Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock wheels - Chrome or chrome cladded???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock wheels - Chrome or chrome cladded???

What's up guys,

I'm in a little bit of a bind....I've poked around here and haven't seen this posted before, any help would be much appreciated. The wife found an enormous pothole with our 2005 G6 GT, bent the rim all the hell. The dealer of course wants way too much money for a replacement, so I've been searching online for the wheel. I've got the 17'' 5 spoke alloy wheels, but every site I go to seems to have two versions - chrome and chrome cladded. The pictures of both look the same to me....an example is at

I've even called the dealer, gave them the last 8 of my VIN, and they still can't help me....do you guys know how I can tell what kind I have? Also, if you know of any sites with good deals on stock wheels, that would be great.....

You guys have a great site here, tons of information and good people....I'm happy to have found it and would greatly appeciate any help that you have to offer...

Thanks,

Ben

First off, welcome to the site.

I'm pretty sure all the chrome G6 wheels are just plastic chrome covers. I didn't think they made any real chrome wheels.

I'm not sure why the "chrome" wheels on that site would be so much cheaper than "chrome cladded" though.

Comment

Yeah I know....weird isn't it? To furthur complicate things, when I called the dealer and gave them the VIN, the parts guy said it was either a "Chrome" wheel ($414) or the "Platinum" wheel ($331). I've seen the platinum wheels on different sites and they don't appear to be the right wheel, just so confusing....

I'm going to head to the dealer today and show them the wheel to see what they say it is, but I really don't want to pay 400 bucks for a single wheel when I could get a full set of aftermarket rims for not too much more than that.....

Thanks again,

Ben

Comment

The Pontiac website only lists "Chrome Tech" wheels, which are cladded chrome.

Comment

cladded chrome
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Browse Google Shopping to find the products you’re looking for, track & compare prices, and decide where to buy online or in store.

you may also get lucky calling junkyards too.

Black 2007 GT coupe with Sport Package.
            DoctorSpeed CAB, 5/15% tint, G5 spoiler, Euro Black Tailz, GM Strut Bar, GY Eagle F1 A/S Tires.

Comment

Thanks for all your help, guys....I went to the dealer yesterday, the wheel is definitely chrome cladded. And you were right, chrom cladded means that basically everything you see on the outside of the wheel is just shiny plastic molded to the rim. Found a replacement wheel, brand new from a wheel place on ebay for $180, the dealer wanted $421 for a single wheel!

Thanks again for the help,

Ben

Comment

Where'd you find the wheel? I need one, the PO curb checked mine and it's got a big-ol chip in it.
                = Gone as of 11/16/07

Originally posted by WS6 RACING
                Little bunny foo foo hopping through the forest
                Picking up the feild mice and getting splattered by Spazmatic!!!

Comment

Spaz,

I located them on ebay....I bought from this guy actually:

They shipped fast and the wheel looks great! Highly recommended....

Ben

Comment

Working...
                  X