Add OEM Fogs to your G6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add OEM Fogs to your G6

Thought I would share with you on how I added the OEM fogs to my G6. I previously had a thread asking if anyone has done this. Seeing no one responded that they have, I decided to try it out. I suggest having someone help you with the install to save time. Also, if you don’t know much about wiring and electrical work, please avoid this mod. I don’t explain everything in this how-to, some of the electrical work is implied.

First off, the idea:
    Because I live near the water, fog is something I have been dealing with my whole life. Not some light stuff, but stuff so thick you need to alter your route to save time. When I bought the car I knew that fog lights were a must, and not just for looks. I first and foremost wanted to have the OEM fogs installed. This defiantly made it tough because the G6 doesn’t have any wiring for the fogs when they weren’t bought as the option. After some planning, I came up with the circuit below.

The Circuit:

For those of you who understand schematics this should be easy to follow. For those who do not, well here is what the circuit does:
    When the parking lamps are on, your switch will turn the fog lights on or off, simple as that.
    I designed the circuit this way so I won’t forget to shut the fog lights off. The way I have everything powered, it is impossible to leave them on with the car being off. When the parking lamps are on, it energizes the relay and closes the switch in the relay. The other circuit is the power (Using “add-a-circuit” which is placed in the Emissions fuse spot) to the fogs to the switch (Mounted in the dash) to ground (Chassis of the car).

The Parts I used:

First, you need the OEM Fogs, I bought mine off Ebay for about $100. Also a switch (SPDT), some wire (I used 16 gauge wire), the “add-a-circuit” thing, spare fuses, and butt connectors. Not shown: The power plugs for the H11 fog light bulbs, the relay, the tubing I ended up buying to protect the wires, electrical tape, zip ties, and quick connect wire connectors (to connect to the wire to the relay and the switch. Also two were used to be able to remove the left-front light easy out of the circuit.). Most of these items can be found at a store like Consumer Auto Parts. The power plugs for the fogs most likely need to come from a junk yard. I got mine from a mechanic who ripped them out of an old car for me.

The How-To:

First you need to install the fogs and run the power for them. Cut out the grills where the fog lights go, I used a pair of wire cutters and a knife. Next, to run the wires you need to remove your headlight units. For instructions for this, consult your owner manual. For every wire I ran, I first measured out how long the protective plastic tubing would be. Then I ran the wires through the tubing and fed then through the car. Looking at the front of the car, I installed the left fog first, measured the tubing to go from this fog to the right fog light, ran the wires through the tubing, ran the wires/tubing through the front of the car, and zip tied the tubing secure to the car. I then plugged in the power plug to the light and terminated it to the wires I just ran. Note: Follow the tubing that already has been run through the front of your car.

Next I installed the right fog light, and plugged in the power plug to it. Following the schematic I connected the ground wire to the ground of the left fog, and the power wire to the power wire of the left fog. REMEMBER: you need to be able to connect another wire to each of the wires. When I used the butt connectors I put two wires in one side and the third wire in the other.

Next I ran a ground wire from inside the car, through the firewall, into the engine area. I left the spool inside the car and pulled the length I needed through the car before cutting the wire. Inside the car this wire needs to run to the spot you are mounting your switch, with some slack of course. This wire is the same ground wire in the next step.

Next I measured out a tube to run from the right fog, up the right side of the car, to the windshield side of the battery. I ran two positive wires and one ground wire (Previous step) through this tube and installed it into the car. Make sure to mark which power wire is which. One will be used to power the lights, and the other to go from the relay to the parking lamps. Connect the one that will power the lights to the positive of the fog lights.

Next is the mod for the parking lamps. The picture might explain it better, but what I did was break the wire that supplies the power to the parking lamps (side markers), and “T” in a wire off of these to go to the relay. When I cut the wire, I put these two ends into one side of a butt connector, the other side of the connector goes to a wire, through what I call quick connectors (so if I need to remove the headlamp assembly I and quickly undo this wire), and to the wire that leads to the relay. Connect the wire from the quick connects to the wire that will go to the relay.

Next mount your relay. I did mine on the plastic shell over my awesome 4 liter engine .

I then mounted a ground wire to the car (where-ever) and ran this wire to one side of the coil on the relay.

Next I took the wire that went to the parking lamps and made the other side of it go to the other pin to the coil on the relay. When the parking lamps are on, the coil will now energize and close the relay’s built in switch switch.

Next I used the add-a-circuit product. I placed two fuses into the holders and placed it into the slot that the Emissions fuse went. This adds a wire to the car to supply power to whatever. I then connected a power wire to this and ran it to one side of the relay’s built in switch. I had to customize the fuse box’s cover to make sure the wire didn’t get pinched.

Next I took the wire that goes to the positive side of the fog lights and make it go to the other side of the relay’s built in switch. Now the relay can turn on and off, and the switch side of the relay supplies power from the fuse box to the positive side of the fog lights.

Now we can venture into the car to finish up the job. Next you need to mount your switch. Find a spot where the switch will have plenty of clearance behind it. Cut out the spot and mount the switch.

Next you need to check which way the switch closes when it is in which position. If the switch says “ON” on the part you will see, put the switch in this position and see which poles close you want the ground wire in the next step to be the outside pole of the ones that have shorted.

Next use a quick-connect connector to connect the ground wire that was run through the firewall to one side of the switch (outside pole).

Next I ran a wire from a place I grounded it (under the center console, See picture), to where I mounted the switch. This wire goes into one side of a butt connector; the other side goes to two wires. Place quick connectors on these and attach these to the two remaining places on the switch (middle pole and outside pole).

