Questions on installing aftermarket head unit and sirius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on installing aftermarket head unit and sirius

I am tring to install my pioneer DEH-P9600MP and sir-pnr1 siruis box in my g6 gtp. I have allready bought the metra 2 install kit. I've tried to use the search to answer my questions but i was unable to find anything of use.

(1) I know the monsoon system of with i have uses 2 ohm speakers. When i install the radio will i need to change all the speakers over to a 4 ohm setup? I am NOT planning to install any after maket subwoofer i am mainly installing my radio for the features it has and so i can have sirius in my car. Also i am doing it for more sound clarity. I will in the future upgrade my door speakers. I used this radio in my truck and the sound clarity was way better than the monsoon.

(2) i am planning to use the stock XM antenna and cut and splice the end to be used with my sirius box wich is directly wired into my pioneer. Has anyone done this before and does anyone have pictures what the XM antenna end looks like?

It would be greatly appreiacted if anyone could help before i start dissasembling my 6er.
    -Craig
    -06 3.9L GTP
    -6-speed manual
    -VMS Tune 93 octane
    -Dual Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust w/o resonator
    -Filled front/rear transmission mounts
    -Eibach springs
    -Stillen Engine Dampener
    -DS Stage 4 intake
    -DS Cold air box
    -GM strut tower brace

1) You'll have no problems. I have a DEH-P7700MP hooked up with the Terk universal XM box and Pioneer Adapter with the stock speakers.
    edit: I should make one statement. My front drivers side speakers seem to have an intermittant problem that may be the deck or a crappy soldering job. It should be noted just in case, as I guess that it means that I do have a problem.

2) I believe that e2helper has said that the stock XM antenna won't work with aftermarket kits, as impendence would be an issue.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

You can probably use the stock XM antenna with sirius, a lot of people have without problems.

I've used the stock XM off a G6 to wire into 2 players I have and they worked perfectly fine, so yeah it 'can' be done.

Comment

Thanks very much for the help.

Hey Tom did get your steering wheel controls to work with it? I know there is an electronic wired adapter that is out there for owr radios. Did you see my install instructions on the engine shock dampener yet? Been working like a dream for me so far
        -06 3.9L GTP
        -6-speed manual
        -VMS Tune 93 octane
        -Dual Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust w/o resonator
        -Filled front/rear transmission mounts
        -Eibach springs
        -Stillen Engine Dampener
        -DS Stage 4 intake
        -DS Cold air box
        -GM strut tower brace

Comment

never any need to change the speakers due to an ohm difference. the 4 ohm setting of the head unit is just to show stability and safety. basically, the lower the ohms the more power, unfortunately, lowering the ohms creates instability and a danger of damaging something. not a factor in a simple head unit swap. if you do replace your door speakers, i would upgrade the stock wiring, its a bitch to do but well worth it if you are lookin for clairty. the stock wiring just isnt high enough quality to push too much power through. the impedence destroys the quality and power of the signal.
          White '06 G6 V6 Sedan 1SV
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Pioneer DEH-P6600DVD
          2 Infinity Kappa Perfect6.1 6 1/2" Components
          2 Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6"x9" 3-ways
          2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQ 12" Subs
          MA Audio M489i 800w 4-channel Amp
          MA Audio HK802SX 4400w 2-channel AMP
          AlumaPro CAP5 5 Farad High Flow Capacitor
          10% Llumar Tint

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman

Hey Tom did get your steering wheel controls to work with it? I know there is an electronic wired adapter that is out there for owr radios. Did you see my install instructions on the engine shock dampener yet? Been working like a dream for me so far
            I'm intrested in knowing as well. Plan to add a single din flip out later on.
            2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

Here is a link to an adaptor that works. I have not personally used it but a friend has and reports that there are no issues so far.

I would recommend searching around for a better retailer than Crutchfield (they are overpriced).

Steering wheel control interface — use your factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket stereo
              White '06 G6 V6 Sedan 1SV
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Pioneer DEH-P6600DVD
              2 Infinity Kappa Perfect6.1 6 1/2" Components
              2 Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6"x9" 3-ways
              2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQ 12" Subs
              MA Audio M489i 800w 4-channel Amp
              MA Audio HK802SX 4400w 2-channel AMP
              AlumaPro CAP5 5 Farad High Flow Capacitor
              10% Llumar Tint

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman

I eventually will try to get the steering wheel controls working with it, but I haven't made the attempt yet. Maybe in the spring.

My original plan was to get the ipod adapter, and ipod, and swap back to my factory deck, as it looks a lot nicer than the aftermarket options that we have. I changed my mind when I put XM in the other week.

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Working...
                X