Confirm XM tuner location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm XM tuner location?

Ok, I've searched out my ass, but cannot find the answer for this...

I know the question has been asked numerous times, and I often answer the question myself, but I can't even find where I got the information from.

Can someone confirm for me the location of the factory XM tuner in the coupe? For some reason, I'm thinking behind the dash, but I've also read it's in the trunk. I need to know for sure since I have to cut into one of the lines to install a relay for that AXXESS kit that will disable/enable the tuner and allow my ipod to work.

Thanks folks.
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Neither - it is on what is called the rear shelf from what I remember - same place as you find it on sedan. Wires that you likely are tapping into do run thru an inline connection on right side of instrument panel to get to radio however

Comment

Rear shelf? Isn't that where the CHMSL and rear speakers are? If so, I don't recall seeing anything there representing a tuner...

According to the directions provided by AXXESS, I am supposed to tap into the receiver wiring as close to the receiver as possible, so I guess I need to track it down...
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

It is in the trunk under the rear shelf.
        Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

i posted asking the same question, and no one here seemed to know where it was. I also asked integration solutions, and metra, neither of which knew, either. I ended up sending the unit back, because i couldn't get it to work right. I wish someone would have said it was on the rear shelf when i asked a few weeks ago. I do know that the fuse for the xm tuner is in the trunk.

Comment

i'm afraid to ask...but where?

2009 PONTIAC G8
            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I believe in... You probably have to take some pieces apart.... I know it is back there because the tech told me that was producing the rattling I had fixed a few months ago.
              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

bahhhhh!

I was afraid of that.

Ok...who wants to give me the lowdown on removing the rear shelf??? Anyone with a service manual? Or perhaps e2helper?
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Removing the rear shelf is a pain in the ass. You have to rip the plastic trim out from both C pillars, undo a few bolts (two up top and four at the bottom of the seatback I believe), pull out your rear seat cushion, and then pull the shelf out. Not necessarily in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                    Removing the rear shelf is a pain in the ass. You have to rip the plastic trim out from both C pillars, undo a few bolts (two up top and four at the bottom of the seatback I believe), pull out your rear seat cushion, and then pull the shelf out. Not necessarily in that order.
                    Seems annoying, but not difficult.

I shall report back tomorrow with my observations!
                    2009 PONTIAC G8
                    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Ah but you didn't understand my message that there may be another place more accessible

What circuits are you looking for??? You didn't say.

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                        Ah but you didn't understand my message that there may be another place more accessible

What circuits are you looking for??? You didn't say.
                        Crap, I somehow missed that! LOL!

I need to access the +12 wire for the XM receiver. The AXXESS unit has a relay that I need to put inline on that wire, so that it can cut power to the XM receiver when I switch to iPod mode (and restore it when I switch out of iPod mode). Now the directions say to put the relay as close to the receiver as possible. I don't know why, but that's what they want. Think it matters?

You're right, though, I bet there IS a more accessible location!!!! Help me brotha!

Also, while you're at it, can you tell me which wires in the main radio harness are:

● "constant" (that's the word according to the directions, which to me indicates +12, which I was under the impression was not in that harness?)

● ground - again, not sure if it's in there

● GMLAN

thanks soooooooooo much buddy!
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

EDIT: ok, i found the info on the constant/ground/LAN colors in another thread (for anyone following this wanting the same info, look here: http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3723)

still would love your XM tuner tips though e2helper!

and a random question. you mentioned in another thread that low speed GMLAN is single wire, and high speed is 2-wire. If that's the case, and the radio is considered low speed GMLAN, how come it has two LAN wires? just curious, not at all relevant to my install.
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Hmmm - many questions :P

You certainly are paying attention

The reason for 2 wires for GMLAN to radio is that the wiring "topology" in vehicle for the low speed network is set up in a "ring" configuration instead of a "star" configuration. BTW the high speed network is in a linear network with modules "daisy chained" together

This means that the 2 wires redundantly provide serial data signal to the radio. Only one is actually required. This is beneficial in a situation where there is an open circuit because communication will continue but it is more difficult to troubleshoot something like a short to ground BECAUSE of that redundancy.

My suggestion about another location for XM signals isn't as promising because of the number of signals you are trying to access. Best just to go after the module itself like you originally planned

Comment

Working...
                            X