Aftermarket stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket stereo

After reading all the posts from you fine people about I-pod adapters and after-market DIC kits and dash removal instructions, I have decided to say forget the I-pod adapter that looks a bit flaky and install my Sony head-unit I grabbed out of my Grand Prix before I totaled that.

So I ordered the Metra DIC head unit adapter (I like the looks of it better than the Scorche). so what I was wondering is I have the Monsoon Amp, that I want to use, do I need one of these...

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundoem4a.html

or can I just plug my Sony head unit into the existing amp, through my amp outputs on my Sony head unit?

On a side note; I got no end of grief from a friend with a Honda Civic about this stereo, he says "My stereo plays MP3 cds and has a Aux jack" I come back that my car has 252 horsepower, traction control, a power moonroof, 6 airbags and a bunch of other goodies yours don't. He just says "I get 35 mpg" so I say point taken and shut-up.

Nope, you do not need a converter. Those are for when you hook up an after market amp to a factory stereo. And no, you will not plug in the factory amp to your rcas (pre-outs). Just hook the hu to the Metra kit and plug into the factory harness and you should have tunes. The speaker wire within the factory harness actually goes to the amp first, then to the speakers. So no additional equipment should be needed. Unless the g6 is different then any other car i have worked on. But i dont think it is.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I think you would need a converter or hook into preamp outs, because the Monsoon amp would try to amplify an already amplified signal and the stereo would clip horribly.

At least, that's what happened on the Monsoon in my old Grand Am. I used the line level converters from the head unit to the hiring harness.

Comment

I like my Monsoon enough, I'm not messing with anything aftermarket for audio. Do you have the Monsoon setup or bone stock?
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
          I like my Monsoon enough, I'm not messing with anything aftermarket for audio. Do you have the Monsoon setup or bone stock?
          Me? right now it is stock with the 6cd changer with the Monsoon, amp. the sound quality is excellent, I have absolutely no complaints about that, however the features are quite lacking. I could manage if the CD player played MP3 cd's or had a Aux Jack, but it has/does neither. and my Sony Head unit does both and I already own it, although I forgot the remote in the Grand Prix when it went to the Insurance claim center.

I think you would need a converter or hook into preamp outs, because the Monsoon amp would try to amplify an already amplified signal and the stereo would clip horribly.
          It seems you are right, but after reading around on a few forums there are people that take the pre-amp out from the back of the aftermarket stereo (I am learning all this as I go) and wire this to the harness, and cap off the channels from the new head unit. It sounds fairly easy if I can find some RCA to 2-wire cables. This will save me $100 for the adapter, I like that.

Comment

I am unfamiliar with the Monsoons, but i have done numerous HUs w/ infinity (Mopar) sound systems. Never once had an issue with the factory amps. Is there something i am missing with the monsoons?
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I am unfamiliar with the Monsoons, but i have done numerous HUs w/ infinity (Mopar) sound systems. Never once had an issue with the factory amps. Is there something i am missing with the monsoons?
              well, I don't know too much about it but I am learning, it seems the problem is not with monsoon amp but the Sony receiver I have, it has a built in amp that put out 42 watts per channel when it goes out the normal speaker wires, whereas the Factory head units have a lot less. and I guess the Monsoon amp does not have the circuitry in place to automatically cut the power down to something that it can use, so I can come out of the Pre-amp outs on the Sony Receiver and all should be good.

Anyone feel free to correct me on any of these points, I am a beginner when it comes to this stuff.

Comment

Monsoon systems are a 2 ohm system. If you hook up an aftermarket head unit, it is going to be pushing 4 ohms to the speakers, basically overloading them I believe. The opposite would be if you hooked 4 ohm speakers to your monsoon system, you would only be giving the speakers half of the power that they needed.
                Originally posted by TLS2000
                It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Monsoon systems are a 2 ohm system. If you hook up an aftermarket head unit, it is going to be pushing 4 ohms to the speakers, basically overloading them I believe. The opposite would be if you hooked 4 ohm speakers to your monsoon system, you would only be giving the speakers half of the power that they needed.

hmmm, this I think is going to suck! I don't know what to do at this point. reading through the forms I can't find anything conclusive, I guess I will try it, if I kill something I will just have to deal with the consequences.

Comment

well if you're doing a swap to have an MP3 I can understand but personally I don't need the BOOOM BOOOM-after all I graduated high school a while ago.
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I got it in, I have to pick up a couple of ground loop isolators I guess, because I get a loud popping sound whenever I change stations or change to aux input. I used the pre-amp outs like I saw on another post. I originally got this for my Bonneville because of the red faceplate color (switchable) and I have had Pontiacs every since and this stereo has went in all of them.

Comment

quintin66, where did you get the Metra dash kit? Is it this one?

It's strange because it has the same model as this one..

Install and connect a new single-DIN car stereo and retain the Driver Info Center in select 2004-09 Chevrolet or Pontiac models

yet the pictures are completely different. The picture and lights on the first one looks ugly

Comment

All of the metra kits look like the one pictured. I have no idea why some of these companies still have that nasty looking picture of it up there.

sigpic
                          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                            All of the metra kits look like the one pictured. I have no idea why some of these companies still have that nasty looking picture of it up there.
                            yeah what he said.. but I got mine from e-bay from DK SUPER STORE it only cost $129 with shipping.

Comment

So ^ is the correct picture of the Metra 99-3303?

Comment

Working...
                              X