Shifter Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Removal

Does anyone know how to remove the G6 gt 6 speed shifter. I am turning a custom shifter at my robotics crib out of solid aluminum and polishing it up for fun, and i cant figure out how to remove it.
    2007 Electric Blue G6 GT with 3.9L and 6 speed manual. Custom intake and custom tuning.

PULL! The shifter just pulls straight off. There's a spring in there that pushes the reverse lockout ring down, and it will go flying when you pull the shifter off. It shouldn't be strong enough to hurt you though.

You are talking about the 6 speed manual, right?

Comment

Seeing as how the GT has never had the 6 speed automatic, I'm guessing that he's got the manual.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Thanks for pointing out that I don't read every single letter of every single post.

Comment

Yes, bow down to my superior reading skills!

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

^
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
              Thanks for pointing out that I don't read every single letter of every single post.

Originally posted by TLS2000
              They cleaned my thing out
              g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
              2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

PULL! The shifter just pulls straight off. There's a spring in there that pushes the reverse lockout ring down, and it will go flying when you pull the shifter off. It shouldn't be strong enough to hurt you though.

You are talking about the 6 speed manual, right?
                i was trying this last night, as i am working with a certain company to get some quality leather shift boots cut for our cars. i'm sending in my stock ones as a template.

i'm sorta pissed about the stock boots as i only have 5200 miles on my car and the shifter boot has already developed a small tear.

anyhow, how much of the shifter comes off when you pull? i was pulling the heck outta that thing last night and didn't even get the knob to come off. that's honestly the only part i need to come off anyway...

any help or pics would be appreciated.
                Steve C.
                1991 Red Dodge IROC Daytona - RIP 1991-2006
                2000 Blue Grand AM SE2 Coupe - RIP 2004-2011
                2006 White G6 GTP 6MT Sedan

Comment

Just the shifter knob comes off. You need to pull pretty hard.

Comment

The key is to stratle the shifter... give it a little peep talk and give it hell... and it that doesn't work you could always talk dirty to it

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                      The key is to stratle the shifter... give it a little peep talk and give it hell... and it that doesn't work you could always talk dirty to it
                      ..which reminds me of a video that Ernie posted once..

On a more serious note: If we take the shift knob off, is it a universal fit to put a different one on?

..not that I'm going to do that, I love my shift knob.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                        ..which reminds me of a video that Ernie posted once..
                        I remember that

at least it wasn't an octopus
                        Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                        GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

That was gross

Comment

That was gross
                            I guess I'm glad I never say it...

Comment

k...any other tips on this??

I just tried(and so di two friends of mine) and it will NOT come off.

help

Comment

Working...
                              X