How-To Install HID's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Install HID's

I know I've been saying for a long time I'd do a How-To on installing HID's and here it is! It is not too difficult but I have been contacted by many members through IM and PM in the last month or so interested in HID kits and the installation of them so this should help everyone out. Now this is going to be a pretty basic installation for most HID kits out there which are all plug and play. For reliability most sellers will sell you a second wiring harness for each capsule which includes a power, ground, and relay but with most newer cars this is not needed so I'm not including the extra wiring in this How-To.

With all that being said lets get down to business. Most of you interested in HID's have probably ran other lights such as Nokyas or similar bulbs and want something more-meaning you have taken out the headlights to replace your bulbs and that is where you would start here.

1. This is mostly a pic of just my WideView Prime 8000K HID's on the passenger side to give everyone a reference where I will be working.

2. Second picture shows an absolutely excellent mounting location for the ballasts on both sides of the car. I've had tremendous difficulty in finding locations to mount the ballasts on other vehicles but the G6 is perfect. Most ballasts come with a sort of tray they sit it but if not just use some double sided adhesive foam and clean off the back of the ballast and the rail of the car and use the adhesive foam to stick the ballasts in place-since there is no force working against them except gravity they will never go anywhere in this spot.

Closer picture of the ballast in the tray-the ballast is stuck to the tray with adhesive foam, then the tray is installed onto the car with adhesive foam also-best mounting method I have seen with this car.

3. Next you need to take the "caps" off the back of the headlights where the lows are-or wheverever you are installing them and use a large drill bit and drill a pretty larg hole in the middle and start working outwards. This hole needs to be large enough to allow the wires from the capsule to run through to the ballast.

4. Once that is completed connect the signal wires from the factory harness of the car to the harness of the HID's as per the HID manual (I can't tell you exactly because every kit is different). Once that is connected these wires will stay within the light housing and you can re-install the light cover and be sure to pull the grommet through the hole and work the grommet around the hole you cut which shouldn't be too large and not too small-just enough to let the groove in the grommet sit on the plastic to keep dirt out.
    First pic is the harness from the HID kit plugged into the factory car harness.

The second pic is the completed wiring from the HID kit and the vehicle harness with the grommet in place within the light cap.

5. No pic here but everything should be installed-the capsule in each headlight housing and each ballast on the frame of the car on each side. Now simply connect the wires from the capsule to the wires on the ballast-they are manufactured so they cannot be connected wrong-just look at the manual for your specific kit and thats it.

6. One last thing is the razor sharp lip that comes off the radiator support. As you can see in this picture on some kits the wires will rub on this lip and can possibly short out-with the amount of power coming from the ballast that would be a really bad thing.

My solution to this was to take a Dremel tool and cut away a clean section on each side to allow for the wires to come out of the light housing and bend down towards each ballast-pretty simple and doesn't look bad at all but be sure to spray the area with primer or clear to protect the bare metal.

That is it for installing HID's! I'm sure most of you will contact me with questions regarding your specific kit which is fine-I enjoy helping anyone out on here. If you have any questions feel free to either catch me through IM, PM, or post a short reply here. Good luck to everyone with their HIDs!!
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

looks good blaine, nice job with the pics. the best part is all that has to be modified is the cap behind the headlight and the rad support. not too shabby

Comment

thanks for that!! that's probably going to be my next mod... even though i'm not the biggest fan of plug and plays.. but since my b/f got them for his cobalt, i fell in love and want them for my car too!

So thanks again.. look for my PM's for help in a few months blaine

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

thanks for the comments and I'm always here to help!!
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

the wires i just zip tied and then zip tied them to something else to hold them away from that...cant remember what though

nice write up, plain and simple

i didnt use a grommit, but nice work with it, i used some silicon to seal up the hole

wouldnt change a thing in the how to though

Comment

that was a long time coming. excellent how-to! The one thing I never checked when I did mine was that last step with the radiator lip piece. I'll have to check that sometime soon, though I haven't had any problems yet. Thanks!
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Nice write-up! I'll be using this over the weekend, I hope.

Comment

My kit didn't come with a harness to plug in to the factory headlight harness (the H11 plug). Can I just use these to tap into the factory headlight wires?

Or would the voltage fry them?

Comment

that sucks that it doesnt have the plug and play

i woudlnt see a problem with tapping into the wires it would be using, but who knows

Comment

yeah tapping the wires shouldn't be a problem since the power from the car is more or less a singal for the ballast to turn on. However I'll contact you through PM to figure out how we can get this thing wired.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                      yeah tapping the wires shouldn't be a problem since the power from the car is more or less a singal for the ballast to turn on. However I'll contact you through PM to figure out how we can get this thing wired.
                      Doesn't the power from the car actually provide power to the ballast? Or should I be using a relay for that?

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                        Originally posted by LoJac963
                        Doesn't the power from the car actually provide power to the ballast? Or should I be using a relay for that?

NOOOOOO!!!!

Relay relay relay!!!!
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Well I've got it all hooked up and it works great (no relay).

I'm unsure about using a relay. Lojac's instructions above, and the instructions that came with the kit, do not mention using a relay.

Can you explain why I would need to use a relay? Also, would it be safe to use one relay to power both headlights?

Comment

even mine mentioned using a relay, but they are the same as LoJac's, and they plugged into the factory harness. I think you use a relay if you're getting the power directly from the battery...that's what the instructions said anyway.
                            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Correct.

You don't wanna power HIDs off the car wiring. Get the power straight from the battery. Especially if you choose NOT to disable DRL, but even if you do, you should still get it from the battery. In some cases, HID ballasts will pull more amperage or wattage than the stock lighting as well, which could lead to problems with your wiring down the line.
                              2009 PONTIAC G8
                              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X