Question about mounting the satellite radio antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about mounting the satellite radio antenna

I just picked up a sirius radio and it suggested that I mount the antenna on the back above the rear window. The antenna itself is magnetic but it came with the adhesive strips to protect the wire from the place it is mounted.

Will that adhesive strip ruin the paint on my roof if I stick it on there and try to remove it?

I would have to go for no. I had double face tape on my truck paint for almost 2+ years. I scratched it off with my finger nail, cleaned up the area and there you had it. Black paint, with no markings Im not exactly sure how strong the adhesive is, but i would be willing to bet you would be ok.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

you could put some wax down in the area first to ensure that it doesn't hit the paint directly. should be fine though.
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

It won't stick if you wax it, if anything you'll want to remove any protection that is on there before applying.

You'll be fine, it'll act as a shield (if you will) on the paint anyway.

Comment

it sticks to my waxed car, I just run the wire up to the middle of the trunk lid and let put the magnet at the very bottom on the back window/top of the trunk lid so it isn't really seen.
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

It will stick to a degree, but I was just mainly pointing out you should clean it first. For anything you stick on your car, and in general meaning. The bond won't be the same compared to as if it was cleaned before hand.

Comment

oh yeah definitely clean before sticking this huge magnet onto the paint, get off all the dust and dirt off the car or the pull of the magnet will just embed all that junk into the clear/paint coats.
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Yeah I would prolly use the adhesive strips because of that, even if you clean it dirt will find it's way underneath it and move around even if it's slightly you'll scratch it. But yeah you have to worry about that as well, but I would just mount it.

Comment

I put mine sirius antenna on the trunk in centered under the rear window and now it is seen if your behind me because of the spoiler. I did not want to have another on the roof, I already have the XM one there.

Comment

Thats where I got my XM antenna, on the rear deck centered between the two speakers using some velcro to hold it in place. Looks professional and you dont have to worry about pulling up weatherstripping and creating a leak or fucking the wire up (I stripped my old antenna cause it rubbed on the metal between the weatherstripping).

Comment

Working...
                    X