Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-To on Deleting the DRL's (Daytime Running Lamps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To on Deleting the DRL's (Daytime Running Lamps)

To delete those anooying lookin Day Time Running lamps (Especially if you are getting HID's) , follow these steps:

1. Pop Your hood!
    2. Under the hood.. remove the large black cover that goes over the battery
    3. Remove the little cover under that cover that houses the fuses.
    4. Open the fuse box cover, locate Fuse #47 which labels it DRL.
    5. Pull the Red 10amp fuse out and discard, or store it away.
    6. Reinstall fuse box cover, black cover over battery, and shut the hood.
    7. Turn car on and enjoy the lack of those anoying little DRL's!

*There are NO side effects to this mod, no warning lights, nothing.
    Straight up Pimp Trollin'
    2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
    w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Originally posted by bristol16
    any idea what resistor it takes to disable the AHL?
    I don't think it would be a good idea to modify your AHL sensor because you would get yourself into trouble with vehicle thinking it was always daytime and then your dash lights wouldn't work correctly and your radio display would be too bright when it was dark outside.

You do realize you can disable AHL (or DRLs) already whenever you want using the factory headlamp switch, right? Most new GM vehicles now have a 4-position headlamp switch which provide this ability.

Just rotate down to momentary On/Off position and Auto Head Lamps (and DRLs) are disabled for the ignition cycle. If you want them back on just rotate it again. The DIC will display a message each time you change state.

Similar thing happens if you turn headlamp switch to Park position. The park lamps turn on but Auto Head Lamps and DRLs are disabled. This is called "Dim to Park" mode.

If you don't want the lights to turning "ON" at all when initially starting vehicle (before you shut of AHL) at night there is a sequence to do this which I can cover if interested...

All this doesn't work for vehicles originally sold in Canada because of legal requirements for DRLs or "white light" when vehicle is moving so on those the switch only works when you are in Park gear (or when park brake set on manual trans).

Comment

ha...
      i looked in my fuse box and the DRL fuse is labeled as #46. Pulled it out and the damn light still come on when i start the car..
      What gives??
      This is on a 06 G6 base sedan....

Comment

was it dark out?

if it was that is why, if sensor in car still didnt have enough light they will come on...if not then you pulled wrong fuse, cause without there is no circuit to turn them on

Comment

ok i think i understand now
          doh......
          so there is a difference between DRL (daytime running lamps) and AHL....?

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
            ok i think i understand now
            doh......
            so there is a difference between DRL (daytime running lamps) and AHL....?
            Correct. DRL puts your headlights on at a reduced brightness to make your car more visible to others when headlights are not on. No taillights or any other lights are on when in DRL mode.

When the AHL detects that it is dark enough, it turns on full headlights, tails, interior, etc. If the car is running when this happens, it waits (I believe) 10-15 seconds before engaging headlights (to prevent the lights from going on and off when simply going through "dark zones" or tunnels). If it is dark and the car is started, the lights automatically come on immediately.
            2009 PONTIAC G8
            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
              ha...
              i looked in my fuse box and the DRL fuse is labeled as #46. Pulled it out and the damn light still come on when i start the car..
              What gives??
              This is on a 06 G6 base sedan....
              I tried this long ago and it wouldnt work on the Sedan.
              I understand that the Coupes have success with this though.

Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
              Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
              WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

this works on sedan...i have mine off because of HID install...pull the drl fuse and the drl relay fuse (#43)

actually i pulled the relay first and they never came back on..but i pulled other just to be safe later

Comment

Doesnt work on mine.
                  Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                  Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                  WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

did you take out that relay fuse? try it and let us know

Comment

seee my sedan says DRL are #46

Comment

either way...doesnt really matter the number, but pull the drl mini fuse and the drl relay fuse and you shouldnt have your problem anymore

and make sure you test them in daylight, not in a garage or at night..cause they they are coming on no matter what

Comment

now just to put the worst case scenario on the table

if your hids or your normal lights short out for some reason without the relay and the fuse in the fuse box there might be a heap load of damage cause of the missing circuit components,,,,
                          just my 2 cents

Comment

why does my drl relay have to do with my regular running lights...nadda

they are on different circuits

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                              Originally posted by bristol16
                              any idea what resistor it takes to disable the AHL?
                              I don't think it would be a good idea to modify your AHL sensor because you would get yourself into trouble with vehicle thinking it was always daytime and then your dash lights wouldn't work correctly and your radio display would be too bright when it was dark outside.

You do realize you can disable AHL (or DRLs) already whenever you want using the factory headlamp switch, right? Most new GM vehicles now have a 4-position headlamp switch which provide this ability.

Just rotate down to momentary On/Off position and Auto Head Lamps (and DRLs) are disabled for the ignition cycle. If you want them back on just rotate it again. The DIC will display a message each time you change state.

Similar thing happens if you turn headlamp switch to Park position. The park lamps turn on but Auto Head Lamps and DRLs are disabled. This is called "Dim to Park" mode.

If you don't want the lights to turning "ON" at all when initially starting vehicle (before you shut of AHL) at night there is a sequence to do this which I can cover if interested...

All this doesn't work for vehicles originally sold in Canada because of legal requirements for DRLs or "white light" when vehicle is moving so on those the switch only works when you are in Park gear (or when park brake set on manual trans).
                              Or yu could just turn on your headlights just like in any other car, by using the switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X