Next turn your car on and test them out. By turning your headlights on you should hear the relay close when you are standing outside the car with the hood open. That means this part of the circuit works. Now turn you’re your fogs on and see if they turn on. If either don’t work, and the car and headlights are on, then something is wrong and you need to do some troubleshooting.

Pictures:

Please do some research and poke around with your car before trying this How-To out. Make notes on what is the easiest way to complete this.
    If anyone finds anything wrong with this mod, please message me on it, and I will make the change. Also, if something isn’t clear, ask me about it.

Good job... nice install and write up... one little thing, I would move that relay from the engine cover just incase in hurry you take it off for some reason that you dont cause any harm to your job!!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

nice How-To, good amount of pics. Good job!
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Why not go to the other side and use the existing area where the
        switch is normally? Im sure that switch cant be much at a dealer.

Great write up and great job by the way!! :P
        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Question... Is it only the 06+ that doesn't have the wiring and switch already there for the foglights? My 05 doesn't have foglights, but there are two wires hanging down that I assumed were for the foglights if they were installed plus I have a switch by the interior illumination brightness control that looks like the foglight button. I want to add foglights eventually but am I going crazy or are there others out there that have wiring there already? Nice write up though.
          '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

Comment

thanks for the write-up! great work!
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Re: Add OEM Fogs to your G6

i need help can some one help me with this one i dont want to blow myself up again
              Resonator Delete w/ Cherry Bomb Glass Pack -
              Straight Pipe Single In/Out
              Blue Led Dome Light
              Two 12" Kicker CVR's Bridged@2ohms - Ported Box
              Kenwood 1000 Watt Amp ( Diesel Amp DIED)
              dB Linkz Amp Kit
              Power Acoustik PTID-8310NRB 8.3 in. Screen
              35W 8000K HID's
              15% Tint Driver Side & Passenger Side
              35% Tint Back Window & 8inch Strip Front Window
              Debaged
              Tinted Tail Lights
              Racing Line Sway Bar

Comment

Fog light switch is 10 bucks on rockauto

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Why not just wire them up to a relay so when the parking lights are on, the fogs are on? That way you don't need to mess around with a switch? That's what I plan on doing.

Alright, well I read somewhere that the OEM fog light switch is a monetary switch? If so, that may not work for a relay application.

Can any confirm / deny that?

I have my fogs installed, ran wires to them, but I still need to buy the relay and hook everything up. I really don't want a toggle switch under the dash, and I would like to have the look of the stock fog light switch.

Comment

is there a way you could explain how to include the hid fog light hook up into this diagram or maybe explanation any body please.
                    Resonator Delete w/ Cherry Bomb Glass Pack -
                    Straight Pipe Single In/Out
                    Blue Led Dome Light
                    Two 12" Kicker CVR's Bridged@2ohms - Ported Box
                    Kenwood 1000 Watt Amp ( Diesel Amp DIED)
                    dB Linkz Amp Kit
                    Power Acoustik PTID-8310NRB 8.3 in. Screen
                    35W 8000K HID's
                    15% Tint Driver Side & Passenger Side
                    35% Tint Back Window & 8inch Strip Front Window
                    Debaged
                    Tinted Tail Lights
                    Racing Line Sway Bar

Comment

i wired up fogs to my base. all i did was wire them to the running lights of each headlight and it worked like a champ. no relay or any of all that. just ran a wire to a switch in my cabin so i could turn them on or off when i wanted. and since they're tied into my running lights i dont have to worry about them being left on.
                      J DOG

MODS
                      35% windshield/ 15% strip to look less illegal, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, and 2 blue knight rider led strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged/custom vinyl badge, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows, added OEM fogs, 6000k fogs, third brake light vinyl overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, stickers

LOTS TO COME!

Progression
                      http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929

Comment

So I bought some fog lights off ebay and waiting for decent weather to install them with my recessed grills...question...on the back of the housing, it says "Eagle Eyes", are Eagle Eyes a GM product because the housings are said to be OEM GM?
                        sigpic
                        Electrical: * SPYDER Smoke Halo Projector Headlights w/ Morimoto H1 projector retrofit and custome LED Halo rings * HID Conversion Kit 8000K * Alpine Type S SPS-619 and SPS-610C Speakers * MTX Terminator TNP212D2 Dual 12" Subwoofers * Red LED Lighting Front + Dome, Blue LED in Trunk, White LED License Plate * Tinted Tail Lights/LED's Looks: * Carbon Fiber Decals * 15% Tint in the Back and on Top of Windshield, 35% Tint in the Front * Tinted cover on Licence plate * 5mm Wheel Spacers in the Front, 25mm in the Back * Enkei EKM 3 in Hyper Silver 18x8 Performance: * Flowmaster Muffler 80 Series w/ Cherry Bomb Glasspack, 3.5" Double Walled/Slant Exhaust Tips * Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on 225/45/18 * Brembo conversion in the front * BMD SS brake lines * CMS springs * Racingline strut bar

Comment

Thanks a lot for the how to soccerguy! It DEFINITELY came in handy today as I helped my friend install his FOGS. I just wanted to point out to anyone else using this that you don't really need to use a relay to achieve soccerguys desired effect of having the FOGS turn off when the car is off.

My friend wanted to have complete control over his FOGS and new Halo/LED headlights from the switch without it being interconnected to the parking light switch, so we just followed this how-to minus the relay. It worked like a charm, and when the key is off, the FOGS also turned off. We wired the Halo/LED headlights into the same circuit as the FOGS, so they turn on and off with the switch also.

We ended up installing the switch a little differently also. We used a drimmel tool and cut out a square hole on the blank off on the same console as the FOG light switch. It looked pretty good though, almost as good as factory. I tried to talk him into getting the factory FOG switch, but he said he liked it the way it was.

Comment

Working...
                          X