Help with aftermarket radio wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with aftermarket radio wiring

I am installing an eclipse avn5500 double din dvd and relocating the DIC to the glove box while using the stock speakers and amp. I have two questions:

1. Can I use the speaker outputs coming out of the unit and wire them directly into the harness or do i need to convert the rca outputs to speaker wires and connect them that way. I would assume I would need to use the rca's since the other outputs would be amplified before entering the monsoon amp.

2. Do both the metra kit and the scosche kit come with wiring harnesses or are they sold seperately? I noticed someone posted a pic of a harness made by metra and there were 2 stock plugs. My stock radio only had one plug...can anyone explain? Also can someone tell me if either of the metra or scosche kits have illumination and 12v accessory wires inegrated into the harness?

Sorry my two questions are actually 5 or 6 questions. My name is Devin by the way and I have a 2006 gt coupe. I will post pics of the install for everyone to see and maybe give someone an idea how they can setup thier install.

Thanks!

Devin

Welcome Devin!

1. You should use the preamp outs (RCAs) if possible, otherwise you need line level convertors.

2. I think the units might have 2 plugs because of XM. One plug for regular stereo stuff, the other for XM radio. No idea on your other questions though.

Comment

Not XM, Onstar.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Awesome...anyone know about the 12v or illumintion wires?

Comment

AFAIK, there is no illumination wire. I think it's part of the GMLAN interface now.

12 volt is part of the wiring harness that the Metra/Scosche kits have included with them.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

You don't need to hook up the illumination wire, so just leave it out. And the 12V like mentioned is already into the existing harness so you don't need to do anything for that. Make sure you use good connections and grounds.

Comment

Actually I do need the illumination wire...maybe i can fuse tap the parking lights or something. I need this wire for my head unit to make the buttons on the faceplate light up. It also changes the navigation screen to night mode by using the illumination wire...

Comment

all the aftermarket units that I've done... I've never hooked up that damn illumination wire haha...
                Originally posted by Toyz
                Originally posted by simplyred
                what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I hadn't ever used it until this unit...it's kind of a pita....

Comment

Yeah you mentioned eclipse and I didn't give it a second thought, some of their units had a night illumination that had to be hooked up because the buttons are lit by themselves. You can tap into the headlight swtich, it's in the BCM on pin 5 or A7.

Comment

I have tried hooking up the wiring for the speakers both ways and neither one works. There is no output coming from any of the speakers, but if i hook an aftermarket speaker directly to the harness that speaker will make sound. Anyone have any suggestions. I also put the stock back in just to check for blown fuses and it works fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X