Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I wire up L.E.D. interior lighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I wire up L.E.D. interior lighting?

I need a how to on wiring the led light tubes that I have mounted under dash to come on when the dome and map lights come on.. (Opening the door)

So if you anyone can help it would greatly appreciated.

Use a fuse tap-plugs into where a fuse goes and has a wire that comes off of it for whatever you need.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Re: How To: L.E.D. interior lighting

I'm not very smart when it comes to electrical car stuff. So if would help me out a little more by explaining what a fuse tap-plugs does and do? Do I put it were the fuse for the dome and map lights are or do I just put it in any slot? If so will this do what I'm wanting to do with the interior lighting?

Thank you

Comment

I havent heard of those before but going off the name I am assuming it would piggy back off the fuse for the device you want to tap (i.e the dome light). Find the fuse for the dome light put in this tap and then put the fuse back in? Anyhow you WOULD be tapping the fuse for the dome light
        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

RE: How To: L.E.D. interior lighting

Thank you very much very explaining it to me.. I did some research on it after I seen your post. It seems to be pretty easy, alot easier than I thought.

Thanks

Comment

yes it is basically a piggyback so you still have whatever item on the car fused but it also gives you a power wire for whatever you need that is also fused which whatever rating of fuse you would like to add.
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

How To: L.E.D. interior lighting

Well I'm still having trouble. I have installed the lighting and the fuse tap plug and the floor lights work but when the dome and map lights fade away my floor lights stay on. I'm using the same fuse for the interior lighting. I dont know what else to try so there for I'm asking for help..

Can you help me please![/list]

Comment

sounds like the fuse you are tapping into is a always on power source.

The best way to achive what you are trying to do is tap directly behind what ever item you want to work at the same time.

I have only owned the car for a full day now so bear with me but if there is a light in the door or dome light find that wire and tap into the line after finding the hot and ground and then run the power wire to the glow.

The only bad thing about hooking it up this way is you are putting more load on at circuit which can cause some problems if too many are added.

In cases with glow I have alway found a way to run a wire directly from the battery then fusing it , then attach a power distrubution block from there to a switch so that you can controll when the glow is on or off.

This way you can have your glow on without it being drowned out by the interior lighting. Plus it allows you to easily add on more in the future because glow is like crack ! It starts out small then you find your self with a serious habbit !

I have in my Avalanche :
                Inside - 4 reds tubes , 4 color changing tubes , 1 12 strobe tube and color changing lighting in the 2 front dome spotlights, Light up flame chrome foot pedals, LED in Vents

Outside:
                Street Glow optix 7 color pattern underbody
                Wheelen 6 Head 90 Watt Competetor series strobes
                Altec Line of fire
                8 LED red lights in sail panels to work with Brakes and turn signals

Engine:
                4 Blue 12" Blue neon glow

There is always room for glow !
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2546671

Comment

Ah, finally someone I can ask, I am going to put a tube in my engine bay, mounted to a pressure switch so it flicks on when the hoods lifted. My question is how much heat with those tubes handle and is the neon better than the led. (I have neons in my vents and HATE them, they have pinkish glow at night, daytime they're red)

Comment

I had a 6" Streetglow tube under the hood of my old car....when the hood was closed it sat directly above the intake manifold, and the tube was fine.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I was thinking of attaching the tube to the tower strut, do you think that would get too much flex to hold a tube?

Comment

Get a strut tower brace and attach it to that.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                          Get a strut tower brace and attach it to that.
                          oops just read my post, thats what I meant tower strut brace (forgot to type brace) My question was on how much flex that brace gets.

Comment

test light for a power source??

Comment

Working...
                            X