To buy or not to buy that tis be the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy that tis be the question

Hey, guys i'm from mn and i have been looking for a new car. My family always buys wrecked cars and repairs them. I'm currently looking at a 2008 g6 gxp white /w the whale tail so must be the streets edition. Then damage is in the front end and would need a new bumper, hood, headlights, and fender. it has 51k miles and the place is currently asking 4800. I have already talked them down to 4400. I love the fact it has leather heated seats and a auto start for the mn winters. Being front end damaged opens alot of options in modifying the car as i fix it. To my point: where is there a better place to come then here to get some awesome advice from people who own these cars.
    1) prices i have got for parts include 300-fender, 300-hood, 200-headlights, 300 front bumper cover from LKQ a nationwide junkyard. can i get nicer costum parts for cheaper?
    2) any worries i should have about buying this car?
    3)thoughts comments are all welcome. I owned a 2007 tiburon before and everyone on the forum agrees they are just money pits that just aren't worth it.
    thanks for the thoughts and advise ahead or time
    steve

Re: To buy or not to buy that tis be the question

Bump for the night i would like to make a decision tomorrow thanks

Comment

Just because it has the tail doesn't mean it's the street edition. You're also looking for the hood scoops. As long as there is not front end damage (frame, steering, suspension). Then I would say to for it. But you also have to look at when you go to get rid of it you won't be able to sell it due to the salvaged title. If one of the three things that I mentioned above is damaged avoid it to all lengths. The car will never drive like a newer car and will always have problems if you're not careful. Also you might want to check this prices again as gxp parts tend to run quite a bit more. Good luck!
      sigpic
      MY PROGRESSION:
      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

thank you, and i know how to fix cars that isn't the problem and like i said my family has always dealt with salvaged cars. i guess i was just or less asking where can i find a nice after market hood and headlights. and if you could go back would you still have chose the g6 or would you have went a different route?

Comment

I love my G6 and I get a lot of compliments from my friends too..as for the headlights I'd go aftermarket and get some eagle eyes and as for the hood you can either go stock, aftermarket and some people on here have even gone the custom route
          Mods: AIT Hood, Black EE's, Crab O3, 25% Tint all around, Matt Black Dipped Rims, LED's in Hood Scoops, Intake Resonator Delete, Blacked out Pontiac Darts, De-badge, Molded mud flaps, Flat Black grille surrounds, Flat Black window trim, GM logo Interior Re-Badge, Tinted Tail lights.

Future Mods: Flowmaster Super44, Matt Black Recessed Uppers, Matt Black Recessed Lowers (awaiting install), Eibach Drop, Interior LED's.

"Life's short. Drive fast, leave a sexy corpse."

Comment

I do like the stock hood with maybe some vynel stripes or something like that. as for the eagle headlights best place to get them and do they come with hid's already installed? i been just looking on ebay and some on here at parts.
            another question
            1) do you think more people prefer the gxp or the gtp?
            Last edited by smtroupe; 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

As long as the damages are only cosmetic I would buy it if you can do the work. Anything structural/mechanical I would stay away from it.
              WAMS 91 tune,
              Racingline MMI's
              Chrome Intakes CAI (custom true ram air to come)
              35% side tint, 20% rear, 5% strip
              Debadged except GXP emblems
              Tinted tails
              Spyder tinted lights (complete rebuild + 4 projectors in design stage)
              DDM 5k HID Low's
              Polk 5000.5 amp, 12" Polk DXI sub, Pioneer 4way 6x9's. (complete system replacement soon)

Comment

So gtp or gxp? And it has front end frame damage but I know a guy who straightens frames nbd

Comment

I'd say the gxp is more popular due to the fact it has less KNOWN mechanical failures. but the GTP is my favorite. I had a choice between a 06 gtp and 08 gxp both with 60k miles. I chose the GTP and I am NOT regretting it at all. it's a fantastic machine. the panoramic is what sealed the deal for me. I can't see myself with a regular sunroof. and boy does it get up and go! I was told by a dealer that the gtp was the only model that came with performance tuned suspension axel ratio for near perfect handling.

Comment

That's not true. The gtp and gxp both came with sport tuned suspensions. I would go with the gxp hood and black eagle eye. Or contact coupe gtp. He has some body color matched headlight that he might sell you.
                    sigpic
                    MY PROGRESSION:

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Originally posted by samurai View Post
                      I'd say the gxp is more popular due to the fact it has less KNOWN mechanical failures. but the GTP is my favorite. I had a choice between a 06 gtp and 08 gxp both with 60k miles. I chose the GTP and I am NOT regretting it at all. it's a fantastic machine. the panoramic is what sealed the deal for me. I can't see myself with a regular sunroof. and boy does it get up and go! I was told by a dealer that the gtp was the only model that came with performance tuned suspension axel ratio for near perfect handling.
                      Yea what he said. GXP and GTP suspension is all the same.
                      2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                      Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                      Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                      2005 CGM GTO.
                      386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                      2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Never believe a dealer. They know less about most cars than the average enthusiasts. But any way, the GDP is the better option. Butter performance, better mpg and more reliable. EBay has eagle eyes.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

I think there needs to be a distinction here with the GTP badge. 07 GTP's are the same as 08+ GXP's just with the different styling but mechanically exactly the same.

In my Biased opinion the 07 GTP is the best option, never cared much for the GXP styling so the older style + the GXP Internals = the best G6 (Again my Biased Opinion lol)
                          Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

Originally posted by xlemosx View Post
                            I think there needs to be a distinction here with the GTP badge. 07 GTP's are the same as 08+ GXP's just with the different styling but mechanically exactly the same.

In my Biased opinion the 07 GTP is the best option, never cared much for the GXP styling so the older style + the GXP Internals = the best G6 (Again my Biased Opinion lol)
                            I love the GXP look but I wanted a manual transmission. GXP with a manual and I would have been all over it.
                            sigpic
                            MY PROGRESSION:

Comment

Awesome info guys and yes I would pay a extra 500 just for a Manuel trans but have to take what I can find

Comment

Working...
                              X