storage temps for satellite radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storage temps for satellite radio?

I have the Sirius Stiletto portable unit. I am wondering though - the temps are 23 - 104. Now, I think my car could get colder than this and hotter than this. Do I REALLY have to take it out every time I leave the car? It says it could damge the LCD screen.

I really don't want it to get messed up, but I think it will be a pain to take it out all the time. Is this a useless warning or should I listen?

Any thoughts will help. Thanks!

Re: storage temps for satellite radio?

Originally posted by rose0295
    I have the Sirius Stiletto portable unit. I am wondering though - the temps are 23 - 104. Now, I think my car could get colder than this and hotter than this. Do I REALLY have to take it out every time I leave the car? It says it could damge the LCD screen.

I really don't want it to get messed up, but I think it will be a pain to take it out all the time. Is this a useless warning or should I listen?

Any thoughts will help. Thanks!
    I'm guessing the crystal in the LCD can crack. I think you should. Reminds me I should take my portable GPS out.
    2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

I thought that's what would be said. I LOVE the radio, so it's no reason for me to return it but I will find this to be a pain.

The manual actually says "Extreme temps or extreme temp fluctuations can degrade the performance of the LCD display screen, and possibly damage it"

Comment

Yeah the liquid in the (LCD) display can freeze and damage the display, common problem but it shouldn't happen til it's pretty cold. Something to watch out for.

Comment

The displays on the stock head units are LCD, and they manage to survive the same temp. range.
          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Condensation is also something to look out for, but there are a lot of factors if it will freeze and damage or not. Just depends.

They just put that on there to cover their ass, it's just something it's generally prone to for all LCD's. I damaged the screen on my old radar detector when I left it in my car overnight, got pretty cold. But if they say extreme then it's probably safe for the conditions you'll expose it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrider
              The displays on the stock head units are LCD, and they manage to survive the same temp. range.
              You took the words right out of my mouth

Comment

When I had my skyfi2 in my vibe, i NEVER, and i mean NEVER, took it out of the car. no matter how hot or cold. never had a problem. as was mentioned, i think it's just a CYA policy, and you can probably leave it in there without a problem.
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

well here in AZ it gets hot as hell during the summer-upwards of 120 and over. My girlfriend has the same sirius receiver that I do and I mounted mine with a gooseneck mount from the passenger chair and I never have a problem with mine. She used to use the suction cup mount with hers and during the summer the screen would be black from the heat and you wouldn't be able to see anything until the screen cooled down so I ended up buying her a gooseneck mount for her car also. If you leave it in the car during the summers just make sure it is not in direct sunlight.
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

23 degrees? Yikes.....I bet that would snap a LCD screen. I would take it inside.
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                      23 degrees? Yikes.....I bet that would snap a LCD screen. I would take it inside.
                      Nah. Unless the display were exposed to a sizeable shock while at that low temperature, you shouldn't have issues. My skyfi had been in my car at temps well below zero.
                      2009 PONTIAC G8
                      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

man....that is cold! Last time I saw 22 degrees was north of Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado.
                        Did some camping. Ended up with pneumonia and that was in June about 10 years ago.

That was just my opinion on the LCD.....I am not a professional! :warped:
                        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                          That was just my opinion on the LCD.....I am not a professional! :warped:
                          The opinions presented in this thread do not necessarily reflect those of G6performance.com or it's owners.

2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

22 degrees F? That's pleasant weather up here!

I've left my iPod in the car in -15 (celsius, so about 5 F) overnight and had no problems.

Comment

if you arent mounting it directly to your window via suction, then i dont see you having a problem at all with leaving it in your car

close to glass gets alot colder than in the middle of your car, so the screen should be perfectly fine unless attatched directly to the glass

Comment

Working...
                              X