How-To Replace Outer Tie Rod End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Replace Outer Tie Rod End

I replaced both my outer tie rods after the driver side went bad. Nothing special about it but didn't see a how-to so figured I'd make one.

_____

I went with Duralast Gold replacements, I usually use OEM parts but the GM version doesn't have a grease fitting and the boot is garbage. If you purchase the parts I got make sure you check them before you leave the store. AZ uses multiple vendors and I got a different version (non-sealed boot) and had to have them re-order.

No special tools needed if everything goes well. A tie-rod separator is good to have, though.

- Jack car up, remove wheel, put car on stands. Helps if you turn the wheel to get better access to the tie rod.

- Break the jam nut free. Put a wrench on the nut and smack it with a hammer. Remember you're "technically" tightening it, so go clockwise. Just loosen it enough so its not touching the tie rod.

- Remove the nut holding the tie rod to the assembly. Its a nylon lock nut, its gonna be a pain to get off. Air tools help. Sticking a wrench between the boot and pushing up will usually work. Or if your part isn't rusted to shit you can put a wrench on the bottom of the threaded rod and use that as leverage.

- Note: Neither option worked for me, I ended up cutting the nut off on both sides. If you do this always cut the nut off, if you cut higher up its tapered so you'll screw yourself.

- Remove the tie rod. Mark where the old jam nut was (or reuse it), unscrew it and put the new one on. Its important to keep it in the same spot, if you don't you'll need to get an alignment right away. Doing this gives you some time to get it to the shop.

- Screw the new tie rod in, put it through the assembly and tighten. There's probably torque specs for this but I doubt it matters.

- Give your jam nut a good smack with a hammer.

- Put grease gun on sexy new zerk fitting and fill it up.

- Put wheel back on, lower car, torque lugs, take for drive. If everything seems good schedule an alighment as you can.

- Buy beer and enjoy being a manly man who changed his own tie rod ends.
    Last edited by Surt; 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM.

Re: How-To Replace Outer Tie Rod End

you forgot
    *grease the new fitting so it doesnt fail right away

and definantly get the alignment ASAP

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Hah, that would probably help. Edited.

Comment

part numbers? How much was the parts? I need to do mine....
        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

For a 2006 3.5

Part Number: ES4258

Price:
          Around $32.

Comment

THANK YOU for this guide with pictures. I will take this project on myself.

I just moved to San Antonio from Houston, TX and have not found a trust-worthy mechanic yet. I got a quote on this job from two different mechanics and both quoted the parts around 300 and the labor around 300 (not including alignment), which makes NO sense to me after reading your guide.

Here is my question:
            The quote states that the OUTER and INNER tie rods will be replaced. You only mentioned one part (ES425. What parts is my quote talking about?

The parts listed are:

ROD STRG L / Tie Rod (45A1059)
            and
            Steering Tie Rod End Outer (401-2059)

I know I am posting in an old thread, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arse

Comment

I'm doing mine on Monday....will let ya know how it goes.

MODS:

Comment

Originally posted by arseman03 View Post
                THANK YOU for this guide with pictures. I will take this project on myself.

I just moved to San Antonio from Houston, TX and have not found a trust-worthy mechanic yet. I got a quote on this job from two different mechanics and both quoted the parts around 300 and the labor around 300 (not including alignment), which makes NO sense to me after reading your guide.

Here is my question:
                The quote states that the OUTER and INNER tie rods will be replaced. You only mentioned one part (ES425. What parts is my quote talking about?

The parts listed are:

ROD STRG L / Tie Rod (45A1059)
                and
                Steering Tie Rod End Outer (401-2059)

I know I am posting in an old thread, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arse
                Both of the part numbers you provided are outer tie rods. I assume the two part numbers came from different shops? Honestly check the tie rods yourself, and do the work yourself. Its not hard. Also double check the quote, any quote for tie rods should include an alignment.
                1972 F100
                1978 Twinstar
                1992 Miata
                2014 Mustang

Comment

Put on the new lower arms, the end links, the sway bar ties and the stainless brake lines.
                  My only failure was the sway bar bushings. I don't know how the heck y'all get to those bolts.

Oh....those lower arms were a bitch. Pass side requires lower motor mount partial removal and cutting about 1/4" from the bolt. Drivers side requires engine support and the removal of the engine brace. Oh...and loosen the back bolt on the arm for easier install. Then tighten once you put the wheels on and drop it so the suspension is on a load.

Now the car goes into hiding till I get her aligned.
                  Last edited by Lampoon; 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM.

MODS:

Comment

Ok...I tightened this bolt while the suspension was under load.....is that correct?

Also any idea what the torque is on that killer nut??

MODS:

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon View Post
                      Ok...I tightened this bolt while the suspension was under load.....is that correct?

Also any idea what the torque is on that killer nut??

If I remember, I'll look up the torque spec next week.

Also, yes. You always tighten suspension bushing in their "happy place". AKA the normal position they are in when the car is sitting on the ground.
                      1972 F100
                      1978 Twinstar
                      1992 Miata
                      2014 Mustang

Comment

Torque is supposed to be 44 Nm (32 ft lbs.) Also supposed to put loctite on the threads as per the service manual
                        Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Snap...forgot the locktite.... Does it say blue or red?

MODS:

Comment

Manual says Loctite 234 or equivalent... not sure that ever existed though, might be a typo in the manual for 243, in which case it would be blue
                            Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

I know this thread is old, but I just went in for an alignment and was told the right inner TRE has too much play and needs eplaced before I can get it aligned. Are the inners similar to the outers? or is ther another guide/how to I need to look for?

I just really dont think its worth 400 bucks after labor.
                              My Rides
                              '02 Corvette Convertible
                              '06 G6 Coupe GT

Stop sign / Bad driver
                              Superfluous / Pedestrian

Comment

Working...
                              X