So I went and built a GTO on Pontiac.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I went and built a GTO on Pontiac.com

They add a $1,300 "Gas Guzzler" tax if you get the auto tranny. WTF?!? I have never heard of such a thing. OR, you can pay the $695.00 for the 6 speed manual. Crazy.
    "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Thats a joke, the tax should be determined on engine size and not auto or manual
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

It's not determined on auto or manual, it's determined on fuel consumption. The auto uses more fuel, and crosses whatever threshold that the government has set, so it gets the tax.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Just another reason to get the 6speed
        2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

I love the fact that the new Z06 doens't have a gas guzzler tax. That's just amazing.
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Keep in mind that the GTO is way heavier than a Z06. Also keep in mind that the Z06 comes only with a manual transmission.

http://www.newagegto.com/forums/showthr ... ht=guzzler

The M6 GTO has a skip-shift feature that forces you from 1st to 4th gear under normal driving conditions. This saves on gas, so the manual tranny gets better mileage than the Auto.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I'd still drive them both.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I do too much city driving for a 6-speed!! It would be fun for a while but it would get old quick.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Naw... never get's old, lol. And the guzzler tax is simply that the MTX version get's better MPG..certainc ars that require a large amount of Gas for a NON purposeful vehicle (H2, GTO, Excursion, etc) get taxxed. Cars that get poor mileage but considered daily transportation (not a lurxury or "fun" vehicle) like an economline 15 passenger van, do not get subjected to the guzzler tax.

Such whoreness.
                  Straight up Pimp Trollin'
                  2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
                  w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

Oh trust me in stop and go traffic (at least for me) it gets old REAL quick lol
                    Chris White
                    http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
                    2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
                    2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
                    2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
                    2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
                    2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

Originally posted by GTPprix
                      Oh trust me in stop and go traffic (at least for me) it gets old REAL quick lol
                      wussy :P I work Downtown...now tell me about stop and go traffic
                      2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

Hey I drive through there to Romulus you know it sucks too!
                        Chris White
                        http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
                        2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
                        2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
                        2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
                        2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
                        2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

My last 6 cars have been manual's. I drive downtown everyday too.. I ain't no wussie!
                          Straight up Pimp Trollin'
                          2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
                          w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                            ...The M6 GTO has a skip-shift feature that forces you from 1st to 4th gear under normal driving conditions. This saves on gas, so the manual tranny gets better mileage than the Auto.
                            You can buy a harness that removes that function. It still shows up on the dash but it alows you to shift from 1st to any gear with the harnest. I have one! A tune will also remove it too.
                            .......G6 is SOLD.......

Comment

Hey, is reviving a thread that's 11 months old a new record on here?

I'm aware of the skip-shift removal kit, but I was just posting the reasons why the M6 gets no gas guzzler tax.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X