Fixing Broken Key Fob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Broken Key Fob

Hey guys, came up with a simple solution to possibly fixing everyone's broken key fobs! I tried soldering them this summer but before long they broke off again and the fob decided to stop working! Tomorrow, when I am supposed to be going to class at 8 am, it is supposed to be -13*s with wind chills at -38*s. Obviously I want my car to be warmed up not only for my own comfort but for the safety of the engine!

So here is my simple fix (which is working so far, we will see how long it lasts):

First I decided to super glue down the two posts to hold it in for the time being

Now as you all know the problem is that the battery doesn't stay where it is supposed to and after being bumped a couple times it decides to just wonder around in the fob until you put it back. Well I had an idea and found a solution, since the two posts aren't broken I just needed to find a way to keep the battery pushed up against the circuit board. So I introduced some double sided foam tape to the back side of the fob:

I decided not to remove the plastic layer to reveal the second sticky side just yet as I wanted to make sure that this worked before I put it together and ended up with a completely stuck together key fob! No worries, I will report back in a couple weeks as to how well this worked... I do imagine however that if I were to remove the plastic and reveal the sticky second side that it would definitely hold the battery in place for good! Time will tell!!
    Last edited by Matts06GT; 01-31-2013, 03:03 AM.

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?
    Originally posted by wzbhnn
    We all like different looks, that's why we mod!!

Re: Fixing Broken Key Fob

I don't think the double sided tape is a good idea, eventually your battery will need to be changed. (!)
    I soldered mine back together which is tricky because when you heat up old solder the flux is melted away and makes it hard to re-solder. One option is to get a soldering kit with a "sucker" (don't know what it's called but it sucks up liquid things off of circuit boards) and then solder the posts down with LEAD solder like it should have been in the first place. After I did this I put a thin rubber washer between the battery and the back cover of the fob. been working great for ~ a year. I would've posted this earlier if I knew it was a big problem... I just thought I was clumsy or unlucky, lol!

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Nope, it is definitely a reoccurring problem with the G6 fobs! However, like I said, I didn't actually stick the battery to the back of the fob since I didn't remove the plastic facing the battery! It has been working great so far! But also, these batteries don't go dead that often, my brother's Intrepid (early 2000s) still has the original battery in his fob and it works just fine!

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?
      Originally posted by wzbhnn
      We all like different looks, that's why we mod!!

Comment

I've replaced mine twice since '07

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Where would you guys say is the best/cheapest place to get a replacement Fob? I know wherever i get it i have to go to a dealer to get it programmed but as far as buying a new one, i don't want to pay $50-60 for a fob that is the wrong one.

Comment

The replacement cases you can get off ebay come with a rubber piece glued on the inside of the case to hold the battery in place.
            I recently replaced my housings. Made a world of difference.
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Working...
            X