again.

Then while all the cars go by the truckers get it hard with wieght stations and rendom desiel inspection all the time. Its far from easy to drive a desiel truck then now with a speed govonor limit.
            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
            Gotta have it Green color
            Brembo brake package
            420 HP 5.0L
            Ford Racing Power Pack
            GT500 track pack differential cover
            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I can imagine its difficult to drive a truck especially with a full load, not to mention all the bad drivers out there. And then there is the subject of getting the load delivered on time. However, I still think its a good idea. No one is trying to limit the horsepower though, just the top speed. So it shouldnt be an issue for steep grades etc.
              2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

inertia helps on the steep grades

inertia is based on speed, not power

Comment

if only there was some way to make them slow down on the straightaways then be able to up the ante while going up steep hills and stuff.

i can imagine it must be really hard to drive one of those things..

Comment

I'd rather be next to a semi at high speeds than a Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                      I'd rather be next to a semi at high speeds than a Honda Civic

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                      - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                      - DS S3 Intake
                      - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

I could careless how fast they are going, i get past them easy enough. But i wish they would do something about their speeds during bad weather. Weather permits 45 in a 55 and those mother truckers come flyin by at 75mph. Now that is
                        Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Thats the thing, esp with desiel, there EXCELENT on low end and torque to get 10s of thousands of pounds moving but there not a top end engine. Your do need inertia to get go moving up. Alot of tractor trailers with V8 engines pushing 400-500 HP are still floored off of red lights and hope to see 0-60 MPH in 2-3mins. So climbing a hill with no inertia just HP as is........

I think if they are going to do a truck speed-govonor it should atleast let it be 75 MPH. That I belive is resonable to alow enough inertia gain plus be safe enough to operate. I agree they shouldnt be doing 80+ MPH but they need to alow a resonable speed. Alot of the interstates esp 95 in NC, SC and GA is 70MPH and then you wont even be able to travel the speed limit...... Just my oppinon though
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I do think that 68 MPH is a big slow for the majority of the highways, especially the ones that the limit is 70 MPH. I'm thinking that maybe 75-78 would be a reasonable number. But I do not know a thing about these trucks, but I do know that they do not need to be going past 80.. I remember once I was keeping up with a semi going 90.. I was just testing to see how fast it was going because it was weaving in and out of other cars. I can't say that ALL truck drivers disobey the road rules like that, but I see more bad truck drivers than good ones usually.

Comment

I see a lot of truckers in nebraska, for the most part they are good drivers. Friend of mine is a trucker and now have a lot more respect for what they do.
                              Crimson Brotherhood Member

Comment

Working...
                              X