factory XM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factory XM

Does anyone know the location of the factory installed XM tuner?

thanks

i believe it is in the trunk on convertibles, and behind the dash for the rest of the line.

just curious...if you don't mind me asking...what you got in mind?
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

i don't mind at all.

i bought the axxess direct connect for my ipod. if the car has factory XM, you have to install a relay to kill the power to the XM tuner when you want to use the ipod adapter. i didn't want to bother with the relay, and i don't like XM anyway, so they said if i simply unplugged the XM tuner that would work fine. I found the fuse in the trunk for the XM, and i unplugged it. they were right, it worked great without the relay. the only problem was that the remote keyless entry is on the same fuse, so now i'm back to trying to find the XM tuner to unplug it. I had the bottom of the dash all removed, and i couldn't find the tuner. anyone have any ideas on exactly where it is, or what it looks like?

thanks

Comment

I believe that the plug you pull out from the back of your stereo and replace with the Axxess plug is for XM. If you leave that plug hanging, instead of plugging it into the Axxess cable, your XM should be disabled.

Hope that makes sense...

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
          I believe that the plug you pull out from the back of your stereo and replace with the Axxess plug is for XM. If you leave that plug hanging, instead of plugging it into the Axxess cable, your XM should be disabled.

Hope that makes sense...
          Are we sure that harness is only XM data though? I can't imagine any GM design being THAT simplified...
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Nah, I'm not sure

I'm just making half-assed educated guesses because I don't have XM and that plug has nothing in it on my stereo.

Comment

ahhhh. i gotcha.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                Nah, I'm not sure

I'm just making half-assed educated guesses because I don't have XM and that plug has nothing in it on my stereo.
                and thus the fall of man
                You sounded so sure of yourself on to reveal you were guessing
                BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Yea, I tried that before, and it didn't work. but... that was also when my axxess unit wasn't working right either. I'll have to give that another shot. If i remember right, whenever i left that plug undone, everything else worked just fine. I'll try it tomorrow, and see.

thanks for reminding me

Comment

ever find the tuner?

i just orderd that adapter, gonna need to do the XM mod myself...
                    2009 PONTIAC G8
                    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I believe that plug on the back of the stereo is for the XM. but not the data. The axxess unit has to tap into the GM Lan wire on the other harness, and that's where the data comes from. So as long as the XM tuner is still powered up, it's data is still coming in on the GM Lan. When i had the plug unplugged, there was no sound from the XM, only data.

Comment

Working...
                      X