Intake Resonator Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Resonator Removal

Alright, I've already looked at the other threads concerning this, and I was still unable to figure it out.

On my GTP coupe, when I go to remove the intake resonator, it seems that (standing in front of the car looking down) on the back right side of the resonator, there is a bolt connecting it to either the framerail or the inside the fenderwell.

Other members have mentioned three snap-in clips that hold it in place - I can get two of them to release, but I still have this third bolt. I think LoJac had this same problem, but GTPguy seemed to get it off pretty easily.

any advice?
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

I really can't explain it. I just felt around with my finger and pulled them up and over to get them off. They're all the same.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

so are you saying that its more like a locking-tab style? I thought they were like interference clips that you had to 'pop' straight out
      Originally posted by colinpeddle
      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
      That here, by G6er law, we lie
      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

I couldn't get that rear clip to come off when I took mine out, I believe its held on by a small bolt. I took a long wood chisel and just sliced though the mounting tab holding the resonator the to the car and it came out.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

to give you an idea, here is what the tabs look like:

Now, on the car itself, there are pieces sticking out with round rubber tabs on them, kinda like the one on top of the engine bay that the intake pipe bolts to (on the battery side). You need to get those plastic circular tabs on the resonator over the rubber pieces on the car.
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Whoa!! That things F-in' HUGE!

When I get a warmmoment, I'l go out, remove it, do a complete how to with pics to clear this all up!
            Straight up Pimp Trollin'
            2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
            w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what's the point of removing the intake resinator? Does it just make for a deaper, throaty sounding car? Are there any performance gains, fuel savings, etc.?
              -Kevin
              2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
              2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Well if you were to see this god awful monstrawwwwwcity you would understand how I'm sure it helps the car to breathe a bit easier. This thing is HUGE with a small air reservior on the side and a larger air reservior on the bottom of the entire setup. As for the sound, yeah it gives the car a little bit of a deaper sound but not much like some have claimed.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Okay guy... I need some major help, got the resonator loose and moveable.. now how in the FUCK did you guys get it out of that hole??
                  Originally posted by Toyz
                  Originally posted by simplyred
                  what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                  As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I had to take my air drill and drill the smaller side air reservior off of the main unit to get the whole thing out. There is no way it will come out I'm pretty sure without cutting on it. You'll never need it again so just tear it up. I spidered my paint on my lower front bumper cover cause someone said it would come out and it doesn't.

Comment

so a hacksaw or something and just cut that smaller tank off.. thats what I was thinking I was going to have to do because I was getting pissed to the point where I would have messed up my paint or something!

Comment

I hear ya, thats how my paint was spiderwebbed. Got pissed and tried pushed the thing down to move it around and screwed my paint up. I used an air drill with the biggest bit I could and just drilled holes one after the other and twisted the small tank off. The plastic is ungodly thick so I think you'll be working at it a while with a hacksaw.

Comment

Alrighty, well I got it off in about 2 mins with the hacksaw LOL...I figured Id try it out since a couple other people had done it! Hopefully it sounds a tad different when opening it up.. I'll have to wait for the roads to be nice and clean to try it out for myself!

Comment

Yeah it does have a nice low mellow tone when easing through the RPM's but don't expect anything drastic like I did. When I took the one off my cavvy it was night and day-the thing sounded meaner than hell so I was kinda disapointed when I took this one out and it changed it just barely. But oh well it still sounds better.

Comment

I would definatly have to say that I notice a difference... a nice low tone is exactly what I got, pretty much exactly what I wanted!

Comment

Working...
                              X