01 alero F40 trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 alero F40 trans.

Hey everyone I'm new here. I've got a 2001 V6 GLS Alero (3400 LA1) that has been converted to the F40 6 speed manual. figured I would show you guys. And i must say... it's quite fun to drive. Sadly, I still have my winter wheels on. Soon to put the 18's back on...

Everything works as it should, push clutch in to start car, reverse lights come on when put into reverse, reverse lock out etc.

heres a couple photos. Also has custom blue powdercoated tranny mounts. Don't worry to much about the random wires in certain photos, they plan to be moved soon.

let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by sleepyalero; 10-01-2012, 03:58 AM.
    2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 3400, F40 sedan.
    sigpic

Re: 01 alero F40 trans.

Looks good man! Welcome to our Forum! May not be a platform mate/brother however.. it is a family cousin!

Notice you have an Indiana location.. where from?

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

wow, figure people would be all over this, guess not. haha. thanks man! im out by carmel.
      sigpic

Comment

Sweet!! I'm up in the Lafayette region.. we have quite a few folks in here from greater Indiana. Search around for "Indiana Meet" and you'll come up with the event I hosted back in July.

My ex-girlfriend had an Alero coupe and loved it.. till she totaled it.. i should have bought it then and fixed it.. but I didn't know better..

Stick around, its kinda nice to have some other kinds of rides on the forum. What is your background with cars?

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

very interesting. yeah the alero is a great car imo. mine has 177xxx miles on it with about 350 miles so far on the F40. (brand new transmission) i would say im pretty good with cars, i love working on my car and doing mods to it. i plan on throwing a tubro on the alero once the money comes around for it. but i still have alot to learn, yet automotive is really a never ending learning expierience, you learn something new everyday in the automotive world almost.

mods right now arent to severe. few appearence mods, pacesetter headers, pacesetter cat back dual out, no cat downpipe, modified heater tube, egr delete, f40 swap, plugs, wires, cai... couple other things, she is still a work in progress.

although i dont have a g6, i wont be around this site to often just cause most things here dont pertain to me.
          mainly ill be here if i have a transmission question since thats really all i have in common here. im more on the alero forum and grand am gt forum since they are pretty much the same platform. but im happy to be here. and of course will be here to reply to this thread.
          Last edited by sleepyalero; 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Neato. Nice to see it mated up!
            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
            2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Badass, my wife had an 03 .. we loved that car. From 1 F40 owner to another, swap the tranny fluid for royal purple. I made a HUGE difference in mine.
              sigpic

Comment

My parents have an olds intrigue that I drove for a few years... I've always loved the way all of the newer(00 ish ) Oldsmobiles drive. Very good solid cars for the most part.

Your ride Sir Looks freakin Sweeeeeeeet!
                Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
                INDIAN WARRIORS
                1926-2010

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan View Post
                  Neato. Nice to see it mated up!
                  thanks! appreciate it.

Originally posted by 06 6SPD View Post
                  Badass, my wife had an 03 .. we loved that car. From 1 F40 owner to another, swap the tranny fluid for royal purple. I made a HUGE difference in mine.
                  would you like to tell me a little more about it? made a difference how? performace wise? smoothness?

Originally posted by Tombstone86 View Post
                  My parents have an olds intrigue that I drove for a few years... I've always loved the way all of the newer(00 ish ) Oldsmobiles drive. Very good solid cars for the most part.

Your ride Sir Looks freakin Sweeeeeeeet!
                  thank you!!! ill post a photo of it with the 18s on. the fender stripes were put on last winter, and since then my 18s havent been on the car so this pic doesnt have the fender stripes, but the car also needed an alignment which i got done today, so soon they will be back on the car for about a month or so before winter hits again, just so i can see how it looks with the nice rims and the stripes. and yeah, the alero has been a very solid car to me, ive honestly fallen in love with it haha, and the 6 speed just makes it that much more fun to drive. they are good cars, just depends how you treat it or how the owner before you treated it to get good results outta most cars.

anyway here is what she looks like with the 18's wrapped in Nitto Neo Gen tires.

and yes, i know she needs lowered.

