• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "HOW TO" remove shift plate/nob/shift collar

tools needed.
    10MM socket
    small ratchet
    small flat head

Section 1 (removing shifter nob and chrome collar)
    1. Pull your "E" brake up as high as you can, then roll your car over to ACC mode and put your shifter in "drive". (dont start the car, just move the key over so that you can move the shifter) once car is in drive you can roll the car back to off.
    2. Take your flat head and pry GENTLY in between the nob and the collar, the collar will slide done the rod out of the way. There is a small phillip's head screw underneath the shifter button. Remove that screw and the nob and collar will come off the rod.
    DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR OUT OF DRIVE OR RELEASE THE "E" BRAKE.

Section 2 (removing shifter plate)
    1. Push driver and passenger seats all the way back. Disconnect the plastic piece by the pedals of the driver side, and the plastic piece on the passenger side that run with the consolel.
    2. Once you've removed both pieces, look for what looks to be a "cap". Take your flat head and gently pry the cap out, there will be a 10MM bolt behind the cap. There is 4 total. 2 on each side. once you have the driver/passengers done, move the seats all the forward, there will be the other 2 caps on the back of the console, remove them the same way and get the 10MM bolts.
    3. With the bolts gone, the console will lift up freely. (keep in mind, that there is no reason to completely take out the console, but if you do so, disconnect your harness for T/C and AC socket) grab the console at the back where the handle is to pull down the cup holders and lift up, and keep lifting up till you see the plate, dont be rough but you dont need to baby it either. ( i realize now that it'd been easier to get to from the back seat so do it from the back seat.)
    4. You will see the shifter sitting on a white plastic piece, i popped the white plastic piece off, then took my flat head and popped off the shift plate.. connect the white piece back to the part it butts up to and there ya go!! paint away!

when you reinstall your shifter plate, hold your console up stick your shifter back on the white piece you took it off of and it will snap back on, then guide the console down gently to make sure you dont beat it off of the shifter plate and scratch it.

then to reassemble everything just repeat all the steps of taking it apart!

im sorry there isn't pictures, i was bugging Pooners about how to do it because I could find a legit "how to" so I thought i'd make it sense it was fresh on my mind. please edit if you see something that could be added or delete this post all together
    Last edited by penelopeTHEg6; 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM.
    ***CLICK FOR PROGRESSION***

Re: "HOW TO" remove shift plate/nob/shift collar

Nice write up. However you need to change all your "counsel's" to "consoles". Other than that add to make sure you disconnect your wiring harness for the traction control/AC socket if you plan on taking the console completely out. That is all.
    sigpic
    MY PROGRESSION:
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

has been edited. thank you.

Comment

Funny. I just did this today to get my carbon fiber shift plate on.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by zlatsky View Post
          Funny. I just did this today to get my carbon fiber shift plate on.
          you snap any pics while doing it?

Comment

I was going to try it today but its nasty and ugly out, guess i just gotta wait!
            MODS: 20% tint around, 5% tint in back, Painted rims, Custom Headlights, Cold air intake, tinted tails, Superman Emblem (blacked out), Two 12s, Painted Door Trim,

Comment

Originally posted by G6likeaBoss View Post
              I was going to try it today but its nasty and ugly out, guess i just gotta wait!
              not really a weather permitting kind of job. you close the doors and tear it apart lol.

Comment

Originally posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
                you snap any pics while doing it?
                only the finished product

Comment

only the finished product

lol i should have taken pics during the uninstall but didnt think id do a write up.... but that looks really good i like that!

Comment

my color matched one was fading a lot and looked terrible so it was time to replace it. the carbon fiber plate looks pretty clean in the G6 for anyone else thinking about getting it.

Comment

my color matched one was fading a lot and looked terrible so it was time to replace it. the carbon fiber plate looks pretty clean in the G6 for anyone else thinking about getting it.
                      Is that the "silver carbon fiber" one they offer, I was thinking of grabbing that trim kit if is popped up cheap again
                      Current: 2015 Volvo s60 t6 awd r-design platinum

Former: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9L Sedan Silver loaded w/ GT-R Exhaust, CRABS CAB Intake w/ FPU, AIT Carbon Fiber hood & roof wing spoiler, GM Ground Effects Kit, Eagle Eyes black CCFL halo projectors, 18" Konig Airstrike rims, shadow chrome recessed upper/lower grilles, 35% tint all around, tinted tails, Kenwood Excelon X497 Head Unit, R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors, silver door plate sills, Racingline STB, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires, custom GTP floor/trunk mats, gm carbon silver interior trim kit, CF dart & pillar overlays/plate bracket, rs-1 cf/silver pedals, red calipers w/ GTP logos, chief badge replacements, red/silver painted engine/battery covers, windshield washer relocate

Comment

Originally posted by ESU06GTP View Post
                        Is that the "silver carbon fiber" one they offer, I was thinking of grabbing that trim kit if is popped up cheap again
                        yeah.

Comment

Working...
                        X