Removing DIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing DIC

Okay I have searched the site and I can not find anything on this.

If I remove the stereo and replace with a screen and dont have the display will it mess up the way my car runs or effect my ECU in someway or is it just a convience thing?

Yes it is very possible with no ill effects on the car or ecu. A few members have done exactly what you are talking about. Check out Teelo's (member name) post, i know for a fact he has done it and posted about it.

Teelo profile click HERE From there you can click on view "his" post. Or search the audio section for his threads.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Re: Removing DIC

Originally posted by G6doug
      Okay I have searched the site and I can not find anything on this.

If I remove the stereo and replace with a screen and dont have the display will it mess up the way my car runs or effect my ECU in someway or is it just a convience thing?
      The driver info center is just for convenience. I did away with mine and have had no problems.

[/url]
      Originally posted by TLS2000
      It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

wow....hm....I thought the DIC HAD to be kept no matter what. Dang learn new things everyday.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That is good to know. Now if I could only come up with the money.

Comment

Just a thought here: When my car had low coolant, there was absolutely no light on the gauge cluster, so removing the DIC might not be such a good idea.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

initially people thought removing the DIC would mess something up. but a few brave people have done it, and apparently there have been no effects to the car...but there are some safety issues as tom mentioned.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

not to mention I base my trips on using the miles left on the DIC to gauge how far I can go before needing to fill up.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Just a thought here: When my car had low coolant, there was absolutely no light on the gauge cluster, so removing the DIC might not be such a good idea.
                  I monitor my fluids regularly, and I have a bad coolant sensor anyway, coolant full, message was on the DIC saying "low coolant".

SSSS member #2

Comment

Originally posted by MONTERACER
                    I monitor my fluids regularly, and I have a bad coolant sensor anyway, coolant full, message was on the DIC saying "low coolant".
                    Unless you check your fluid levels on a daily basis, your fluid checks are not going to be very useful if you have an oil leak or coolant leak. You can actually havethe coolant level sensor changed under warranty, you know.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Unless you check your fluid levels on a daily basis, your fluid checks are not going to be very useful if you have an oil leak or coolant leak. You can actually havethe coolant level sensor changed under warranty, you know.
                      Yeah, I know, but I didn't feel like spending $100+ on a Metra kit at this time. Cars have been made for years without them. I'll eventually break down and buy one i'm sure, lol.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Yeah, I know, but I didn't feel like spending $100+ on a Metra kit at this time. Cars have been made for years without them. I'll eventually break down and buy one i'm sure, lol.
                        me 2, since ipod intergation is shady when trying to keep stockt head :-( ...they have some nice aftermarkets stereos (ipod ready/hd n xm)
                        06' Black G6 GT Coupe: FL legal tint, GT-R Exhaust, Black Emblem Overlays, Silver G6peformance Decals, CAI coming soon...

Comment

Working...
                        X