Thinking about a system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a system

I've done quite a few in the past. Some for myslef, some for others; which include: 4 MTX 12's in an Accord, 2 MTX 15's in a Maxima, 4 MTX 10's in a Probe, and 2 RF 12's in a Grand Am.

If I do a system in mine, I never go small, so it will probably be 4 10's. The thing is, if I do it I'd like to do it in all 1 brand as much as possible. It looks cleaner and if I ever want to make a show car, it looks better and you're much more likely to get a sponser...but that is down the road.

For the actual question...I was looking into a few brands and I came down to two brands: MTX or Alpine

I would be doing virtually everything:head unit, speakers, amps for all speakers, and subs. I realize that MTX doesn't make head units, so ignore that! Just want your alls opinion! Thanks!
    Alpine
    0%
    MTX
    0%
    Some days your the dog...some days your the fire hydrant!

I'll say MTX
    myspace.com/chanman321

Comment

I've had MTX stuff that sounds pretty good. Never had Alpine.

Comment

uhhhh so what are we talking here? 4 mtx 9510s or like 5510s and Alpine type E or type X. We need to get a better picture of what you plan on going with. I will be honest with you you are going to have some serious problems trying to fit 4 10"s in the trunk. There just isn't enough room to fit the subs and the box. Oh and what kind of power are you looking to put to them. If you plan on the 9500 or the type x you are going to need some serious electrical work if you plan on doing them right.
        Originally posted by Nikki
        You are an e-pimp.
        Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
        I tried too, my penis way too big
        07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
        My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
        The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

Yeah you need to be more specific, both make products that are better and worse than the other company.

But just to be really general, I'd go with certain Alpine drivers with MTX amp(s).

Comment

Nothing but love for MTX Amps....
            2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Comment

Alpine would be like: MRP-M450 amp and SWE-1042 subs
              MTX would be Thunder TC 3001 amo and Thunder 4500 subs

As for fit, I guarntee no problems at all. I will have to build a custom encloser no doubt, but they'll fit. I put 4 in a Ford Probe without a problem. As for power, I think the entire system is right around 1000w which shouldn't be anything a 2.0 farad cap wouldn't fix. And if it were too much, another battery would fix that too. THEN, I may be looking at fitment issues.

Comment

I would go with Alpine...
                Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

Go with the Alpine drivers and MTX amp. The Type E will sound a lot better, and that MTX amp is the better of the two. But you would need another amp anyways, neither of those will handle powering 4 drivers. But I'm sure you were aware of that so yeah.

Do a big 3 upgrade first before you waste your money on a cap, they are not the solution for insufficient power and having a inadequate electrical system. 4 10's should fit fine just don't plan on having any trunk space at all lol.

If I may suggest though is to put it off and just get 2 better drivers and a better amp, that way you won't waste all that trunk space and you'll have a better all around system. I'm sure you are aware that they are both lowest line, and just because you have more of them won't make them better than the same money spent on 2. Just an idea, not trying to be a prick or anything.

Comment

Ill say mtx also...if you are planning on doing it all in one brand.

fitting 4 wont be a problem and still have some trunk left. especially if you take out spare tire and use that hole to help

Comment

Alpine is expensive, but their quality is very good. I prefer their subs over MTX as well.
                      Originally posted by colinpeddle
                      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                      That here, by G6er law, we lie
                      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Mtx amps are designed by xtant. I am cool with their amps fo sho. Now as for their subs I laugh. I have a buddy with a pair of 9500's and just 2 of my w6v2's are louder and sound a hell of a lot better. Type e's are ok I guess. If you build a bad ass box that will help alot. One thing to think about is that you need to match impedences with the highest power of the amp.
                        You are an e-pimp.
                        07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.

Comment

Originally posted by disposablehero
                          Mtx Now as for their subs I laugh. I have a buddy with a pair of 9500's and just 2 of my w6v2's are louder and sound a hell of a lot better. One thing to think about is that you need to match impedences with the highest power of the amp.
                          As you can see, I've had quite a few MTX subs in the past and I have never had any complaints about them. I love the way they sound and their price. I have always respected JL for there BOOM, but never for crisp sound. As for matching impediance, I would buy two amps with two subs per amp bridged to 2ohms.

Originally posted by Interfire
                          Do a big 3 upgrade first before you waste your money on a cap, they are not the solution for insufficient power and having a inadequate electrical system
                          What is a "big 3" upgrade? And a cap is never a waste of money. It may not be the cure-all that people try to use it for, but it does have a purpose...even in systems with enough power.

Comment

If you like the way the MTX sounds, then the Alpine will blow you away. I am a fan of MTX but as far as sound quality goes, there is none.

Upgrading the big 3 wires under your hood, which is a lot more effective than adding a cap. There is a write up by Joey in the how-to I believe, but anyways it's 1) Battery negative to chassis 2) Alternator to battery positive 3) Chassis to engine.

Caps may have their purpose for high end competition systems, but for the everyday user they are a waste of money. The cap is that last step in the chain no matter what. Big 3 -> Alternator -> Capacitor.

Comment

You forgot extra bat or better bat. Anyways you have heard the wrong jl subs man. I wish you were close so I could educate you on the w6v2. Go alpine subs single 4 ohm vc and parallel them to 2 ohms. And pick the MTX amp that gets you the 300 watts rms at 2 ohms. You will be set. Glad we could help and post some pics when you get it up and running. I think this thread has run its course.
                              You are an e-pimp.

Comment

Working...
                              X