Beware PGW replacement glass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware PGW replacement glass.

Car was recently damaged by some drunk jerks throwing rocks over a highway sound barrier wall late November, about $3800 worth of damage. The front windshield had been cracked and had to be replaced. I didn't think to specify GM OEM glass only when dropping it off. The replacement was PGW aftermarket glass. This glass is crap. Its wavy, not straight at all. It distorts vision at the edges, bends down at the corners, and is "bowed" so the glass sits higher in the middle and lower in the corners. It also costs just $10 less than the OEM glass, so its not even a significant savings.

So, if you have to have your windshield replaced. GM OEM glass ONLY.

How can you tell the difference? GM Glass is etched with the GM logo. Aftermarket glass is not.

Original GM Glass:

Aftermarket PGW glass:

How much damage was done to the car? The Windshield, Hood, Roof, Trunk lid, rear bumper, both 1/4 panels, and pass. door were damaged, mostly minor scratches that went sheet metal deep. Passenger 1/4 panel had a dent along the body line so bad it was about 3/4" deep. Basically every panel except for the front bumper had to be painted, some whole panels, some spot painted.

Can see all the damage pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8554026...th/8330631670/

But this was the worst of the damage.

While it was in, I had them leave the "GM" door badges off the car cause I hate those little badges, and I also had them leave all of the trunk lid badges off.

Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM.

Re: Beware PGW replacement glass.

OMG WHAT!!! I would have pulled a Uy and run their @$$3$ over!!!! DOWN WITH ALL CAR DESTROYING DRUNKS!!!

Anywho, nice clean rear end you got there.
    Hit the tires and light the fires

Current Mods:
    CRABs Option 3, Racingline TSB, Racingline Grounding Kit, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/Resonator Delete, Taillight Bevels, RAZO Pedal Covers, Painted Engine Covers, Powerstop Brake Kit, Painted Calipers, Gorilla Red Lug Nuts, REMIN Dash Kit, BMD Endlinks, Painted mirror caps, Partial Debadge, Borbet MA wheels, Eibach lowering kit, Monroe shocks and struts

Future Mods:
    AIT Front Bumper (Awaiting Paint/Installation), Concept Emblems (Awaiting Installation), NGK spark plugs, GTP Rear Bumper Cover, AIT Hood, FPU, CCFL headlights

Comment

Originally posted by Echidna View Post
      OMG WHAT!!! I would have pulled a Uy and run their @$$3$ over!!!! DOWN WITH ALL CAR DESTROYING DRUNKS!!!

Anywho, nice clean rear end you got there.
      Lmao couldnt have said it better myself
      Performance: Wams 93 Octane tune, Racingline STB, Racingline MMI's, Racingline Grounding Kit, Vibrant Catback Exhaust, Drilled Slotted Rotors, CAI, throttle body spacer, And alot of other little stuff

Appearance: Red led under dash, Red led map and dome lights, gxp vinyl on third brake light, vinyl strip on the windshield, painted red calipers, DDM 35W 6k lows, DDM 35W 10k Highs, DDM 35W 3k fogs, altezza taillights, 15% tint all around.

Comment

I have that same replacement glass on the G8. Happened before I got it. Knew it had been replaced right away due to the fact that it doesn't fit exactly the same as factory G8s I was parked next to at a meet. Likewise there's bubbles everywhere in it cause whoever put it on was a idiot.
        2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
        Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
        Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
        2005 CGM GTO.
        386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
        2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan View Post
          I have that same replacement glass on the G8. Happened before I got it. Knew it had been replaced right away due to the fact that it doesn't fit exactly the same as factory G8s I was parked next to at a meet. Likewise there's bubbles everywhere in it cause whoever put it on was a idiot.
          Is the G8 glass turned down in the corners like its curved? Thats the major problem with the PGW glass I've noticed.

Though the Tint they use is also horrible at distorting the glass, they must have tinted the top from the middle safety layer and it causes the glass to thicken creating a visual distortion.

In any case, I'll be glad when the body shop puts GM Glass back on it. For a measly $10 or so more they could have just put GM glass on it from the get go. How crappy is that.

Also had the sun shine just right on the hood today, saw a blend line. Gonna bring it up when I bring the car in for glass, see if they can tint it a bit and hide it better. Ugh.

All this body work has put a sour taste in my mouth, makes me want to be rid of the car before any of this body work comes suspect later. Its got a lifetime guarantee but still, not happy that its not GM paint anymore even though I had a GM affiliated shop do the work.

Comment

Finally took the car back, filed a complaint with State Farm and Collision Revision corporate. 3 strikes and you are out. Final pickup items wrong:
            • Roof has spot of Blue Marker under the clear because it wasn't cleaned up before paint was layed down. This means the roof has to be knocked back down to the base, possible color sprayed, and re-cleared again. This means there MAY be yet another blend line on the car if they don't do a good job.
            • The passenger door has a scratch through the clear and into the base. This entire panel was knocked down to base and re-cleared by the shop to fix the blend line on the 1/4 panel.
            • Lastly, I'm still missing interior trim pieces that were never installed after they removed the door panels. Things like screw covers and the like.

I'm now working with State Farm to have a different shop fix the previous shops mistakes. This means I get to go through yet ANOTHER month of smelling paint fumes as it cures.

You can't see the defects in this pic, but boy does it look better!

Epic G6 Reflectiveness by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X