Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Ford, please no. The Mustang as a Brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Ford, please no. The Mustang as a Brand?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... LATESTNEWS

Sedan and wagon models to join coupe as Ford builds on pony car’s strong brand

By GREG KABLE AND BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 12/13/06, 11:24 am et

Ford’s iconic Mustang is poised to play a crucial role in Ford’s future by expanding beyond its traditional role as a single performance figurehead into a complete range of global models. And the company’s Australian arm looks like the source for all the necessary hardware.

In a secret product planning meeting last fall, key Ford executives discussed a bold strategy to take the legendary Mustang mainstream. Ideas include both sedan and wagon variants of America’s original muscle car, with those cars joining the traditional coupe when the sixth-generation Mustang arrives in U.S. showrooms in 2011, AutoWeek sources say.

knock, knock, knock. Hey Ford? You see how much flak Chrysler is getting for the 4-door Charger? For the love of God, you've got the Falcon in Australia, bring that instead! Save yourselves!
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

LOL, so Ford's response to all the criticism about them narrowing all their efforts into the Mustang and F-150 is to make the Mustang its own brand?

Ford is dead, people.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

They should do it, but they should give them new front and rear facias and call them something entirely different. It's obvious the only important thing in automotive industry is the name. Name a new car after an old one and throw on a couple of doors and everyone freaks out.

It has been shown time and time again. Charger has 4 doors, most enthusiasts thinks it's dumb.

GTO looks understated, vs. the 99 concept or the last judge and everyone rips it.

If either of those cars had a different name people would have nothing to say.

which is why they should do it, hell even use the exact same front facias, just call it anything else. And watch people praise the idea.

Really, I see this is a disguised attempt for Ford to re-enter the rear wheel drive market using a platform they already have, to save money. It would be stupid to design another chassis.

Then they "leak" the info to the press to get everyone talking and ranting and decide to do it but change the looks and the name. There is no such thing as bad press, and revolutionary news, such as this travels a lot faster than if they simply said they will make two new RWD cars.

This way, when they rename it and change the looks, they give everyone the opinion that Ford Truly listens to it's customers and they all feel like they were part of the decision making process and will show their loyalty by buying one these new cars.
      BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
      ^ The Man
      v The Legend

Comment

uh... let 'em do it

it's dumb... but hell, whatever
        Originally posted by TLS2000
        Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
        GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

I'm not even going to comment.
          Originally posted by Nikki
          You are an e-pimp.
          Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
          I tried too, my penis way too big
          07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
          My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
          The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

I'm not even going to comment.

i belive u just did

anyways, let them do it, it will be another step towrds there dimise, soon for dealers will just sell 3 things, cargo vans, mustangs, and f-150's
            They cleaned my thing out
            g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
            2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

They can do whatever they want, I could care less about them.

Comment

See, what you guys may not realize is that if Ford goes down, GM will hurt.

Yeah, their market share may go up, but Ford may drag several suppliers down with them. That would really not be good for GM.

In order for GM to succeed, they need Ford to stay alive a bit longer. Maybe not forever...but at least several more years.
                2006 Saturn ION Redline...slightly modded.

Comment

so let GM go down with them lol. if they can't keep up that's their own fault (well...that and the disadvantage they have by being forced to abide by the US's crazy laws).

personally i don't see the harm in expanding the mustang market. i can see why the pony car purists might get all butt hurt about it but it's not really that big of a deal. it's not like they are turning the mustang into a 4 door like dodge did with the charger, they are just adding more models to the Mustang line up.

Comment

I like the idea of Ford offering a line of RWD cars...maybe not under the Mustang brand but in general. Hopefully this will make all the speculation about Pontiac going fully RWD reality.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnycat
                      They should do it, but they should give them new front and rear facias and call them something entirely different. It's obvious the only important thing in automotive industry is the name. Name a new car after an old one and throw on a couple of doors and everyone freaks out.

It has been shown time and time again. Charger has 4 doors, most enthusiasts thinks it's dumb.

GTO looks understated, vs. the 99 concept or the last judge and everyone rips it.

If either of those cars had a different name people would have nothing to say.

which is why they should do it, hell even use the exact same front facias, just call it anything else. And watch people praise the idea.

Really, I see this is a disguised attempt for Ford to re-enter the rear wheel drive market using a platform they already have, to save money. It would be stupid to design another chassis.

Then they "leak" the info to the press to get everyone talking and ranting and decide to do it but change the looks and the name. There is no such thing as bad press, and revolutionary news, such as this travels a lot faster than if they simply said they will make two new RWD cars.

This way, when they rename it and change the looks, they give everyone the opinion that Ford Truly listens to it's customers and they all feel like they were part of the decision making process and will show their loyalty by buying one these new cars.
                      Making the Charger a 4-door was an ingenious marketing ploy....

CMR tuned Predator by RDP ,Borla 125 cat-back,AEM Brute Force CAB,KW V1s Coilovers,Hotchkis Swaybars

Comment

Ingenious isn't exactly the word that I would have used, but to each his own. I know that I'll never own a Charger.

sigpic
                        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Ingenious isn't exactly the word that I would have used, but to each his own. I know that I'll never own a Charger.
                          me either, but i would never have owned one if they were 2 door either lol. i've driven in an SRT-8 Charger and they sound nice and are decently quick but the all around car is not as aesthetically appealing to me as the G6.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
                            so let GM go down with them lol. if they can't keep up that's their own fault (well...that and the disadvantage they have by being forced to abide by the US's crazy laws).

personally i don't see the harm in expanding the mustang market. i can see why the pony car purists might get all butt hurt about it but it's not really that big of a deal. it's not like they are turning the mustang into a 4 door like dodge did with the charger, they are just adding more models to the Mustang line up.
                            If GM goes down, it will be because they can't get any parts and then go bankrupt. So out of no fault of their own, they're screwed.

Good luck getting warranty work done if that happens.
                            2006 Saturn ION Redline...slightly modded.

Comment

Originally posted by handyjoe
                              Originally posted by bristol16

If GM goes down, it will be because they can't get any parts and then go bankrupt. So out of no fault of their own, they're screwed.

Good luck getting warranty work done if that happens.
                              I seriously doubt GM would go bankrupt because it "can't get any parts".

Comment

Working...
                              X