Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna keep your fog lights on, all the time? (super easy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna keep your fog lights on, all the time? (super easy!)

This is a cheap, low-pro way of doing it. It's something I thought of while I was driving home one day, I tested it out, and it works! I know once I show this you guys will probably think of something better, because it doesn't look professional, but maybe I can spark someone's imagination. I just thought this would be the easiest, fastest way to do things (and I'm lazy). Basically, Today I will be showing you how to use a rubber band to hold your fog light's button down.
    (Sorry for the somewhat crappy pictures, I was using a camera phone)

First, your supplies:

I used a black rubber band on the final project *because you WILL be able to see it, scroll down* but for this one I made sure I used a different color to be able to take better pictures.

Now, after you've popped the fog light button out, you will see two holes on either side of the bracket. Slide the rubber band through these two holes, and put the two pens on each side (so they will not slip back out) like so:

Now pull the middle of the rubber band OUT with your finger, and hold it there *you can also use another pen, but it's easier my way* like so:

Now, take one pen out and pull the loop OVER the connector, keeping it in place.

Do this again on the other side.

Now simply click the button back in it's appropriate place:

*note that those pens should NOT be there, I just took the pictures out of order

Now slide the rubber band OVER the button, making sure the rubber band is holding it down. It should be fully compressed *push down on it to make sure,* if it is NOT holding down all the way, you either need a better (smaller) rubberband or you need to tighten the one you already have. Now put it back in your car and you're done!

Now to make sure that it is in proper working order....

What you should do is turn your car on (after you have the button installed)...you should see that the button is OFF. This is fine. Now pull up on the rubber band, so the fog light button pops back up to it's original position. Now put the rubber band back DOWN, making sure the button is fully pressed. The fog lights should now be ON. Turn your car off. Notice that the fog button turns off with the car (as usual). Now turn the car back ON and you should see that the fog lights come on as well!

Again, if anyone has any other methods of holding the button down (while giving functionality to it when you want it off *just pull up on the band to let it turn off, easy as pie*) then please post it here!

Thanks.
    = Gone as of 11/16/07

Originally posted by WS6 RACING
    Little bunny foo foo hopping through the forest
    Picking up the feild mice and getting splattered by Spazmatic!!!

Nice work man. Of all the things people have tried to come up with, you come through and take the win using a rubber band and two pens! That's awesome

I hereby proclaim this to be the "Spazmatic Fog Mod"

2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

:warped:

I'm sure these guys will come up with something better....

But hell I'll take the title for now
      = Gone as of 11/16/07

Comment

Theres one with relays and rewiring them so that they become your DRL. I dont think anyones come up with something so they stay on the whole time though.
        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

if someone can give me a pinout for the harness that attaches to the rear of the switch (in other words, tell me what each wire does), i might be able to figure out a way to do it electrically...
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by reubenk
            Theres one with relays and rewiring them so that they become your DRL. I dont think anyones come up with something so they stay on the whole time though.
            The How-to with the relays could be easily modified to run them all the time. In fact, it would be easier to set up to run all the time than to have the fogs shut off when the headlights come on. You would only need one relay instead of two.

Comment

Out of curiousity... They are called 'fog lights', so are you always in a fog? Is that why you want them on all of the time?

Clever idea on the mod, however I like that mine shut off automatically.

Comment

I like them on all the time.

I have them adjusted (like many others on here) so that they're pointing more upright then down directly on the road. They add better light to the area about 20-30feet in front of the car and about 10 feet to either side.
                The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Nice write-up Spaz.
                  Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

they are called fog lights but most people tend to drive with them on. they aren't that bright (especially on the G6) so it's not like it is impairing anyone's vision by having them on unless they are aimed straight up. besides, i didn't take the time to replace my bulbs with aftermarket ones so that i could never use them.

Comment

If you didn't want to use the rubber band, you can get the same exact results by disconnecting the connector on the fog light switch, and looping the orange and white wires terminals, as I've done in the picture below. No adverse effects, everything works as normal, fogs and park lights turn on once the key is in the on position, shut off when its not. You will lose the ability to shut off the park lamps and the fogs, but if you have a rubber band on there, it is the same thing. Just wanted to show this. Hope it helps.
                      Originally posted by TLS2000
                      It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Originally posted by Convert
                        Out of curiousity... They are called 'fog lights', so are you always in a fog? Is that why you want them on all of the time?

Clever idea on the mod, however I like that mine shut off automatically.
                        I really like having them on all the time, because of a few reasons. First, visibility, as said above. Second, it just looks better

Plus I don't always use things for their announced purposes, kind of like "off-road lights" that are always on on the truck. I like "getting my money's worth," so to speak.

Hey cool deal what you did electrically, but you actually can turn your fogs off with my "system" (if you want to call it that) by just pulling on the rubber band to let the button come back up
                        = Gone as of 11/16/07

Comment

All I do in our 06 GT is push the foglight button, then turn the auto lights off, the fogs and parking lights turn on until its dark enough for the headlights.....

Brad
                          Wife's 2006 G6 GT Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by MONTERACER
                            If you didn't want to use the rubber band, you can get the same exact results by disconnecting the connector on the fog light switch, and looping the orange and white wires terminals, as I've done in the picture below. No adverse effects, everything works as normal, fogs and park lights turn on once the key is in the on position, shut off when its not. You will lose the ability to shut off the park lamps and the fogs, but if you have a rubber band on there, it is the same thing. Just wanted to show this. Hope it helps.
                            So the wires are spliced together or on oposit terminals for the button?
                            BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

nice work but a rubber band wouldn't hold up to the heat where I live
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X