No announcement yet.

G6 not the only hard top convertable..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G6 not the only hard top convertable..

meet the EOS..
    taken from http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1767.shtml

starts at $28k for the turbo.. $37k for the VR6..
    2.0T models will start arriving in dealers in August and September with a formal market launch in the U.S. on Labor Day weekend. Later in the fourth quarter of this year a 250-hp 3.2-liter VR6 model will be added to the lineup. All 3.2 models will include Package 1 equipment and DSG standard, starting at $36,800. Package 2 Luxury and Sport packages are the same as the 2.0T above with an 18" wheel upgrade included in Package 2 Sport in the 3.2 VR6. An additional "Technology Package" option is available on the V6 models that includes Park Distance Control and Bi-xenon headlamps with AFS (Advanced Frontlight System - steerable headlamps that turn left and right slightly when the steering wheel is turned left and right) for $1,400.

The Eos’s main competition here in the U.S. will be Pontiac’s G6 Convertible and Volvo’s C70 Convertible, both with folding hardtops and similar objectives but different executions. While the Eos undercuts the Pontiac G6 Convertible in base price ($27,990 vs. $28,365) the Pontiac includes a 217hp 3.5l V6, automatic transmission and more standard equipment topping out at around $32,000 fully loaded. The G6 is clearly the bargain leader in this group. The Volvo on the other hand starts at $38,710, is slightly larger than the Eos, but only offers a 218hp 5-cylinder turbo with no V6 option. Fully loaded it comes to an eye-watering $47,795 sticker price.

I like this one alot.

[/i]
    2002 12v GTI

I don't like the shifter on the auto. Looks too simple. No tap shift mode?
    2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

There's paddles on the steering wheel... F1 racing stylz yo!

The DSG tranny is pretty sweet although I'm old fashion and would stick to the 6 speed.

Basicly there are two clutches. One handles 1st, 3rd, and 5th... the other 2nd, 4th, and 6th. So while one is disengaing it's gear the other simaltaneously(sp?) engages it's gear. This provides for amazingly fast gear changes... faster than a professional racer can even do.

The only drawback right now, besides being more expensive both new and to repair, is the DSG has an electronic torque limitter. This has prevented friends of mine from reaching the full potentential of there little turbo four bangers.

300 lb*ft of torque is possible from the 2.0T with just bolt ons.. (chip & CAI)
      My buddies DSG equipped GTI limmited it to 240 though.
      2002 12v GTI

Comment

I have friends with VR6 jetta's and other VDubs and I've just never been a fan of them. Don't get me wrong they are very nice cars just not my thing.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

The DSG is a riot to drive, but I get the feeling that the novelty would wear off in about a day.

But I'm a hard core manual transmission fan.

That and the car just strikes me as a woman's car.

A nice car, but I would never own one myself.
          2006 Saturn ION Redline...slightly modded.

Comment

The new Sebring will also have a hardtop version.

Comment

Originally posted by handyjoe
              The DSG is a riot to drive, but I get the feeling that the novelty would wear off in about a day.

But I'm a hard core manual transmission fan.

That and the car just strikes me as a woman's car.

A nice car, but I would never own one myself.
              lol... coming from someone who drives an Ion.
              I'm just messin w/ya. I see lots of chicks driving G6s, Jettas (not many in golf/gtis though), New beetles, and saturns.

There's nothing wrong w/that. Women have to get places too.
              It's when you start tweaking that turbo engine to be surprisingly fast that the masculenity(sp?) of the car comes out.... or something...

FTR, I was actualy looking at this car for the girlfriend. I see you point.
              2002 12v GTI

Comment

The G6 never was the "only" hardtop convertible. Lexus and Mercedes both have hardtop convertibles.

I've seen the Eos driving around. It's not a bad looking car. It's a little bit smaller than the G6 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                  The G6 never was the "only" hardtop convertible. Lexus and Mercedes both have hardtop convertibles.

I've seen the Eos driving around. It's not a bad looking car. It's a little bit smaller than the G6 I think.
                  True! My mom drives a SC430. Before that car I would have never considered a convertable. Now I think they're kind of fun.
                  Both of those cars are pretty much two seaters though. The back seats are just big enough for groceries. The Pontiac, VW, and Volvo are more like sedan drop tops.... w/two doors.

I do think the EOS is priced pretty crazy. You can tell VW was aiming for the G6 since they start at nearly the same price. Options on the EOS start adding up really REALLY fast though.... to the point of the V6 being nearly as expensive as the Volvo.
                  2002 12v GTI

Comment

The blackone looks aight, if it wasnt for those wheels. Although i would never buy one, they dont look to shabby!
                    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

It doesn't do anything for me. When the top is down the car flows nicely. The car looks goofy in the rear when the top is up, like an afterthought.

Front end grill work says "yawn".

This is probably my least liked VW.
                      BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                      ^ The Man
                      v The Legend

Comment

The only other question I have about it (and this can only be verified by actually driving the thing, so I won't make any judgements here) is "Can you have a discussion at speed with the top down?"

I drove a SAAB 9-3 convertible, and with the top down on the freeway my friend and I were having a pretty normal convo. Maybe a little louder due to the passing cars, but the car itself was surprisingly quiet at speed.
                        2006 Saturn ION Redline...slightly modded.

Comment

I'd rock it... but only black and I would never put the top up haha I think its fugly with the top up.. top down, change wheels and it wouldnt be a bad little car IMO
                          Originally posted by Toyz
                          Originally posted by simplyred
                          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

While I would prefer if all conversation related to the EOS continued in this thread, I won't lock this one.

However I will suggest that you use the search feature in the future.

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

snap!

I'm new. All the threads have unread icons by 'em. I didn't use search but did glance down the page.... not sure how I missed it.

Sorry!
                              2002 12v GTI

Comment

Working...
                              X