X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS W/ XM Nav Traffic Question

Hello...

I am a new member, just bought my G6 in Dec 06. What I want to do is this

Garmin makes a GPS unit for motorcycles that is nice n small. It would fit perfect in that little space below the climate controls. I want it wired into the car, so it turns on and off with the car. XM Nav Traffic needs a special antenna that not only receives the music part of XM, but also the NAV part too. The G6 came with XM already...so the antenna is there ( btw, the car is a conv GT ). I want to use the hole already there for the XM to wire the new antenna. Can the Stock Radio use the new XM Nav Traffic antenna AND the Garmin use it for the NAV Traffic? I would prefer not to have all these antenna's on my car if I can avoid it. However, the local shops like Best Buy & Circuit City dont seem to have much of a clue.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Marcus Rose
    Las Vegas, NV

first off welcome, second, i have no clue, ma by u should go to a real audio shop, besides best buy
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    They cleaned my thing out
    g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
    2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Originally posted by keith87
      ma by u should go to a real audio shop, besides best buy
      BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

You gotta have the antenna for the GPS. Since the GPS is down there how will it receive signal? Sure it will work but check your accuracy it will be 100 feet or more off enough to miss an exit
        2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

Well, I do want it to be accurate. Problem is, there isnt much here in the valley as far as a " real " car audio place. The ones that claim to be are only interested in selling you the stuff + installation...and most places dont carry this unit...and I want what I want...not what some $8 an hour person telling me what the " Shit " is this week...ya know?

I am going to call Garmin tomorrow see what they say....I'll keep you all posted!

Comment

rosemr I would love to know as well...so keep us posted - thanks

Comment

What unit are you looking at?

Just so I understand you, you're wanting to take the Garmin system and use the stock G6 XM antenna for the nav data and XM through the GPS unit?

Comment

I was really hoping to see some updates on this by now - my Garmin doesnt need to be plugged in but I thought it might have better reception in the downtown core if it were... Anyone know if it could work?

Comment

Ok..sorry for the delay.

According to Garmin, they do NOT make an antenna that can do GPS & XM NAV Traffic. I would have to have the stock XM antenna right where it is. Then install the XM Nav Traffic Antenna...and either use the pop out antenna built into the unit or have an external installed. So we are talking 3 antenna's folks...which is about as gay as it comes! Who am I? Nick Burns?

Anyhow...in a nutshell Garmin told me that at this time it is not possible to do what I want without 3 antenna's...so I guess I'll have to wait til they make an all-in-one antenna that will be as big as my roof...which will really suck because then people will be like " Oh, You have Sirius Sat Radio I see " ( LOL...sorry, I just hate Sirius & Howard Stern )

Comment

Working...
                  X