WAMS or VECTOR TUNE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAMS or VECTOR TUNE

I was wondering which of the following tunes are better, i know you can buy the vector tune online but i can't find out where i can buy a WAMS tune ? Help please

Re: WAMS or VECTOR TUNE

WAMS. http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ind...hk=1&Itemid=54
    Thats his website, its only open on weekends because he does this as an extra job. Chris is the guy the runs it, user name is GTPprix on here.
    Performance
    CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
    Platinum Apex Rims ( 18x8 ), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles, (Chrome)

Audio
    2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
    600watt Sony X-plod Amp

On the list:
    Window tint
    Glasspack

Comment

Thanks to you have to send in your ecm to him as well ?

Comment

You can do that or you can purchase a new ECM outright.
        Performance

Exterior
        Platinum Apex Rims ( 18x8 ), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles, (Chrome)

Audio
        600watt Sony X-plod Amp

On the list:
        Window tint
        Glasspack

Comment

you want a WAMS tune. Vector tunes are no longer good. as Chris used to work for Vector but left for WAMS. so all tunes after Chris left Vector are not the same. I have an original Vector from when Chris worked there. there is a couple members who have a original Vector. the New WAMS is more fined tuned. so go with WAMS

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

with the WAMS tune what kind of gains would i be looking at?

Comment

wams sounds sick.....it's too bad i can't afford it as i am putting the last of my income into moving back to california....my goal was to have brembos, wams, gt-r, FB crabs, and a fully maintenanced engine and suspension by the time i left new jersey, but i only got to accomplish half of that. which means no gt-r or wams for samurai ::

Comment

According to his site you should see about 12-15 HP gains.
                As for actual driving on my car I noticed it had much better acceleration. Quicker launch off the line. Better mileage, and the trans shifts differently and at different points now.

All in all a great worthwhile investment

Comment

Also, depends if you are doing the 91 or 93 octane.. The 12-15 hp is to the 91, but there are minimal gains between the 91 and 93. But, like cruisin said, the shifting points, mpg, and better acceleration (not to mention the removed governor) is awesome.

Over all, the increase in mpg will make the tune pay for itself. (eventually )
                  Performance

Exterior

Audio
                  600watt Sony X-plod Amp

On the list:
                  Window tint
                  Glasspack

Comment

Im gonna throw this random question i always had. What if i fill up with 89 normally but when i go *cough* racing *cough* I fill up with 91. Would it mess with the tune if its not always filled with 91oct?

Comment

Its not gonna mess with the tune persay, but you could mess up your car if you constantly run 89 when 91 is needed. Every once and a while *should* be fine.. But I wouldn't do it....
                      Performance

Exterior

Audio
                      600watt Sony X-plod Amp

On the list:
                      Window tint
                      Glasspack

Comment

i just bought a tune from an old member on here not too long ago. its a vbector tune but chris said he can do the vin change since he probably tuned it anyway so it must have been when he worked there or something, im not sure? i hope that its as good as the one from wams everyone talks about. i am really looking forward to the better mpg's and for sure being able to have a quicker 6 now. when i bought it, i asked hime about the octane and running stuff other than 91...he siad if you just put enough in to get you to the next place that offers 91 it should be ok so i am trusting his words but when i send it to chris for vin change i will ask him the same thing.

this is the sellers exact response to that octane question "You can still put 87 in, i just wouldn't fill up the entire tank. Apparently these cars know if the octane is too low (pre-detonation) and adjust for it. Just put 91 in as soon as you can (or just keep your stock one handy! haha)."
                        Last edited by crownee; 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM.
                        g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Comment

I'm not sure if there is an octane sensor or if it's the pcm monitering how the engine is running and deciding based off that.

I got mine tuned for 93 and have not run anything less since then.
                          I believe if you run a lesser octane it may loose performance and it may knock but the PCM should see it and compensate by adjusting the timing.

And I've wondered about running a higher octane on a "race day" but from what gather it wont really make any difference. But I guess if you run a higher octane long enough you can burn up your cats.

Also you know how sometimes when you punch it you'll smell a rotten egg smell? From what I can figure out I think it's unburned raw fuel hitting the extremely hot Catalytic converter. and boom nasty smell. After I got my tune no matter how much I thrash it, there is never a disgusting smell coming from it. So I believe it got me a more complete combustion.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                            I'm not sure if there is an octane sensor or if it's the pcm monitering how the engine is running and deciding based off that.

I got mine tuned for 93 and have not run anything less since then.
                            I believe if you run a lesser octane it may loose performance and it may knock but the PCM should see it and compensate by adjusting the timing.

And I've wondered about running a higher octane on a "race day" but from what gather it wont really make any difference. But I guess if you run a higher octane long enough you can burn up your cats.

Also you know how sometimes when you punch it you'll smell a rotten egg smell? From what I can figure out I think it's unburned raw fuel hitting the extremely hot Catalytic converter. and boom nasty smell. After I got my tune no matter how much I thrash it, there is never a disgusting smell coming from it. So I believe it got me a more complete combustion.

I have a 91 octane tune, mainly because I plan on keeping my car for a while, and don't know if I'm going east or west coast. But I've been running 93 through it since I got it, and haven't had a cat problem, or a "rotten egg" smelling problem either. Everything runs perfectly with the 93 through the 91 tune.

With the knock that may develop, the tune isn't necessarily going to catch and adjust to the problem.. which could cause bigger problems. And like Chris said, only run lower if you have to, and only for a short short period of time...
                            Performance

Exterior

Audio
                            600watt Sony X-plod Amp

On the list:
                            Window tint
                            Glasspack

Comment

By running a higher octane I was referring more to people who like to run octane boost a lot or spend the extra cash to buy 100+ rated gas, on a consistent basis, In a stock car. I would imagine running 93 over 91 all the time won't cause any issues.
                              And I can see why you went 91. I thought about it too, in the event I drive out to the west coast or something. But I figured that I'll more then likely have my car only around where I live. And If I did take it somewhere that didn't have 93. I can always swap my stock PCM back in.
                              I carry my stock PCM and TCM in a nice safe padded package in my trunk. Just in case I run into gas problems or other problems. You never know.

I'm not sure how much work Octane boost really does. But if you have to run a lower grade octane for a while, maybe you can throw in some octane boost with every tank and be good to go...

Comment

Working...
                              X