Need: Wiring Schematics for Rear Defroster/Defogger Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need: Wiring Schematics for Rear Defroster/Defogger Button

Can anyone provide me with a wiring schematic for the rear defogger button?

Basically, I'm working on a project to heat the side windows in the coupe to melt ice and eliminate the indexing problem we're experiencing. I want to tie the heating system into the rear defogger button so one button triggers the rear window and door window systems...

Basically, I'm looking for anywhere I can tap into that system so that pushing the button will trigger my systems...

Thanks!!!
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Uh, don't you need to be inside the car to push the button? In which case, why would you need to fix the indexing? I'm a little confused.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
      Uh, don't you need to be inside the car to push the button? In which case, why would you need to fix the indexing? I'm a little confused.
      I think if you remote start, and the ambient temperature is below a certain point, the defroster is automatically triggered. I remote started yesterday, and when I got in, the rear window defroster light was on...as soon as I turned the key, it went out.
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Ah.. I just happen to know absolutely nothing about the remote start system. What with the six speed manual and all...

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
          Ah.. I just happen to know absolutely nothing about the remote start system. What with the six speed manual and all...
          Ahh...true, true. I tend to be a bit remote-centric. I keep forgetting the manual guys get the shaft.

On another note, I have confirmed my theory!

Originally posted by 2006 Owner Manual, Page 3-28
          If your vehicle has the remote start feature, the rear defogger will automatically be turned on if it is cold outside. The indicator light will be on. When the vehicle transitions out of the remote start mode, the rear defogger will turn off.
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

But if you have remote start, the regular defroster doesn't melt the windows for you?

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
              But if you have remote start, the regular defroster doesn't melt the windows for you?
              It can...but sometimes it's either not fast enough, or the ice and/or snow is too thick and it can't do it alone.

Plus, we're all assuming I would REMEMBER to set the mode knob to defrost the night before. What would be nice about this project is that, because the rear window defroster auto-senses cold weather and kicks in automatically, if I forget to set the mode knob the night before, I can still get into the car...
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I wish I could help you as I am very interested in this project, good luck!
                Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Just to let you know how it works.

The switch in HVAC control head on base system sends a signal to the BCM. BCM drives relay in rear electrical center which activates the rear grid. The BCM is also the module that decides that it is cold enough to turn on the rear defog during a remote start (based on outside air temperature sensor).

The signal from the HVAC control head to the BCM is only a pulsed signal. One pulse to turn on and another to toggle off.

On automatic HVAC system this communication to BCM is done via a data bus and not a separate wire. However BCM still drives this relay in rear of vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                    Just to let you know how it works.

The switch in HVAC control head on base system sends a signal to the BCM. BCM drives relay in rear electrical center which activates the rear grid. The BCM is also the module that decides that it is cold enough to turn on the rear defog during a remote start (based on outside air temperature sensor).

The signal from the HVAC control head to the BCM is only a pulsed signal. One pulse to turn on and another to toggle off.

On automatic HVAC system this communication to BCM is done via a data bus and not a separate wire. However BCM still drives this relay in rear of vehicle.
                    So basically, I want to tap into the system at the relay, not at the button, right?
                    2009 PONTIAC G8
                    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Yes if you want something that is turning on at the same time as the rear defogger. However the rear defog fuse is pretty heavily loaded by the rear glass so you couldn't add much too it or you might blow fuse. On similar Malibu and Aura they have heated outside mirrors on same relay but use a different fuse. However you can't add that fuse to the G6 rear electrical center

Comment

Yes if you want something that is turning on at the same time as the rear defogger. However the rear defog fuse is pretty heavily loaded by the rear glass so you couldn't add much too it or you might blow fuse. On similar Malibu and Aura they have heated outside mirrors on same relay but use a different fuse. However you can't add that fuse to the G6 rear electrical center
                        That's not a problem. I planned to run an independent power source to the windows, but add in my own relay that would be triggered by the car relay to kick in at the same time...

Thanks man! You just made my day!
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

e2helper:

I know GM doesn't use a typical off-the-shelf relay like you'd find at radio shack. Are you able to tell me which pin on the defog relay in that trunk panel is the one with the output signal?

Thanks man!
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I'm sorry, the Malibu has heated mirrors? And a strut bar if you get the SS. Where exactly do we see the benefit of spending $2-3000 more on an equivalent G6?

Do me a favour and pass this on to the marketing guys: Pontiac is supposed to be a more premium division than Chevy, and as such, should include better equipment in stock form than an equivalent Chevy.

Thanks.

sigpic

Comment

phase 1 complete!

I was bored tonight so I ran all the preliminary wiring for my project.

Have a line running from the trunk power center to the front, wires from inside each door to the dash, and a new power line from the battery to the dash...

now all i need is my heating elements, wire 'em up, and we're gonna know for sure if my project is a success!
                              2009 PONTIAC G8
                              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X