Remove Steering Wheel Airbag Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Remove Steering Wheel Airbag Module

I have redone this How To because the pictures on the old one were dead and since I was removing mine I thought I would update the pictures. The verbiage and a couple pictures on this how to are derived from G6P Members Jayco59 and Lampoon

Tools:
    - 3 - 4" long thin nail with the end ground flat or some other such item. We'll call it a pin
    - 10 mm wrench (for the battery disconnect).
    Time:
    - 5 minutes

1) Disconect the negative of the battery for safety (Don't want to have the Airbag go off in your face as unlikely as that might be). You'll have to remove the battery cover to get at the battery.

2) Note: There is a small hole in the left and right side of the steering column that you will push the pin into releasing a spring that holds in that side of the airbag module. The tricky part is to exactly hit the pin head onto the spring. This is why you want to flatten the tip of the pin to make that easier to do.
    So, starting with the right side, turn the steering wheel to the left to gain access to the small hole. Push the pin into the hole while pulling lightly on the right side of the airbag module. You should be able to feel the spring move back and forth as you push the pin in and out slightly. When you push the pin in enough the right side of the airbag module should pull out toward you as you pull on it. Pushing the pin into the hole and pushing back the spring will not automatically release the airbag module you must pull on the airbag module while the spring is depressed.

3) Repeat for the left side this time turning the steering wheel to the left to get a better look at the pin hole.

4) Once the Airbag module is free I just moved it out of the way and did not disconnect any wires as I didn't want to break anything.

5) Replacement is simply center the airbag module over the steering wheel and gently push it back into place.

The above information was derived from GM document ID# 1749170. This document is ~2 pages and I include the sketch from this document below along with the text from that document re-typed as I did want to bother scanning it.
    Also, note that there are several references to other documents that were hyper links in the original document which of course I could not replicate here.

Document Text:

Caution: Refer to SIR Inflator Module Handling and Storage Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Caution and Notices.

Fastener Tightening Specification: Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications.

Preliminary Procedures

1. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.
    2. On Back side of steering wheel are 2 circular openings, place the wheel so that one opening is on top.
    3. Using a blunt-ended tool, push the spring fastener inward through the access hole. Repeat the step for the other opening.

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module

Tip

1. Release the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
    2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    3. Fully deploy ther module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling and Scrapping.

The following two Pictures and Captions are from Lampoon

His a snap of the rod in the steering wheel that must be moved over (by a nail or some other device):

Here is a snap of the hook (that doesn't move) that is on the back of the airbag:

Finished Product:
    2008 Pontiac G6 Base "Nothing Out Of The Ordinary"
    2008 Ford Edge

My Progression
Working...
X