sigpic

Comment

the F40 is widely known to be notchy and difficult to shift smoothly. I put in royal purple syncromesh fluid, smoothed it right out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyalero View Post
                      thanks! appreciate it.

would you like to tell me a little more about it? made a difference how? performace wise? smoothness?

thank you!!! ill post a photo of it with the 18s on. the fender stripes were put on last winter, and since then my 18s havent been on the car so this pic doesnt have the fender stripes, but the car also needed an alignment which i got done today, so soon they will be back on the car for about a month or so before winter hits again, just so i can see how it looks with the nice rims and the stripes. and yeah, the alero has been a very solid car to me, ive honestly fallen in love with it haha, and the 6 speed just makes it that much more fun to drive. they are good cars, just depends how you treat it or how the owner before you treated it to get good results outta most cars.

anyway here is what she looks like with the 18's wrapped in Nitto Neo Gen tires.

and yes, i know she needs lowered.

Man that paint looks slick! Good pic with all the bright color in the back ground allowing the black to really shine the wheels make a huge difference in attitude on that car. What did you tint the headlights with?
                      WAMS 91 tune,
                      Racingline MMI's
                      Chrome Intakes CAI (custom true ram air to come)
                      35% side tint, 20% rear, 5% strip
                      Debadged except GXP emblems
                      Tinted tails
                      Spyder tinted lights (complete rebuild + 4 projectors in design stage)
                      DDM 5k HID Low's
                      Polk 5000.5 amp, 12" Polk DXI sub, Pioneer 4way 6x9's. (complete system replacement soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Rcb2875 View Post
                        Man that paint looks slick! Good pic with all the bright color in the back ground allowing the black to really shine the wheels make a huge difference in attitude on that car. What did you tint the headlights with?
                        thanks! and they actually arent tinted. i pulled the headlights apart, sanded the chrome bezel down inside, and painted it black.

Originally posted by 06 6SPD View Post
                        the F40 is widely known to be notchy and difficult to shift smoothly. I put in royal purple syncromesh fluid, smoothed it right out.
                        i have noticed that..... thank you for the info! i will look into that for sure! i thought the gm fluid was highly recommended for these tranny's? i could be wrong though.. royal purple is good stuff. how long have you been running the royal purple in it?
                        Last edited by sleepyalero; 10-02-2012, 12:23 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyalero View Post
                          thanks! and they actually arent tinted. i pulled the headlights apart, sanded the chrome bezel down inside, and painted it black.

i have noticed that..... thank you for the info! i will look into that for sure! i thought the gm fluid was highly recommended for these tranny's? i could be wrong though.. royal purple is good stuff. how long have you been running the royal purple in it?
                          Be careful when changing tranny fluid in the f40. It's probably not as important for you as it is for people with warranty issues but the f40 was designed to be a maintinence free transmission. Now I'm not saying that it should never be changed, I'm saying you should watch what you put in it. Gm specially developed a GL-4 approved 75W-85 gear box oil for that transmission. It has to be GL-4 approved because if not it will disinigrate the copper syncros in the transmission and the weight of the oil was designed for both hot and cold conditions. I've only found one other company to make this besides the gm and Saab part numbers and that's redline. It's all synthetic btw.
                          Last edited by Neatong6er; 10-02-2012, 01:12 AM.
                          sigpic
                          MY PROGRESSION:
                          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Originally posted by Neatong6er View Post
                            Be careful when changing tranny fluid in the f40. It's probably not as important for you as it is for people with warranty issues but the f40 was designed to be a maintinence free transmission. Now I'm not saying that it should never be changed, I'm saying you should watch what you put in it. Gm specially developed a GL-4 approved 75W-85 gear box oil for that transmission. It has to be GL-4 approved because if not it will disinigrate the copper syncros in the transmission and the weight of the oil was designed for both hot and cold conditions. I've only found one other company to make this besides the gm and Saab part numbers and that's redline. It's all synthetic btw.
                            thank you for that, thats what i was afraid of.

you havent had problems 06 6spd?
                            sigpic

Comment

well, i finally cleaned her up, shes lookin good. and yes, needs moar low.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X