Question about Alternators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Alternators

Ok I have a 07 2.4L, Does anyone know the stock Amps of the Alternator everyone I find on the net is 125 amp's, Is this just the upgrade to the stock or is the stock 125 amps. With the system I am adding I want to upgrade the alternator, But if I already have the 125 I am not going to buy the same one

Thanks

GM 2.4L stock alternator is 110 AMPS
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Thanks for the INfO. Do you think upgrading to the 125 amp alternator is worth the 15 extra amps?

Comment

Unfortianally, I really dont know. Am not big on hooking up sounds systems ect. I would think though if its a decent price and you are running an amp ect that yes the extra 15 would help and not be so strainfull on the stock alternator.
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

This depends on the power demands of the system you are putting in, but it might be worth it instead to install a mega cap (1+ Farad) to deliver that extra punch and keep the lights from dimming. I only looked briefly for the cost of a 125 amp alternator and the price of the cap depends on the size. It would be a judgment call. If its a matter of 15 amps a 1 Farad cap would probably be able to handle that just fine and be about half the price of an alternator.

LMAO just saw this on crutchfield: "One Farad of capacitance is recommended for each 500 watts of amplifier power, but you can never have too much capacitance for any system."

Comment

This is just my opinion, but I believe that you're better off doing the "big three" as well as a higher output alternator vs. a cap.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
              This is just my opinion, but I believe that you're better off doing the "big three" as well as a higher output alternator vs. a cap.
              Word.

A cap should be the last step in upgrading your electrical system.

Comment

Thanks for all the Info, Do you know what Model number Alternator we have, Because I want to get atleast a 150 amp one. and All I can find is alternators listed by Model Type.

Comment

You can also get your stock alternator rewound for higher output, just an idea but it's cheaper than a new alternator.

Comment

Wheere would you do such a thing as rewinding your alternator?

Comment

Any alternator shop should be able to either do it or tell you where you can get it done.

Comment

Working...
                      X