How To Black Out Window Trim With Plastidip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Black Out Window Trim With Plastidip

For all you plastidip fans out there, I had been wanting to black out the chrome trim under the windows for a while and decided to do it with plastidip and it came out quite nice.

Materials:
    1 can of Plastidip (5 or 6 bucks at Lowes or Homedepot)
    1 roll of masking tape

First we need to remove the window trims, roll down all your windows to make it easier.
    To remove the front trim unscrew the screw below and pull up on the trim piece and it should pop right out

Next remove the rear trim by removing the screw below and pulling up on it

Once you have off all for trim pieces you should have this. Be sure to prep them with rubbing alcohol

Then mask off the black rubber on the top and bottom of the trim

We can then start to spray the plastidip. The first coat should be extremely light, it should be speckled on you should be able to see the chrome beneath. After that you can start to go heavier with the coats, wait 10 to 15 minutes between coats. Do about 3 to 4 coats until it looks nice and even and the last coat should be the heaviest. Wait about 3 to 4 hours for the coats to dry fully enough to proceed. You should be left with this.

After drying take a razor blade, i like to use a fresh one so its sharp. And run the blade through the seams between the rubber and chrome on the top and bottom. Be sure to do this a couple times on each side so that youre sure that the plastidip is seperated from the tape.

Remove the tape and you should have four nice looking pieces. I like to let them sit for a few more hours and bake in the sun to make sure theyre dry.

I also took this oppurtunity to black out the chrome on the front grill surronds

Finally reassemble the trims and you should have a nice looking set of matching black trims. Heres a pic of them installed on my car.

And the front grill surrounds blacked out

Sorry for the dirty pics of the car. Also i need to repaint my grill inserts as theyre full of rock chips and dull looking.

This is my first How To so i hope it came out well. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I thought it came out extremely well for the couple bucks i spent on the plastidip. I didnt want to bother with the vinyl over the trim since i could only find it in 50 foot rolls or so and it wasnt as cheap as the plsastidip. And the best part of it is if i ever get tired of it or want to redo it, the plastidip just peels off.

Enjoy!
    Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Re: How To Black Out Window Trim With Plastidip

Did you just leave the corner portion where they meet chrome?
    Mods: AIT Hood, Black EE's, Crab O3, 25% Tint all around, Matt Black Dipped Rims, LED's in Hood Scoops, Intake Resonator Delete, Blacked out Pontiac Darts, De-badge, Molded mud flaps, Flat Black grille surrounds, Flat Black window trim, GM logo Interior Re-Badge, Tinted Tail lights.

Future Mods: Flowmaster Super44, Matt Black Recessed Uppers, Matt Black Recessed Lowers (awaiting install), Eibach Drop, Interior LED's.

"Life's short. Drive fast, leave a sexy corpse."

Comment

Looks neat! I've been wanting to do the chrome on my doors as well. Is that "plastic dip" more durable than paint? A lot of us tried but with mixed results (with paint that is).
      COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
      Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
      MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
      Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

yeah what are the plans for the back corner. tape up everything around 2 semi heavy coats. pull tape of before it dries? i guess thats my suggestion.
        Exterior-AVS window and sunroof wind reducer, Dual Exhaust, Tinted tails, 35% Tint all around, DDM tuning 8k Highs & Lows.
        Interior- Red LED's
        Performance- CRAB's Option 3, Exhaust
        Coming up: MMI's, Painted Calipers, Painted Side Mirrors

Comment

Has anyone tried using this on their window trim?

I thought I might give it a try on mine.
          Hit the tires and light the fires

Current Mods:
          CRABs Option 3, Racingline TSB, Racingline Grounding Kit, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/Resonator Delete, Taillight Bevels, RAZO Pedal Covers, Painted Engine Covers, Powerstop Brake Kit, Painted Calipers, Gorilla Red Lug Nuts, REMIN Dash Kit, BMD Endlinks, Painted mirror caps, Partial Debadge, Borbet MA wheels, Eibach lowering kit, Monroe shocks and struts

Future Mods:
          AIT Front Bumper (Awaiting Paint/Installation), Concept Emblems (Awaiting Installation), NGK spark plugs, GTP Rear Bumper Cover, AIT Hood, FPU, CCFL headlights

Comment

Yeah as for the back chrome piece im eventually gonna tape it up and give it some coats, just got lazy the other day and didnt want to bother. And as for the durability of it, it seems to hold up fine and actually is pretty tough. A lot of people do their wheels with it and they have no problem holding up. Im actually going to try it on my wheels eventually.
            Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

that back piece comes off i used small flat head screwdriver i think its 3 or 4 tabs
              2005 Pontiac G6
              AVH-P3100DVD

Comment

I did my door trim about six months ago and it still looks like they day i did them. As for the wheels, i did my brothers winter rims in it and it held up pretty well in the winter, especially for the price. I used about a can on each wheel, 4 coats i believe on each
                Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, Eyebrow 5% tint, Windshield 35% tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Painted engine covers, LED tails, 6K Lows, 8K Highs, 6K Fogs Painted grilles, Painted window trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, RacingLine STB, RacingLine Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W

Progression Thread -
                http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18428

Comment

How do you pop off the front grill?
                  GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
                  2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Plasti-dipped Emblems | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABs Opt. 3 + FPU | OBX Exhaust | Eibach Springs |

Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | IMOLA RED | 6MT

Comment

There's a how to for that also. Search around buddy. It's not difficult either.

07 G6 base model 2.4L
                    Mods: Duraflex Bodykit / IPP Carbon Fiber Hood / tranny cooler / AVS window visors...more to come

Comment

Working...
                    X