Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Lights Positive or Negitive Switched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Lights Positive or Negitive Switched?

Hey im trying to figure out if the highbeams and the brake/backup lights Positive or Ground side switched

thanks in advance

Im gonna guess ground since hardly any vehicles use that goofy possative. Should be in the manual though.
    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I know there are a couple wiring schematics floating around here also from a while back-good luck finding them.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

well what i mean is that are the lights wired so that the + wire is constant and the - is what turns the light on or off?

or is it the other way around with - being constant and the + wire turns on and off?

it seems its a crap shoot on which way its set up, some manufactures like to change that mid-year

Comment

the ground should be the interrupted circuit
          the positive is always hot
          White '06 G6 V6 Sedan 1SV
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Pioneer DEH-P6600DVD
          2 Infinity Kappa Perfect6.1 6 1/2" Components
          2 Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6"x9" 3-ways
          2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQ 12" Subs
          MA Audio M489i 800w 4-channel Amp
          MA Audio HK802SX 4400w 2-channel AMP
          AlumaPro CAP5 5 Farad High Flow Capacitor
          10% Llumar Tint

Comment

Lamps in question are high side switched. All are done with a relay.

With low side switched lamps you have to be concerned with having voltage on lamps at all times in case of corrosion finding a path to ground.

Comment

E2 was the only reason I didnt answer this topic, if anyone was going to know it was this man right here....
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

the reason why im asking is becuase im planning on putting a highbeam flasher, brake light back up flasher and some other assorted red/blue LEDS

and before the wacker comments start I am authorized to have the lights

Comment

Flashing lights always remind me of a saying that I gathered from working at the bars and seeing fat chicks in tight clothes.... just because you can... doesnt' mean you should

Only messin with yah man :smoke:
                  Originally posted by Toyz
                  Originally posted by simplyred
                  what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                  As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah.....

not a wacker...

Comment

Originally posted by cory y
                      well what i mean is that are the lights wired so that the + wire is constant and the - is what turns the light on or off?

or is it the other way around with - being constant and the + wire turns on and off?

it seems its a crap shoot on which way its set up, some manufactures like to change that mid-year
                      Srry bud thats not how a 12v constant works. You either have 1 + and 1- wire (ground) or you have 1+ and 1+ wire when the lights are off and and go back to 1+ and 1- when the lights are on (ground wire stays live, power wire turns off).
                      Electricity has to flow in a current.
                      Here a 12v neg ground drawn out in laymens
                      --(+)-->LIGHT--(-)--> (light is on there is 'flow' or current) --(+)-->LIGHT<--(+)-- (light is off power has nowhere to go)
                      Here is a normal ground drawn out
                      <--(-)--Light--(-)--> (Light is off there is no power)
                      --(+)-->LIGHT--(-)--> (Light is on the power is flowing)

Hope this helps you understand how this works. If you cant find the wire schematics grab a test light and hit the wires going to you headlight directly behind the bulb. When the lights are off if you have no power in either wire, it is a normal ground system.

LOL, after reading his question i realised this wasnt his question at all. I'll leave it though incase anyone else was wondering how those work

Comment

I know how 12VDC works, I've done enough installs on everything from Ford Type I ambulances to Cop cars to Fire dept Ladder Trucks. and everything from stereos to Lightbars to a 24 strobe ambulance

I was trying to put it in Laymen's terms. Some people dont know or understand wiring.

Comment

I know how 12VDC works, I've done enough installs on everything from Ford Type I ambulances to Cop cars to Fire dept Ladder Trucks. and everything from stereos to Lightbars to a 24 strobe ambulance

I was trying to put it in Laymen's terms. Some people dont know or understand wiring.
                          Yeah, I figured that out after I posted it and reread your question. Thats why I put a note down at the bottom.

Comment

the reason why im asking is becuase im planning on putting a highbeam flasher, brake light back up flasher and some other assorted red/blue LEDS
                            There is some "room" left to add loads to existing fuses but do you have any idea what you will be adding? The high beam headlamp relay and fuse are underhood while the back-up fuse and relay is in trunk electrical center.

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                              There is some "room" left to add loads to existing fuses but do you have any idea what you will be adding? The high beam headlamp relay and fuse are underhood while the back-up fuse and relay is in trunk electrical center.

Ok I guess i should Explain emergency lighting

The Power that supplies the headlight Flasher and Brake/Backup Flasher and the LEDs and the 100W siren, are not Pulled form any existing fuses int eh vehicle. They are powered Via a 6 Gauge Power and Ground From the battery ran into the truck, and terminated at an Auxiliary Power distribution center.

The headlight Flasher is a self contained relay center... when it is activated it seperates the Highbeams from the Vehicle's system and alternates only the highbeams left/right.

Same thing with the Brakelight/backupflasher, it is a self contained relay sysem that when activated flashes both brake lights againt the back up lights.

The LED's are also such a low current draw that its not even noticible. Im talking 2-3amps each

I have Installed much more equipment in much smaller vehicle without any problems

Comment

Working...
                              X