DelHuge 2006 Malibu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DelHuge 2006 Malibu

Hi everyone ! I am DelHuge and I live in Quebec, Canada. I am new on this forum and I subscribed for one reason in particular. I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS, a close sister to the Pontiac G6 GT-P. I would like to replace my actual radio, cluster and climate control with the ones from a 2008 Chevy Malibu or from a 2009.5 Pontiac G6. Getting the cluster, the radio and the climate control is not really a problem. I read that the cluster and climate control are pretty plug and play. About the radio, I read that I need a different wiring harness. I would like to know please where I can find the right parts. Thank you all for your help !

DelHuge

Re: DelHuge 2006 Malibu

Welcome!

As far as the radio goes, I know you said you want to grab one from another Malibu or G6, but are you sure you wouldn't consider an aftermarket radio? If you would like to go that route, you can go to www.crutchfield.com and they'll figure out everything for you as far as fitment and installation goes.
    Eagle Eyes Projector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/QKH9rY

Spyder Auto Projector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/1iNrmzr

Like-OEM Reflector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/1sPAjQi

Comment

Welcome to the club!
      Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by D0M1NIX View Post
        Welcome!

As far as the radio goes, I know you said you want to grab one from another Malibu or G6, but are you sure you wouldn't consider an aftermarket radio? If you would like to go that route, you can go to www.crutchfield.com and they'll figure out everything for you as far as fitment and installation goes.
        Well, I don't want to spend to much for it, and I would like to keep the Driver Information Center on. What I am looking at is to get the 2009.5 G6 or 2008 Malibu radio with USB and AUX connection. Thank you for your answer !

DelHuge

Comment

Oops... Double post, sorry.
          Last edited by DelHuge; 09-11-2014, 10:25 AM. Reason: Double post.

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
            Welcome to the club!
            Thank you !

Comment

Welcome!
              I looked into swapping a Malibu cluster into the g6.
              The wiring is different and the connectors are too.
              If it would work there would be quite a bit of splicing involved... And IIRC there's more wires on the Malibu cluster than the g6.

As for the climate control I also looked into swapping the automatic one for the manual one... Again the wiring is pretty different and would likely require more splicing, as well as adding wires/sensors.

Does the Malibu have the DIC in the stereo too?

Comment

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25884 Follow that link to the info on how to swap clusters. That will be your best bet especially when it comes to the DIC. The 2009.5 and 2010 cluster both have DIC built in (i.e. no more dic in radio needed) Then just get an aaftermarket radio and the required harness and you are good to go.
                Current Mods: Window Tint 20% except front windshield, Black CCFL Eagle Eyes (Currently being Retrofitted w/ Quad Projectors, RGB Halos, RGB Demon Eyes, LED Turn Signals, Body Color Eyelid), Pioneer front speakers, Polk Audio 6x9, 2 Boss Audio Phantom 12" Subwoofers, Boss Audio Phantom 2600Watt Amplifier, Dual 12" non ported enclosure, GTP Wheels, LED interior and Exterior Conversion, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, Racingline MMI's, Plasti dipped black recessed upper and lower grills, Plasti Dipped black door handles, door trim, fuel door, Decepticon badges in place of GM door badges, 2009.5 Sedan Spoiler, Custom Side Exit Exhaust, GXP Rear Bumper, Canuck Lowering Springs (on their way)

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                  Welcome!
                  I looked into swapping a Malibu cluster into the g6.
                  The wiring is different and the connectors are too.
                  If it would work there would be quite a bit of splicing involved... And IIRC there's more wires on the Malibu cluster than the g6.

As for the climate control I also looked into swapping the automatic one for the manual one... Again the wiring is pretty different and would likely require more splicing, as well as adding wires/sensors.

Does the Malibu have the DIC in the stereo too?
                  Up to 2007, yes the DIC is in the stereo. For the climate control, mine is already automatic, meaning it should be plug and play. After some research, I found that there is two different wire harness for the G6 : C2R-GM11b (one connector, 24 pins) is the one for those with the old radio (up to 2009) and C2R-GM11 (two conectors, 14 pins and 16 pins) from 2009.5 to 2010 (new audio system). With some work, I think it will fit perfectly.

And thank you Wizard for the link about speedometer, I appreciate !

Comment

Ah I see.
                    You got me thinking about those modules hah.
                    I'm sure you can make it work!

Comment

So back to the "welcome scetion". I am now selling my Malibu, unfortunatly. The reason is that it is too expensive for me at the moment. When I was driving it mostly on highway, it was okay because it has a pretty good highway fuel mileage, but then I moved. I am now mostly driving in the city, and the city fuel mileage is horrible. Well, I don't help it a lot because a Malibu Maxx SS is fun to drive, you know... Accelerating without too much moderation... But then, there are the brakes too that I replaced a year and two months ago that already needs replace. And I am not interested to spend 600-800$ per year for brakes. I had a lot of fun with that car, but it's now time to go for something more economic and cheaper to maintain. After it's traded, I might not come back to this forum anymore. Only time will tell me.

So here's a list of what I liked and less liked on my car :

Advantages :

- I love the 3.9L V6. Its sound, even without a cold air intake.
                      - Highway fuel mileage. It is able of 27 to 30MPG with moderation on the accelerator and speed. For a 3.9L, it's impressive.
                      - Exterior desing. Yes, I find it cool. Not everyone one likes it, but I do.
                      - Handling. Thanks to its nice strong chassis and a stock strut tower bar.
                      - Audio system. Because the SS has an audio system a little bit better than the other Malibus. It sounds pretty good.
                      - Equipment. Panoramic roof, sunroof, electric ajustable pedals, leather/fabric seats, ajustable rear seats...
                      - Comfort/Performance. Good ratio between the two.
                      - The AC. It works really well, even when the car is stopped.

Disadvantages :

- The 4T65-E. Ouch... Four speeds in a car that has better potential than that. Disapointed. Plus, not always reliable.
                      - Car's weight. 3582lbs versus an average of 3306lbs for a G6.
                      - City fuel mileage. 13.5 to 15.5MPG thanks to its weight and to the 4T65-E. And a little to my driving...
                      - Parts are pretty expensive for a Chevy.
                      - Brakes. Undersized brakes for a heavy car results in often replacing them.
                      - Interior design. It is black in the Malibu SS. Wish GM would have make something more happy.
                      - No heat seats were ever offered in the SS... They were available in the G6 3.9L and even in the Malibu LTZ... Weird.
                      - I like the 3.9L... But I wish it would have been an aluminium block instead of a cast iron one.
                      - Heat. Because we all know the Malibu/G6 have a lot of heat under the hood.
                      - Overall weakness of the suspension parts. I guess they have been undersized by GM like the brakes to be more economic to them.

So that's it I think. I had a lot of fun with you guys and I appreciated all the help you gave me when I needed it.

Hope you all have fun in here and with your cars !

See ya !

DelHuge

Comment

Working...
                      X