New idea for aftermarket radio install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New idea for aftermarket radio install

I want to install one of my aftermarket Pioneer in-dash mp3 decks. Problem is, as you all know, we have the DIC integrated. It doesn't make for the best options unless you want an aftermarket DIC for $300.

Here is my plan...

Get a FM modulator, one with a built-in tuner.

Mount the mp3 stereo under the driver seat.

Run the RCA cable from under the seat to the FM modulator.

It will most likely be a Springtime job, but I will start researching now.

Any suggestions?

SWO #21. PeanutEnvy- Official Dirt Track Racer/Dirk Diggler
    Originally posted by G6Performance
    Your username cracks me up

aftermarket DICs cost around $130..

-Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I really don't like the way those buttons look.... plus it is blue.

Comment

You dont HAVE to have the DIC, but if your like me and prefer the way it looks then your plan sounds good. How good of quality do you get from the modulators though. I asked someone else that has their ipod hooked to one and never got an answer.
        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I used a modulator for my Sirius in my old car (just doing it through over the air transmitter for now) and it worked flawlessly. I am hoping I get the same results with the radio.

Comment

Are you just wanting to add MP3 capability to your stereo? It's an interesting approach but it should work. Keep in mind that the sound quality of an FM modulator will never beat a hardwired system.

Comment

I am adding a mp3 deck. It thumped ass in my old car. Unfortunately I am doing the lease thing so I can't go apeshit changing out stuff. I just think it would be nice to have the mp3 deck in there while maintaining stock look.

Comment

Adding an aftermarket stereo to a leased car shouldn't be a problem. Just keep your stock stuff and put it back when you turn the car in at the end of the lease.

Comment

This has to be the most out of the box idear i have ever heard. Referring to the "thump ass" remark, i am guessing you are referring to the power? Running thru the fm mod. you will not hear that power. I think you should save your time and effort and just hook up a fm mod. to an ipod or something. Good luck with whatever direction you shall proceed with.
                  Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

So wait... you want to get an aftermarket mp3headunit so that you can "hardwire" the mp3 to the headunit? But after that you are going to FM transmit the signal to the stock headset? Wouldnt this negate the effects of "hardwiring" the ipod into the deck? Why not just use the FM modulator from the get go? There must be something I am missing here.

Comment

I think he is planning to use connect the MP3 headunit to the FM modulator so the stock stereo can "play" MP3s.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                        I think he is planning to use connect the MP3 headunit to the FM modulator so the stock stereo can "play" MP3s.
                        *DING* +50 points.

I have an Ipod already but I want to use my deck instead.

I want to keep the stock look, that is why I am going to do it. Do our cars have a standard antenna jack on the factory?

Comment

Working...
                        X