new struts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new struts??

ok so my gtp has about 110k on it now and i am pretty sure the back struts are going. seems like every time the back end dips and bounces around enough they make a very strange noise in the process. i am sure thats whats going on but my question is, how hard is it to take those out and put new ones in? my only problem is i dont have alot of time or room to work on my car but i can always try if it means saving some serious cash. also does anyone have any ideas on the cost of something like this? anyone who may have had to have it done at a shop or even did it themselves. thanks!
    g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Re: new struts??

the backs are called shocks btw and they're hell of a lot easier than the front struts. go on rockauto.com cheapest your gonna find any part for your car. monroe shocks on there are like 30 bucks a piece about. and its just a couple bolts swap it out and done. the front struts require more like a spring compressor and whatnot but just to give you an idea on buck saving i just did both my front struts. paid $190 for both monroe struts and rented a spring compressor from autozone for 50 bucks which you get back when your done and a days work and its all done 200 bucks and some elbow grease and a sunburn. lol goodyear wanted to charge me like $600 to do both fronts (you should do both sides front or back to avoid problems down the road) and firestone wantede to charge me like 350 for just one side. so thats 700 all together. highway robbery. so just do it yourself you dont need a lift or tons of room. just a jack and some basic tools. maybe 2 jacks if you really want to make it easy one to hold the car and the other to jack the control arm up and down for fitment. save yourself a few hundred dollars at least. hope this helps good luck!
    J DOG

MODS
    35% windshield/ 15% strip to look less illegal, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, and 2 blue knight rider led strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged/custom vinyl badge, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows, added OEM fogs, 6000k fogs, third brake light vinyl overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, stickers

LOTS TO COME!

Progression
    http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929

Comment

more specifically shock absorber so if you look it up online. i got a local advance auto parts to price match the website for parts, but another one wont. so you could also try that.

also new springs if you want to go all out.
      J DOG

MODS
      35% windshield/ 15% strip to look less illegal, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, and 2 blue knight rider led strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged/custom vinyl badge, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows, added OEM fogs, 6000k fogs, third brake light vinyl overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, stickers

LOTS TO COME!

Progression

Comment

well thanks! and since i am so smart and i know stuff..lol i thought these cars had rear struts but boy was i wrong....
        and yes, my plan is to do both sides in the rear to take care of my issue and ensure that it is done correctly. i may have to take a look at what i am dealing with cause i am kind of a newbie to all this car repair stuff but i am willing to try almost anything.
        g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Comment

its easy enough to do yourself. ive worked on cars quite a bit but i had never changed struts myself but i managed it without to much of an issue. the first one took forever. but the second one and then i had to take them both back off again for a different reason and now i can do it in no time. but the rear shocks are a ton less work. only a couple bolts and no spring to worry about bc they're not connected like the front ones. but id be willing to bet that you wouldnt have to much of an issue even with little mechanical experience. let us know how it turns out when you do it though. i have to do mine next. ive also never changed mine but i just researched so i feel good about it. also with anything you do google and youtube are your friend. specially youtube bc you get right up in there with a video to see how its done.
          J DOG

MODS

LOTS TO COME!

Progression

Comment

i guess im getting close to needing new ones.. I wish I remembered who made the struts and shocks that were for lowered vehicles.. with my springs, I'm stuck in the wrong valve positions and my shocks are quite hard for harsh imperfections on the roadways..

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

i didnt think you needed them for our car. i havent found anything about them on the internet. besides the drop isnt severe. i would think that an upgraded set would be fine like some monroes or something.
              J DOG

MODS

LOTS TO COME!

Progression

Comment

2.25in drop all around is severe enough to put the needles in the valves in the wrong location. Hit much of a bump and the shocks are nearly firm and it sounds as if the struts are gonna come through the hood. roads in florida are much better then they are here in the midwest, and every sunken railroad track and every frost heave is enough to shake dentures loose... I just do my best to avoid them and my wheel bearings seem to be happier for that

I know there had been talk before of a monroe or bilsteen strut specifically for this kinda thing.. Just don't know where or what happened to it..

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

i feel u on the harsh ride with sprints...my rears are fine but my fronts hit hard on any bad bumps....but most roads down here in FL are pretty smooth

"Wheel gap can be compared to a vaginaa. The more fingers you can stick in the worse off you are. "

Comment

I found some bilstein struts from Germany that are sold with Eibach lowering springs for the Vauxhall counterpart. Means they are valved better.. now to find someone to get them stateside..

Comment

this problem could be avioded with one word. Coilovers. This will be next on my list after brembo's and one more thing...
                      sigpic
                      MY PROGRESSION:
                      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

yup.. its on the list.. however.. wanted to price compare at least.. probably similar

Comment

I would say it would probaly be a little more expensive for the coilovers. But hell while you're at it and already spending the money. I would spring the extra for the fully adjustable kit.
                          sigpic
                          MY PROGRESSION:
                          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

not that threads cant change topics or anything cause i really dont mind and i hate to break up the lowering suspension talk but with noises in my back end with big dip in the road and such, what should i look at? its not a squeeky noise at all more the a "bung" type? sorry i cant really explain it but i just want to make sure i check everything i might need to back there

Comment

your shocks may have gone out. I would look into replacing them shortly. The "Bung" noise could be the muffler bottoming on the road as a result of the lack of damping in your rear suspension.

Comment

Working...
                              X