XM Aftermark Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM Aftermark Mounting

Anyone have suggestions for mounting my new SkiFi? I would like to mount it in the cubby hole below the radio, but they provide mounts for that. I've looked at ProClip as an option, but i would have to wait for that. Otherwise, i'm just going to stick it to the dashboard above the glovebox. Let me know what you guys think. BTW, I have an '06 Sedan.

IMO do not put it on the dash. it will look cluttered and out of place. Before i got my 6 i used to have a grand am. I bought sirius and mounted it on the dash and had too many wires running around and looked sloppy.

You should put it in the cubby hole under radio. You would be able to hide the wires and it will look real nice. If you do not want to tear up your car, have a professional do it. I know circuit city does a real nice job and you can watch them tear apart your car so they are careful.
    2007 GT FULLY LOADED!!!
    Black
    Black leather
    XM
    Heated Seats
    Remote Start
    Panoramic Roof

Comment

when i say put it on the dash, i meant mounting it to the right of the stereo. I know what you mean about the wires though. I want to put it in the cubby hole, but I don't know what type of mount to use to get it there. Unfortunately, I don't think i could live with myself, if I let someone else install it . Got to do it myself. I've seen pictures on here of people who mounted them both ways. Just looking to see what people prefer.

Comment

XM is in

OK, so I got my xm radio hooked up, I ended up mounting on the dash to the right of the radio and it looks pretty nice. I bought an fm modulator from best buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 3468786609), so i didn't have to use the built in transmitter in the SkiFi, but when i hooked it up, the reciever couldn't get a signal from the antenna. I hooked it up inline with my car's antenna and the radio works like it is supposed to. It has a connection in from the xm antenna and out to the radio and that part doesn't appear to be working. Does anyone have any experience with this device?

Comment

I used the same device to install a skyfi2 in my dad's G6:

Installed skyfi:

I foam-taped the modulator to the air duct behind the radio:

First off, we must eliminate the obvious. Make sure you're not in a garage or car port or anything that could be obstructing a signal from reaching the antenna.

Assuming that isn't the answer, try disconnecting the XM antenna from the FM modulator and plugging it directly into the SkyFi. You don't need to worry about hearing sound. If the NO SIGNAL message goes away and an artist name and/or song pop up, reconnect the FM modulator. If NO SIGNAL comes back, I'd guess your FM modulator is a lemon.

IIRC, also make sure the FM modulator antenna lead is TIGHTLY inserted on the back of the SkyFi cradle. I vaguely recall it being pretty tight and I had to push it real snug to give it a good connection.

LMK if you have any other questions.
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I hooked it up without the modulator first and I got sound using the fm transmitter. It works fine with the antenna directly into the SkiFi, but as soon as I put the modulator in the loop, it doesn't work anymore. I guess it probably is a bad modulator.

Is the connection any tighter than the antenna into the SkiFi? I'm pretty sure it is as tight as it will go.

Comment

Stupid question:

Did you turn OFF wireless FM modulation in the SkyFi when you added the modulator into the setup? IIRC, if that option is turned on it will disable the FM modulator. Could be wrong though.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

No you are definatly right. If the modulator is off then the radio will display just static or there might be no sound at all. With the modulator turned on it will disable fm radio and you will be able to listen to xm.
                2007 GT FULLY LOADED!!!
                Black
                Black leather
                XM
                Heated Seats
                Remote Start
                Panoramic Roof

Comment

So you guys are saying that I need to turn off the FM transmitter function in the SkiFi and it should allow the modulator to work. If the transmitter function is on, will it cause the SkiFi to recieve no signal from the antenna?

Comment

Originally posted by Quiksilver
                    So you guys are saying that I need to turn off the FM transmitter function in the SkiFi and it should allow the modulator to work. If the transmitter function is on, will it cause the SkiFi to recieve no signal from the antenna?
                    IIRC yes, the internal wireless FM modulation of the SkyFi can interfere with hardwired modulation.
                    2009 PONTIAC G8
                    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Re: XM Aftermark Mounting

So how about the actual mounting part?

Comment

Working...
                      X