Chevy 4X4 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy 4X4 Problem

I have a 1994 Chevy 1500 pickup with a 350 engine and four wheel drive. I can't get the dang thing into 4WD. It has a manual shifter and shifts smoothly but the 4WD does not kick in. Nor does the light showing it's activated. I thought if I manually shifted it then it should be in 4WD except it is not. Can anyone give me some advice. You can view my car domain page to see what the truck looks like in case you have the same one. It is an auto tranny and no locking hubs.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
    Originally posted by [i
    Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Possible and what is most likely the problem and is common on all jeeps ect 90s and up that doesnt have locking hubs for 4x4 dr. The vaccum system that engages 4x4 drive has a break in it some wheres. Have to find where it the lines are like in a Cilton book and folow them. Its a painful time consumong projet unfortianaly. But thats the most common problem on all 4x4s that doesnt have the locking hubs
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I'd say it's probably the actuator, very common problem.

Comment

Yeah I gave the vaccume lines some thought. I went 4 wheelin last summer and it wouldn't engage. After awhile it just kicked in. I don't understand it. I will get to work on it in the morning. There is just 2 feet of snow in my driveway. embarrasing when the biggest truck on the block gets stuck in its driveway.

Originally posted by [i
        Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Could be also the accuator like Troy said. But sounds like a vaccum, only say that because my friend has the exact problem with his Jeep. Would engage then not. He had to build enough presure over time with reving the motor then would work then disengaged. He tried to fix the vaccums but he got sick and tired of it and sold it becuase they can turn into a nightmare
          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
          Gotta have it Green color
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack
          GT500 track pack differential cover
          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

did you possibly fry the chain inside the transfer box?
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I keep hearing more about the actuator. I priced it at auto zone for $100. I took mine out and cleaned it up but no luck. I have to wait until after Christmas though.

Originally posted by [i

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I replaced the 4X4 actuator and it works. I was out playing in the thick snow banks again. MY BEAST IS BACK.

Originally posted by [i

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X