Aftermarket Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Shifters

Are there any shifters out there for the 6-speed?

I'd like my shifter to be a little less clunky. Maybe it's just because it's my first cable shifter.

What do you mean by clunky? The way it feels between gears?

An aftermarket shifter is unlikely going to change the characteristics of your gearbox. You could get shorter throws or a different feeling knob, but in terms of how it feels moving from gear to gear, you've got what you've got.

Unless of course you do internal transmission work.....
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

I don't see us getting much in the way of shorter shifters either. This car has a fairly short throw IMHO.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Mine's a little clunky too. I swapped the tranny fluid out for Royal Purple and that helped the clunkiness.

Comment

mine clunks real bad in 1, 2, and 3. it's actually pretty disturbing how noisy these F40s are.

Comment

I guess I've got what I've got.

Does the Royal Purple make it shift better in cold weather?

Comment

Originally posted by RossettiJ
              I guess I've got what I've got.

Does the Royal Purple make it shift better in cold weather?
              A little bit...it needs to warm up before you really start to notice the difference.

Comment

A fellow who used to post on another auto forum I frequented swore by GM's "Synchro Mesh" tranny fluid. Never tried it myself though, I'm too cheap to buy it...
                Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

SSSS Member #3

Comment

well while we're on the topic of the tranny and clunkiness. The car seems to go into gear better when I dont use the clutch lol, how the hell does that work out. Like for instance the 5-6 shift, occasionally I cant even get into 6th, but if I shift w/o the clutch it goes right in
                  2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by spitfire2332
                    well while we're on the topic of the tranny and clunkiness. The car seems to go into gear better when I dont use the clutch lol, how the hell does that work out. Like for instance the 5-6 shift, occasionally I cant even get into 6th, but if I shift w/o the clutch it goes right in

Uh, thats kinda special. I know you can get into gears w/o the clutch, it's jsut a matter of the rpms matching up, but the face that it's easier without the clutch, thats very strange
                    Originally posted by colinpeddle
                    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                    That here, by G6er law, we lie
                    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

If you are consistently in a close RPM range when shifting from 5-6th gear (possible) you can be speedshifting without meeaning to. My mom used to speed-shift her 442 Olds and kick the $hit out of most local guys.

Buy a tack-light, find your RPM shift points, skip the clutch and watch your ET's drop.
                      How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

I used to speed shift my Probe, fun stuff, 'cept when it grinded the shit out of it sometimes.
                        BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                        ^ The Man
                        v The Legend

Comment

weighted shift knobs deffinetly help if they're heavy enough..... you could always machine some teflon bushings for your shifter though to give a firmer feel
                          Mod of http://www.EpsilonSport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny5
                            A fellow who used to post on another auto forum I frequented swore by GM's "Synchro Mesh" tranny fluid. Never tried it myself though, I'm too cheap to buy it...
                            Penzoil also makes Synchromesh available at atleast Autozone. I put 1qt of that in with some dino lube, but it didn't seem to do a whole lot for my shifting.
                            04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
                            Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
                              mine clunks real bad in 1, 2, and 3. it's actually pretty disturbing how noisy these F40s are.
                              Its a Getrag they known for gear chatter, they're good trannys just noisy.
                              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X