How to Seafoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Seafoam

This seafoam how-to was done on my 3.9L. The same basic principles apply on all motors. For those that do not know what seafoam is, it's an engine cleaning with various methods of use (oil, gas tank, vacuum line). This how to shows how to use a proper vacuum line to clean out the heads and combustion chamber.

Make sure your engine is warm. The first thing you want to do is find a vacuum line off of your intake manifold. On most cars the brake booster line will do, but I found on my car that the brake booster line fed into the intake manifold only on one bank of the engine. Looking elsewhere I found a crankcase vent line smack dab in the center of the intake manifold after the throttle body. This insures proper distribution throughout the manifold/engine. Here is the line:

You can see the line disconnected from the head (to the right of the oil dipstick) and see that it runs to the center of the intake manifold.

Next, I plugged the hole that I pulled the line off of using a rubber plug that can be found at any automotive store or hardware store. Without this your car will have a vacuum problem and struggle to idle, or not idle at all.

Next, for the ease of things, I took a larger plug and cut the end of it off and fit it around my funnel so I wouldn't have to hold my funnel while I poured the seafoam in:

Here is what I used:

SLOWLY pour a third of the can through this line while your car idles, it should take you roughly 5 minutes. You then turn the car off and wait 5-10 minutes. Turn your car on and let it idle for 5 minutes. It will puff out smoke through your exhaust (vapors are strong and depending on your mileage the smoke may be VERY dense and look like a fire. Be sure to have plenty of ventilation). After 5 minutes take the car out for a quick spin to burn off the rest. Dump the rest of the can into your gas tank to clean your injectors. This whole process MAY (and probably) will trigger a check engine light. You will have to reset this by unplugging your battery for 10-15 minutes to reset it or take your car to an autoparts store than can clear your CEL with a OBDII scanner. This process may also foul older spark plugs, but generally does not cause any other problems then a CEL or plugs.
    06 Black GTP Sedan 3.9L Auto Tap
    -Eagle eye projectors, 6000K HID
    -LED Tails
    -Racingline Performance strut tower brace and MMIs

Re: How to Seafoam

Nice write up...where in MD are ya?...ill come down during the MD meet have u do my car for some monies

"Wheel gap can be compared to a vaginaa. The more fingers you can stick in the worse off you are. "

Comment

Right on, nice write up. I seafoamed my 6 about a week ago.
      Custom Flowmaster Exhaust- CRAB Heat Shield- Tiger Ram- Painted Cals- Painted Grills- Eibach ProKit- Racingline S/B- Racingline G/K- Injen Air Intake- Spyder Headlights w/ DDM 5000k Lows- DDM 5000k Fogs- Plasti-Dip Solstice Wheels w/ 5mm Spacers/ Painted- Painted Intake Manifold- Hood Spacers- RotorPros Front/ Rear D/S Rotors- BMD-P Fr. Endlinks- BMD-P SS Brake Lines...

Progression:
      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18485

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster17 View Post
        Nice write up...where in MD are ya?...ill come down during the MD meet have u do my car for some monies
        A few miles across the line in Westminster, Carroll County. Come on man, with this write up you could do it yourself! lol
        -LED Tails

Comment

My CEL went off by the way.
          -LED Tails

Comment

Nice write up! What benefits are you expecting from doing this? I've always been a fan of seafoam but never really understood why someone would want to do this particular cleaning?

Comment

Helps clean off gunk off of valves and burns off carbon build up in the combustion chamber.
              -LED Tails

Comment

Also how often would you recommend doing this? Also i run fuel system cleaner every oil change...
                sigpic
                MY PROGRESSION:
                http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Hmmm not too sure about how often. I haven't honestly kept my vehicles long enough to do it again. I'd see it being considered useful maybe every 25-50,000 miles doing it through the vacuum line. The big results will come from using it that way in a higher mileage vehicle. As far as a maintainence use, it probably doesn't need to be done more than once every 25,000-50,000 miles. Putting it in your tank every other oil change might help, but then again it's around 9 dollars a can. Can't say I really know much about how often you should use it. I've just known it to be more of a once and done on higher mileage instead of an X amount of miles sort of thing. Maybe someone else can offer their advice.
                  -LED Tails

Comment

I've always used the brake booster line in my 3.5L, but now you have me curious about the crankcase vent line. Anyone have a good picture of where it is on the 3.5l?
                    2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
                    GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
                    Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

I chose that line over the brake booster line because the brake booster line only went to one side of the motor. I have no idea what the 3.5L looks like so you'd have to make the best judgement call.
                      -LED Tails

Comment

I know big revival but im planning to seafoam before the winter and was wondering if anyone found that line on the 3.5 or any other lines they use

Comment

There's also a third way to Seafoam. You can put it directly into the crankcase with oil. Usually to do all three methods you need about 2 cans.
                          First is the vacuum line, use about 1/3-1/2 can (6oz-8oz) as described here.
                          Then dump the rest in your fuel tank with a funnel. You wanna use 1oz for every gallon of gas in there at least, a little mores fine.
                          Then you can dump some into the crankcase with the oil. You wanna put in 1.5oz per every qt of oil. On the G8 GT it uses a monster 8.8qt of oil. So i put in a bit more than 12oz. You run that for anywhere from 50-300mi of driving. Then you change the oil. Your filter will be uber nasty and have all crap it got off components in your crankcase.
                          2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                          Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                          Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                          2005 CGM GTO.
                          386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                          2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan View Post
                            There's also a third way to Seafoam. You can put it directly into the crankcase with oil. Usually to do all three methods you need about 2 cans.
                            First is the vacuum line, use about 1/3-1/2 can (6oz-8oz) as described here.
                            Then dump the rest in your fuel tank with a funnel. You wanna use 1oz for every gallon of gas in there at least, a little mores fine.
                            Then you can dump some into the crankcase with the oil. You wanna put in 1.5oz per every qt of oil. On the G8 GT it uses a monster 8.8qt of oil. So i put in a bit more than 12oz. You run that for anywhere from 50-300mi of driving. Then you change the oil. Your filter will be uber nasty and have all crap it got off components in your crankcase.
                            This way sounds much better. But quick q, where is the vac line?

Comment

Originally posted by monstORR View Post
                              This way sounds much better. But quick q, where is the vac line?
                              Its not better. You want to do all three. Cleans different components.

Not sure where they are on the G6..
                              2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                              Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                              Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                              2005 CGM GTO.
                              386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                              2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Working...
                              X