Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ragingfish's "custom painted" interior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragingfish's "custom painted" interior...

Three things sparked my desire to undertake this project. (1) Pontiac's lame decision to apparently NOT release an interior trim kit for coupes. (2) Even if they DID release the kit, the blue seemed far too dark to nicely match the electric blue color on the exterior. (3) pictures of other owners' custom jobs on this site.

Oh. And being unemployed gives me the time to think up more things like this to do. =P

So I went to home depot, a bottle of electric blue metallic (or as the bottle curiously labels itself, arrival blue metallic), and spent some timie in the paint section. After a little while, I found my winners!

I used rust-oleum plastic primer for the plastic parts. My color coat was rust-oleum metallics cobalt blue metallic, and then i used rust-oleum painter's touch clear gloss for a "clearcoat"-type clear protection top layer.

Took me about a week or so to do everything, as I did it in stages. I started with the radio/hvac knob trim, then started the shift knob accent, shift knob set screw cover, p-brake handle trim, then brought in the vent trims, the gauge trim, and finally, i'm still working on the door handles.

i have to say, i'm REALLY shocked at just HOW close a match this paint is to the exterior color! definitely seems to me closer to it than any other paints i've seen.

unfortunately, i did have a few casualties in the process. i accidentally snapped one vent trim ring (ordered a new one since, awaiting it's arrival), and the other 3 rings got scraped paint while i tried to reinstall them, so they're being repainted...the cluster trim bezel broke a snap and now doesn't snap closed properly so there's a gap between it and the lower steering column trim, and when i attempted to reglue the trim rings to the cluster lens (they don't remove easily unfortunately), a bit of glue got on the painted rings, and screwed the paint job up, and a little bit got on the black surround, and now there's a white mark. I'm going to see if I can track down JUST the lens to the cluster and get a replacement so i can try painting again, but it's looking like these flawes are just one of those things i'll notice more than anyone else, so i'll see about it once i finally get a job.

Anyway, here are the pics as of now. Remember, the hvac vent trim rings, ebrake chrome ring, and passenger door handle are still in the "paint shop," but this gives you an idea about what i've completed so far!

And this is a closeup of the passenger door trim and driver door trim sitting on the hood. It was an effort to help you compare the factory paint color to the paint color from this project. Unfortunately, the flash makes the trim pieces look brighter than they really are, so it isn't a great comparison, so i'll see if i can't get a better shot when it's all said and done...

2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

That looks really good!

Nicely done. Are you going to do the steering wheel too?

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
      That looks really good!

Nicely done. Are you going to do the steering wheel too?
      Thanks. =)

I hadn't even THOUGHT about the steering wheel!

I think I just MIGHT have to do that too! =)
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I'm going to be undertaking my interior soon too now that I've finished my engine bay (I might actually do a clear coat on those first though) I'm not sure if I want to go with the fusion paint I was using, or rustolium. I used rustolium before and it seemed to chip easy, the fusion paint doesnt. Otherwise paintjob looks good, let us know how it holds up.
        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

NICE! :warped:

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
          - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
          - DS S3 Intake
          - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

awesome!

Comment

I really like the gauges!

2007 Silver G6 GT Coupe (w/Hammerhead Spoiler)
              SWO Member
              Tinted Tails done by Chad (cbrenn71)

Comment

Looks nice. I think you should get the steering wheel also...it'll really even it all out. Also, your far left vent cover is in your cup holder. Any reason for this?

Comment

I think I like it.
                  2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

very nicely done
                    vote for steering wheel
                    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8
                    2005 Pontiac G6 GT....Wife (Liquid Silver)
                    1983 Jeep CJ7.....for the 8 year old

SSSS member #5

Comment

nicely done.
                      BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                      ^ The Man
                      v The Legend

Comment

I really like the gauges also, nice work man.
                        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Looks real good! I like it! Only part am afraid you might have chiping or wear on with will be the shift nob. GREAT job though!
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Nice!!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Hey, I'm a huge fan of painting these interiors, and you did a great job. Nice work. I really like the trim rings around the guages, that looks really sharp. :smoke:
                              SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                              Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                              CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                              Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Working...
                              X