Replace Headlight Connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Headlight Connectors

The factory headlight connectors on our cars are horrible at keeping moisture out and prone to corrosion. My passenger side burnt out on me right before winter started and I couldn't find a factory replacement so I had to hard wire it together to get my lights working again. It was a pretty ghetto fix but now that its nicer out I wanted to do it right.

I ordered two of these 6 pin Allstar weatherproof connectors off Amazon, I think I paid around $8 a piece. You only need a 5 pin connection but I couldn't find a set, I think Summit sells them but at a higher price. The 6 pin works just fine.

They're pretty tedious to assemble, I soldered mine but you could probably get by without that step. Each wire has its own rubber gasket making it completely water proof.

I used wire the same gauge as what was on my headlights. Tied the wires together with butt connectors and covered with heatshrink.

Repeat the process with the wires from the car. The purple wire coming from your lights (eagle eyes anyway) are connected to the blue wire from your car. There IS a purple wire wrapped up in the harness but it isn't part of the headlight wiring. In hind sight I should have used a smaller gauge wire, the factory wiring from the car is actually extremely small and using butt connectors made it a little tricky. I would've liked to have soldered everything together but was running short on time and daylight.

Test the lights then clean up the wiring.

Success!

Re: Replace Headlight Connectors

very nice.
    http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13376
    v^v^my progression^v^v
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24215

sigpic

Comment

I will only offer 1 suggestion.. it wasn't the factory harness connections as much as it was the cheaper crap Eagle Eyes put behind their unit.. my 2005 is has been running well and I have never had a corrosion problem with my "stock" units (modified for halos and HIDs)

but WELL DONE! looks almost professional

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Nice write up. But I will agree that the issue is with the Eagle eye connectors. I have only had mine 3 months and I packed them with di-electric grease and coated the back side with liquid electrical tape and still had some corrosion when I took them out to remove my intake resonator and install my hids. I figure I will have to eventually replace the connectors with better water proof ones like you did.
        2005 G6 GT
        My Progression Thread

Current Mods: Debadged, Arrow badges blacked out, Chrome grill surrounds blacked out, Grand Am LED 3rd brake light mod, Black Eagle Eye projectors, Black recessed lower grills, Red LED underdash/seat lighting, Redline Tuning Elite hood struts, Racingline STB, CRABS Option 3, 6k DDM Tuning HID lows, Color match interior trim

Mods on the way: 6k DDM Tuning HID fogs

Future Plans: Plastidip stock GT rims, Painted engine cover

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
          I will only offer 1 suggestion.. it wasn't the factory harness connections as much as it was the cheaper crap Eagle Eyes put behind their unit.. my 2005 is has been running well and I have never had a corrosion problem with my "stock" units (modified for halos and HIDs)

but WELL DONE! looks almost professional

Yeah, the eagle eye connectors are pretty crappy but my stockers had water and tasty green corrosion in them as well. I'm also from Ohio so I doubt the salt and other nasty stuff they spray on the roads was a was helping anything

Comment

Just ordered a set - Thanks for the idea!
            CRABS WAMS MPD GT-R Brembos and stuff

Comment

Thank you for this, I just ordered a pair myself. I am going to take this to a custom shop though and have it done professionally so I have a warranty. im tired of screwing around with my EEs damn me for loving them so much!
              2008 G6 GXP 3.6L Coupe - Street Edition - Black

Mods: All the usual suspects

Progression Thread

Comment

Working...
              X