• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RagingReview: Plasti Dip Multi Purpose Rubber Coating

PRODUCT REVIEWED:
    Plasti Dip Multi Purpose Rubber Coating

PRODUCT IMAGES:

MANUFACTURER DESCRIPTON:
    A flexible, synthetic rubber coating which exhibits excellent moisture, acid, alkaline, and abrasion resistance. Ideal for weatherproofing paper maps (clear), slip proofing running boards and foot rests, adding grip/color coding tool handles, weatherproofing/sealing clay pots, arts/crafts, protecting lawn care equipment, sealing frayed rope and cable ends, and adding grip to brake and clutch levers.

PURCHASED AT:
    Lowe's Home Improvement Center

MSRP:
    US$4.87 for 1.5 fl oz (429 mL) dip can (CAD $5.59)
    US$6.98 for 11 oz (311 g) spray can (CAD $8.01)

DATE PURCHASED:
    Friday, Dec 08, 2006

COMMENTS:
    A pretty slick product. Very easy to use, produces nice results. My intended use, and the reason for purchase, was to rubber-coat the tip of the hood prop-rod on my G6. The 05 models came with a rubber cap to keep the rod from scratching the bejeezus out of the bottom side of the hood, but mine did not. This seemed like a relatively painless and cost-effective method of achieving similar results. I bought both the dip and the spray, but used the spray only for this project. I'm happy enough with the outcome that I'm keeping the dip can as well for future uses. It's available in black, red, blue, yellow, clear and white. I only saw black in the store, however.

Before and after shots:

Before:

After:

You can see the break between the rubber coat and the metal. It's not a clean line because I used tape to create a border, and didn't score the rubber coat with a knife before yanking the tape. So it got slightly pulled off with the tape. Overall, nice results though. The lack of personal experience with long-term durability keeps me from issuing a highest recommendation. In about 6 months I'll see how it's holding up and then report back with a final rating.

The bottom line: an inexpensive way to rubber-coat any surface. Easy to use, and gives nice results.

PRELIMINARY RagingRating:

__________________________________________________ _______
    RagingRating Scale:

= Excellent, Highest Recommendation

= Recommended

= Performed Adequately

= Not Recommended

= A Waste of Time And Money!
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Good idea, I wouldn't have even thought of that!

I don't think the 07s have a rubber tip, either, I never thought to look. Weird!

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

I know mine didnt have one but I got the redlines so it doesnt matter anymore. If your worried about looks use the dip, then score the edges. Dip will give you a much cleaner look to it.
      BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Originally posted by reubenk
        I know mine didnt have one but I got the redlines so it doesnt matter anymore. If your worried about looks use the dip, then score the edges. Dip will give you a much cleaner look to it.
        I'm contemplating doing one topcoat of dip, not spray, just to give it the clean finished look.

We'll see though.

Thanks for the tip.
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I can say this is good stuff... I used it in college to waterproof some crap we made... and I rubberized my favorite pencil

also used this on the inset grills I made for my G6 back in august
          Originally posted by TLS2000
          Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
          GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Hmm never really seen anything like that before, looks really cool.

Comment

always seen the stuff but never used it, nice write up!
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
              X