Routine Maintence at Dealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routine Maintence at Dealer?

Does anyone know when a routine maintenance check-up should be done for our cars? I know Toyota has you bring in your vehicle when you buy it new every so often(don't remember the times) to make sure everything is working smoothy, does Gm have anything like that? I looked in my owner's manual and I didn't see anything that directly says that. Thanks

jerrod
    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
    Black/Black coupe

Check out mygmlink.com

I use that to keep track of everything having to do with my car!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Yes, it's called simplified maintenance.

You don't make separate maintenance visits. The dealer performs either maintenance I or II (whichever one which was not performed on the previous visit) each time you go in for an oil change.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/_res/pdf/SM ... ersion.pdf
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I dont know about you but I like my sales section of my dealership but HATE the sevice department. I say just got by you DIC for oil changes or I recomend 3K for conventaional oil and 5K on synthetic (dont forget the lubes ). Then tire rotate every 2oil change or 7500 miles ish. Air filter every 10K miles and check breaks once a year or 6-9months if heavy break use. Of corse check fluids regularly. That takes care of your basic mantanice.Thats just what I do, I only take mine to the dealer if theres warrenty work needed. Like I said, I HATE my service department.
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

plus they probably totally rip you off with that stuff. I just change the oil and make sure the fluids are where they should be. That's it.
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Routine Maintenance

All my life ever since I started buying cars, I worked on the theory that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and found that quite often the dealer who tried to 'fix' things really 'broke' them so I just relied on them for warranty work and get the oil/filter done there to keep them happy.
            And, except for a Toyota dealer and a Chrysler dealer where arguments etc. won the day, that's all I've ever done until I got the G6 and now the dealer vehemently insists on doing these regular check-ups which I think are bs check-ups.
            Maybe with automotive economics being what they are in the industry the manufacturers are tightening belts and allowing the dealers to recoup some extra money at our expense.
            GTPdriver
            G. Stephen Day

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
              I dont know about you but I like my sales section of my dealership but HATE the sevice department. I say just got by you DIC for oil changes or I recomend 3K for conventaional oil and 5K on synthetic (dont forget the lubes ). Then tire rotate every 2oil change or 7500 miles ish. Air filter every 10K miles and check breaks once a year or 6-9months if heavy break use. Of corse check fluids regularly. That takes care of your basic mantanice.Thats just what I do, I only take mine to the dealer if theres warrenty work needed. Like I said, I HATE my service department.

Service department at my local dealer is not very good. Salespeople are awesome though.

Comment

I completely agree with you two, I only take the car in when there IS something wrong with it, any other time I just check on the car to make sure everything is good-after all I have been working on cars all my life like the majority of us so we know what to look for.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

In the manual there is a section for suggested maintenance, which I would just look at and do your self. I guess I would be in the minority but I would def think it would be worth it to get it checked out. Probably not as often as they would have to but still it's a good idea.

Comment

Gm maintence shedual is
                    oil every 3k
                    tires rotated every 6k
                    i rotate and balence every 15k
                    at 30k i change oil, rotate and balence tires, fuel filter, and flush the trans fluid

obviously i check brakes every time the wheels are off, check fluids every oil change and check the air filter

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

holy shit back from the dead!

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                      Black/Black coupe

Comment

I don't do any of those, I think it's just a scam. Just oil changes and tire rotations for me.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

^my car doesn't go to the dealer at all, oil change and tire rotations all done in my garage
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                            ^my car doesn't go to the dealer at all, oil change and tire rotations all done in my garage
                            Me too, unless it's some kind of warranty work.

Comment

I take mine to the dealer. They have given me all kinds of deals on stuff. The GM strut bar at their cost, the wipers at their cost, and one free oil change.
                              I know the service dept people by name now. That works better for me. I feel better, when I know the people who have their hands on my vehicle.
                              Plus I can afford it. :smoke:
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X