need help installing aftermarket headunit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help installing aftermarket headunit

Im having a friend install an indash clarion flip screen DVD player and i want to know what all we'll need. I got the mounting kit but dont we also need a wire harness if i want to put the stock unit back in? I went to this one car audio place and he was trying to sell me this $60 thing and he said id have to keep my stock radio in the trunk or something cuz otherwise it give me some error code. i thought he was crazy! Where do i get the wire harness from? i cant find it and is that all i need, i realize ill be losing my DIC but dont really care since most stuff on there is off anyways and ill lose XM but im gonna take the dvd player over it. Is that all we need (mounting kit and wire harness) or is there something else? thanks for the help!!

some vehicles (hummers and some caddy's) with the bose, XM, onstar and all that used the radio as a "brain". There werent relays and harness's to help that out so you'd have to keep the stock radio in the trunk, hatch, etc so the brain was still there. This is why us G6 owners were leary of changing headunits at first becasue the DIC was intergrated into the headunit so we werent sure what else we would loose (if anything). Now they sell harness's so you can change out the factory bose system in say a hummer and not have to keep the stock radio in the trunk. The G6 if you change it you will loose the DIC (without the special kit), XM (which you already know) and Onstar wouldnt come thru the radio if you had it. All you need is the fitting kit and the harness made for the G6, the DIC plug you'd just tuck away and not use!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

That's why I love my Metra kit. It comes with all the harnesses you need...for the radio, DIC, onstar...
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

awesome thanks for the info, where did you guys get the harness from, i cant find it. thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X